Sunday 22 April 2018

Blackwater to Mill Hill Broadway Blues: Sunday, April 22nd!

 If you want to work on your art, work on your life. -Anton Chekhov, short-story writer and dramatist (1860-1904)


Hello Mill Hill Mob! Trust everyone is well! Have had a splendid time with Gayle and Derek. I'm catching the Truro to London train at 10:33 am this morning. All going as scheduled it is to arrive at Paddington at 16:22. If this is the case I presume I can catch the tube there, at 17:00 or 17:30 to take me to St Pancras to change to trains for Mill Hill to arrive at 17:51 or 18:21. If you could send me your mobile # I can give you a shout as my trip unfolds. I know there is track work between St Austell and Plymouth as we are to be put on a bus for that leg. What that might mean in terms of potential delays only time will tell. Anyway, certainly looking forward to catching up. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Patrizio Good to hear from you. Here is my mobile no and we will be here waiting for you at 6pm ish. Let me know if any probs. Got back from Ireland at 9.40 last night so need to go shopping and get room ready before you come. Love Penny and Madcap xx Hello Dubliners! Thanks for your number, Penny! Sorry to put you through all this, just being back from hols! Bus trip went well from St Austell so am aboard already and train is supposed to leave in about ten minutes. I'll probably give you a call when I'm about to board train for Mill Hill, at least if I'm able to figure out how to use my new alcatel mobile. I need to be travelling with a six year old to help me with cell technology. Is Max available? Hello to Madcap. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

You may need to have +44 and drop the 0 - we had the same thing trying to phone Ireland! Speak soon - hopefully! Xx Hi again, Duhlink! Thanks for suggestions. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, I need plenty of help to know which keys to press for what before I can even worry about dialing! Perhaps Max should Skype me and give me a tutorial! If you hear wailing from Mill Hill Broadway Station it's probably me! Cheers, Patrizzio!  Hi Pat If it’s easier get a northern line tube to Colindale and we can meet you there. (Edgware line). Trains are awful on Sundays as engineering work is always being done so fingers crossed you don’t get too held up. X

Hi Sassy Haircut Girl! Great style! Trust you are well. I did give Spuddy your best wishes whenever I stroked his head. Poor thing often cries but when petted seems to find comfort in the touch. In spite of their required care and concern for Spuddy, enjoyed a splendid time with Gayle and Derek. [Hope I'm able to put together album from yesterday's wonderful outing shortly.] I was pretty well packed last night so after a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs and ham, on Gayle's home-made bread, they took me to the station. They hope to visit next year. They are off on an Alaska cruise this summer but won't have time this trip. After we said our goodbyes, I caught the Truro to London train at 10:33 am. All going as scheduled it is to arrive at Paddington at 16:22. If this is the case I presume I can catch the tube there, at 17:00 or 17:30 to take me to St Pancras to change to trains for Mill Hill to arrive at 17:51 or 18:21 to stay with Penny. There is track work between St Austell and Plymouth so we were put on a bus for that leg. 

Bus trip went very well from St Austell so I was aboard for half an hour or more before train left for London, right on time. I sent Penny a message telling her I'd probably give her a call when I'm about to board train for Mill Hill, at least if I'm able to figure out how to use my new alcatel mobile. I need to be travelling with a three year old to help me with cell technology. Asked her if Max, her grandson, was available?  Love and Cheers, Dad! Pics: Dinner last night! Absolutely delicious Greek salad along with Gayle's home-made bread; I was "teaching" Derek how to attach picture files. He was always cutting & pasting his pictures so they were too large to view when reading his messages. Spuddy seeks attention; too much malt for Derek! Cuddles at last! Hello Penticton and Falcon and Squamish!Trust everyone is well. How are Etta and Duke? Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Hello Lady Patrizzia and Sir James! Trust you are both well! Certainly looking forward to catching up whenever that might work for you. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks for the great photos. Just work a 6 hr. shift at the Maker's Fair where we got about 400 signatures on our petition to ban plastic bags and straws in Penticton. Went to Crystal--Cique du Soleil program last night which was breathtaking and to great film called Meditation Park set in Vancouver's Chinatown and around the PNE. Sandra Oh stars as the daughter. About a couple from Hong Kong who are in their 60's and the woman is really isolated because her English is poor and she has always stayed at home until she discovers that her husband is having an affair. 
 
