Thursday 22 March 2018

Back to the Flotation Belt Blues: Thursday, March 22nd!

One day I was speeding along at the typewriter, and my daughter -- who was a child at the time -- asked me, "Daddy, why are you writing so fast?" And I replied, "Because I want to see how the story turns out!" -Louis L'Amour, novelist (22 Mar 1908-1988)

Hi Patrick: Thanks so much for a great visit -you, Corinne aka Lady Dar and Cloe are so hospitable. I really enjoyed myself! Angela and I drank the wine last night -it was delicious. I hope you had a good ride -the weather was sensational. Talk to you soon -I’m off to a toga class. Love Rhod 

Hi Ski, et al! Pleased to learn that your drive went well and you celebrated with Okanagan wine! Bravo. Hope your "toga" class was fun! Are you sewing costumes for next Halloween? The three of us certainly enjoyed your visit even if it was too, too short. Duke and Etta miss you as well, especially Duke as he wanted to show you his latest trick. Lady Dar was watching something in the Rumpus Room yesterday afternoon and she noticed the cupboard door opened slowly and Duke emerged!
He finally figured out that he can let himself out of his cubby hole without going the long way around! Clever Lad! This morning I took out the recycling and left the door under the sink open. When I returned I replaced the container and closed the door. Sat at my computer and a few moments later I noticed the door opened partially and closed again, opened partially and closed again. Third time I realized Duke must have gone in to explore and I shut him inside! I think he would have been able to force his way out had I not been around although it is a stiffer door to open than one in Rumpus Room. Talk about transfer of learned skills! 

Was raining pretty heavily this morning and I had decided, when I heard forecast, that I'd head to the pool for a session of deep-water walking. By the time I was ready to go, Lady Dar dropped me off as she had a couple of appointments. Spent two and a half hours doing my workout. Had forgotten it was Spring Break so pool was filled with school kids. Should have brought ear-plugs as noise level was pretty high with shrieks and screams but it was fun to have to dodge the ones on floating mats, fighting with each other for possession of their "pirate" ships! Some of the other adults were not amused, at least by the frowns on their faces, but I was just happy to be surrounded by so much unbridled energy and imagination at work.
So interesting to observe how "play" figures in the lives of all or most mammalian young. You will remember that you asked me lf I didn't become bored but I didn't have time to think about much as I was kept busy listening to those conversations close to me and observing the interactions going on between friends and classmates. Must say that the few mothers who were in deep end, with younger children, were very good about reminding their charges to always be aware of those around them, as we'd smile at each other, knowing what a wonderful zoo it all was! 

After a glorious steam, sauna and hot-tub I changed and expected to walk back home. However, it was pelting down, almost monsoon-like, so I phoned Lady Dar and she came to collect me. I thanked my lucky stars as I would have been soaked to the bone had I had to hoof it, even though I had a small umbrella. Lady Dar had already eaten dinner before she came to pick me up as she was off to a meeting on a regional compost centre.
Chloë had a hair appointment after work so I'm all alone with the kittens. Had to towel off Duke when he came inside as he was soaked as it continues to rain quite steadily. Glad you visited when you did otherwise we probably wouldn't have been able to ride. Speaking of which, I've included my descriptions of the KVR outings and my ride yesterday. If you click on the hyper-link it should take you to the Garmin site with map, etc. If link doesn't work, cut and paste address into your browser. You can also invoke the triangular button at the bottom of the map screen and it will show "you" riding! Anyway, great good fun and It was a treat to have an enthusiastic riding companion even if the "stoppage" was horrendous! Must away as I have to arrange my income tax material as we are taking all our documentation to an accountant tomorrow. What with sale of loft and capital gains it entails we don't want to make any mistakes and have Revenue Canada making our lives miserable. Enjoy the rest of your stay and take care of yourself, Ski. Fondest from The Burns Street Gang, Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Some KVR shots and Arrivederci Ski!

Thanks for the details of our visit. I am so impressed with your prose and memory. I am at Al and Aline’s resting after spending the past evening and day with Angela. This morning at 8:15am we did a class for core and then we played 2 hours of pickleball! Tons of fun. I played with a guy in a wheelchair -he was excellent. When I got to Ocean Park the sun started to shine so I went down to Crescent Beach and walked the beach -gorgeous !
 
Now I’m planning my Friday trying to figure out if I can go to some of the JUNO free concerts as well as buy the $30 ticket to go to some of the show cases. I’m meeting my sister Joan tomorrow so I’m hoping I can talk her into checking out the music. So much to do and do little time! I’ll keep you in the loop! Lol Take care say hi to the girls -I miss ya Rhoda

TSE, Shui Yim September 12, 1936 – March 16, 2018


We are sad to announce that Mr. Yim Tse, a former Chinese Librarian with Asian Library, passed away on March 16, 2018. Prior to his time as Chinese Librarian, Mr. Tse worked as both a Student Assistant and Library Assistant with the Asian Library. In 1968 Mr. Tse took on the position of Chinese Librarian, a post he held until his retirement in 1999. Mr. Tse was highly respected by UBC faculty and students for his knowledge and in-depth reference support. In addition to his contributions as a librarian, Mr. Tse was also a devoted supporter of the UBC library. Over the years, his family has donated to the Basil Stuart Stubbs Book Prize Fund, the Asian Library Renovation Fund and the Rosa Wai Wai Ho Scholarship in Asian Studies. His gift-in-kind donations are important research materials to the Chinese collection in the Asian library. A celebration of his life will be held on March 30, 2018 at 9:30 am at Forest Lawn Funeral Home. Mr. Tse’s obituary can be viewed. Susan E. Parker, University Librarian, UBC Library
 
See you then! Hello Steinbach! Sorry we can't connect at Spirit Ridge. Warm Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to you both. Take care of yourselves until next our paths cross.  Cheers, Patrizzio!



No comments:

Post a Comment