Spent last night with Chloe and Katie went to the wine bar and used my credit also to the Cannery first. Girls thought about putting beer and popcorn on your tab. Getting ready for church and more hours at the Makers fair 12-4 shift. Just got loved up by Etta giving me love bites. Give Penny & Mike my love. Enjoy London! Hugs Cora Lee Wonderful pics, it is such a beautiful area! Looks right out of Goodbye Christopher Robin xoxo This is the longest letter you've ever written so I shall keep it forever. Never question Nana's love for you Poppa, this email is proof Lol!
 
Hello Rosemary and Andre! Trust you are both well, wherever you are!  I will stay in Mill Hill with friend, Penny. If you could send me your mobile #'s I can give you a shout, at some point, to work out details of trip to Chabeuil. Of course I will be in touch by email as my trip unfolds. Anyway, certainly looking forward to catching up when you are back in London. Do you have any fixed date yet? Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Pat I am in Maple Ridge and heading to Whistler today then heading down to Vancouver on Monday to catch the plane to Heathrow. Rosemary has the phone number so will certainly send you the info. We will talk on Monday and can depart relatively quickly. Andre

Patrick James Dunn Hello from London! I assume you were walking on the KVR with Katie. My walk with Gayle and Derek this past Saturday. Love to you and The Kittens!

Chloe Alexis Dunn You are correct D, also did Skaha Bluffs Saturday!!! 😘
 
Patrick James Dunn You'll be joining my hiking group soon! Cheers from Lazy Mimi!

Hi Andre! Thanks for letting me know your travel plans. Trust all goes well with your flight to London. Had an email from Rosemary and she provided me with her numbers, as well as important information on French train strikes. Obviously something we will have to take into account. I arrived in Mill Hill Broadway yesterday, Sunday, from Cornwall. I'll be in touch with Rosemary and leave her numbers where I can be reached. Travel safely. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hi Pat, Hope you have enjoyed the few hot days we have been experiencing - tomorrow is forecast to cool down again. Andre arrives in London on Tuesday afternoon and plans to spend a few days here with me before heading down to Chabeuil. I will not be travelling down until probably Saturday 12th May or possibly later. Unfortunately the French train strikes are messing up everyone’s travel plans. They are off for two days then on for three throughout April, May and June and in July/August it the infamous French summer holiday season. They are on strike on Saturday 28th April and Sunday 29th so probably Tuesday 1st May would be a good day to travel since Monday 30th they will be repositioning and extremely busy. 

Perhaps you can look at possibilities to discuss with Andre once he arrives. Personally I prefer to travel through Lille rather than Paris but at relatively short notice it might be a case of availabilities and price. The journey would be Eurostar from St Pancras to Lille or Paris and then onwards to Valence TGV directly (you have to change stations in Paris). It always seems to be cheaper to book from Canada so might also be worth looking at comparative prices. I know your cycling starts on Sunday May 13th - just to let you know they are on strike again on Tuesday 8th and Wednesday 9th for information when you are arranging your trip to the Czech Republic. Amazing that the French government allows them to behave in this way especially as they are striking about the rights of their children since all current employees benefits are ring-fenced. Retirement age is currently 52 for all rail workers - need I say more! No doubt something for discussion over a glass or two of wine when we meet. 

Here is my home number, without an answerphone turned on - I am away so much that it became frustrating for everyone with me not getting my messages and most use my cellphone number these days anyway. If you are using an overseas phone, you need to put +44 in front and drop the first zero. Look forward to talking soon and seeing you again in Chabeuil this summer or even London. Best wishes, Rosemary XXX

Hi Rosemary! Thanks so much for your numbers as well as the critical information on the strikes. I knew about them but was naively hoping they would be resolved before I arrived! Anyway, will just have to work around dates as best we can so thank you for these alerts. On a happier note, yes, I did enjoy the "hot" weather as the two hikes I took in Cornwall with my hosts, Gayle and Derek, were glorious. Conditions couldn't have been better. Even though it was cooler when I took train to London I didn't mind at all as it was far, far more comfortable traveling, especially getting on and off various trains and a bus. Track work between St Austell and Plymouth so passengers were put on buses for that leg.


I plan to come into London over the next few days to run a few errands and see a number of friends. Once Andre is back perhaps we can arrange to hook up and have a bit of a visit while we plan our journey to Chabeuil. Again, thanks for your most helpful suggestions. Look forward to chatting and getting together. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Attached is album of our hike this past Friday. Hello Sydney House! Trust packing is going well. Thank you again, for everything. The fabulous, fabulous outings, the wonderful, wonderful food and the sheer pleasure of your friendship and companionship. It was a delight being with you and I cannot imagine having a better time. Thanks as well, for allowing me to use your bike, Derek and thanks so much, for all your care and feeding, Gayle. Going to be hard to do my own laundry for rest of trip! Who will bring me my tea now? Anyway, I do appreciate your kindness and ever so generous hospitality.  This morning's lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs and ham, on home-made bread, certainly held me in more than good stead as there was no Café service, of any kind, until after Exeter St Davids! Then, all my First Class ticket allowed was tea, water and some short-bread biscuits which I had great difficulty opening, given that they were packaged as if for interstellar space travel!  

As mentioned, here are the snaps I'd like you to identify, Mr Greenhouse! Don't worry if you can't, [I'm sure you will be able to do so.], as I'll just make up something for the uninformed Canadian audience! Again, enjoy your upcoming trips. Travel safely and take care of each other. No fighting, children! Please give Spuddy a scratch on the head for me. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bedruthan Steps!
 
So glad trip went smoothy and you managed to connect with London hosts. If not there are a number of places in London where rough sleeping is de rigueur! It was good of you to travel all the way down to see us. Glad the weather co-operated while you were here. It turned out sunny again today after a shakey start. On to the flowers. 


The first picture is dead Leylandii an evergreen which makes a good windbreak (except on the Cornish coast obviously!) Second picture is English Bluebells. Third picture common periwinkle. Fourth picture Phlox. Fifth picture The white bush is May. The two specimens under the May look like an alien species and should be eradicated from the Cornish countryside! The sixth picture is Forget me nots. The fifth is Grape Hyacinths in the foreground and Forget me nots at the rear. Hope your weeks cycling are enjoyable. I am sure you will pen details in due course. Hope to see you all next year. In lieu of doing your laundry Gayle is in the bedroom getting her many, many co-ordinated outfits ready for Amsterdam! Cheerio Derek 
 
Dear Invasive Alien Species! Thank you for sharing your field research data before you are whisked off into other inter-galactic worlds! Do appreciate the names, all the better to thwart criticism when the album is finally published. Had hoped to work on it today but have been busy with other chores now that I have to do them for myself! How quickly the maid puts on airs, mimicking her Ladyship Gudrun of Redruth Manor, I'm told! If my fuzzy memory serves me well, you will be in Southampton tomorrow so please pass along congratulations to Marnie. Hip Hip Hooray!


Tonight, before we went to bed, I offered to prepare the meal as both Penny and Mike are working on Monday. Mike has a new job. [He could have kept his old one but it meant moving up north!], as a part-time driver for a florist and he often ends up helping old ladies arrange the flowers he delivers, having a cup of tea with them when they think he is a relative, knowing it is no use arguing! The dinner he prepared this evening, salmon, new potatoes and a crusted pasta, was incredible, as was his mixed salad, with fab vinaigrette dressing. And then his home-made Crème brûlée for dessert! You need to have a cook-off next time we visit Cornwall. Not sure how my efforts, will stack up but if I pour enough wine perhaps they won't notice. Fondestos to you both. Have a wonderful time in Amsterdam and enjoy the tulips. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Lady Dar and Duke!
 
Hi all Monday’s Oldfartfriends, On behalf of Karl suggestion is to conquer the Skaha Bluffs. So, as usual 9:00 at HH in Pen, and 8:40 at IGA in Sum. Cheers
Mike



Hi Mother Katarina! Trust you are well. My flight to London, this past Tuesday, and train connections to Truro went very well so I was in Cornwall on Wednesday. Arrived back in London late this afternoon. Must away as dinner is served. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment