Sunday 8 April 2018

Open Sesame Travel Knapsack Blues: Sunday April 8th!

When the flag is unfurled, all reason is in the trumpet. -Ukrainian proverb 


That is a good one. I hadn't seen this one. Having a great birthday. Going dancing to night. Gail Hi Dancin' Girl! Pleased to hear you were having a grand birthday bash! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Jack. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick I am now in Canada (Saltspring island).  heading over to visit mom, then heading up island perhaps to Port Hardy.  I will give you a call to discuss our travel plans.  I hope to keep this trip short and head back to London towards the end of April where we can meet-up and travel to Chabeuil together. Cheers Andre Hi Andre! Thanks for letting me know your whereabouts. Probably best to call before 11:00 am most mornings or after 5:00 pm most evenings. Will be home tonight, Sunday, as well as on Monday and Wednesday. Out on both Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Next weekend I had thought that I'd drive to Vancouver with Chloë as she will be spending a few days there. However, she will now be leaving on Thursday and I have Book Club that evening. Must now needs take bus, (not that I mind), but now think I'll wait until Saturday as I've scads to do around the house and I'm sure I'll still be packing on Friday night! Anyway, I trust your Island visits/travels go well. Fondestos from Lady Dar, just off to church to pray for my black soul! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello, Patrick:You must be in a huge flurry of final preparations for what sounds like it will be an amazing trip.When I wrote previously, I had heard from Zeb (in Poznan) and Ewa (in Warsaw), both happy at the prospect of perhaps meeting you during your time in Poland.I have since heard from Artur as well, who is not yet sure of where he will be in June (his research work often takes him to other parts of Poland and abroad) but would very much like to hear from you and get together, if possible. He is the only one of my four primary Polish contacts who is actually based in Krakow, where I know that you will definitely be stopping and staying for a bit. Try to allow as much time in Krakow as possible, since it is a stunning city. The Germans used it as an HQ, on account of which it was not destroyed during the war. From Krakow, you can quite easily get to the UNESCO-listed medieval Wieliczka Salt Mine and to Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum, both of which are highly recommended (and perhaps already included on your bike tour?) The latter, of course, is grim . . . but worthwhile.

Also, Cecile wrote to similarly extend a welcome AND to offer accommodation in Warsaw. It seems that she and Dariusz have recently bought a second flat. It sounds a bit basic -- sort of like camping. Not sure if it would interest you, if you do happen to be in Warsaw, but the offer is there. Verbatim:

We would be very happy to see your friends here in Warsaw. June is a beautiful month in Poland and there are plenty of bicycle paths in the town.We could also offer some basic accommodation, if needed, in Warsaw, district of Wilanow (we cou ld visit the Palace nearby) where we bought a small flat last year - basic since the kitchen and the bed are still missing, but the flat is nice. The kitchen is contemplated for June precisely. We can find a solution for the bed. Best regards from Warsaw where Spring time just began :) Cecile and Dariusz
 
Anyhow, won't keep you, so to speak. But hope that you will keep in touch along the way. For your reading pleasure, I include a link to my last trip blog, which you may have seen already,. There is quite a bit in there about Poland, including its amazing museums, which were recently the subject of a lengthy article in the New York Review of Books. Links:

"Hearing Poland's Ghosts" - New York Review of Books, March 22, 2018

Janet's blog: Germany and Poland - September 2017  That's it for now! Hope you have a tremendous European odyssey.Hedgehugs and safe travels.
JanetP.S. By the time you get back, I will be retired. I am even now planning a summer trip to Newfoundland (with sisters and mother) and am in a pleasant state of indecision regarding fall travel plans. So nice not to be in the position of having to parse out limited vacation time (notwithstanding that I never felt cause for complaint about my vacation entitlement at  VPL). PS:
  Auschwitz is approximately 70km west of Krakow by a main highway.  And Poland is pretty flat. J

Hi again, Dearest Travel Agent! Thank you, most sincerely, for your latest efforts on my behalf! Certainly looking forward to seeing your lovely friends. As such things happen, I just wrote to Margareta, our close friend in Aarhus, Denmark, mentioning  the contacts you had provided and that, looking at map of Poland I determined that I could wend my way from Kraków to Warsaw to Poznań before coming to Aarhus. Coincidentally, I also mentioned that I'd like to visit Auschwitz, (Grim though it be, as you mention.), and it seems possible that I could even ride there. Will know more about this later when I've "talked" to the tour leader, Katarina, although I know that tour does include a visit to the Wieliczka Salt Mine. Nevertheless, thanks so much for the various suggestions and background material.  

Funnily enough, I just heard from Andre an hour before your message arrived!Yesterday I was able to work on the pavers in front of new planter as rain finally stopped and sun actually started beaming down around 4:00 pm, although it was still quite chilly! After that I moved about seven loads of firewood, using our empty, wheeled garbage container, from the back of the house to the south side of the house, the last chore I have on my list. Will work away at moving the rest over the course of this coming week.

Must away as I want to use the in-house vacuum outlet in the garage to clean the large, wheeled knapasack I'll be using in Europe. Yesterday I took it down from the storage shelf where it has been patiently waiting since 2105 when we moved here! Thanks again for everything Janet. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Reset pavers/bricks. Will probably rework/expand coverage when back but should be fine for now. I also finally got around to putting more stones along the edge of the sidewalk to keep the lava rock from spilling across it. Didn't spend too, too much time on this as the south half will change when we put the extension on and so we'll have to re-arrange landscaping there as well as on other side. Travel knapsack waiting to be vacuumed. Notice Lady Dar's tires waiting to be exchanged, tomorrow, for the snow tires presently on her Bug. Rest of firewood to be muled!

Hi Patrice, Glad Spring is springing up there and you are getting some time in the garden, looks like some stuff is already well on its way as it is here but the winter feel keeps returning for another blast hopefully to finally be on it’s way very soon. Sorry to hear about Lady Dar’s ailment but yes I think the prescription is sound and hopefully working alright.

Had a great night out last night with some neighbours (Jake’s soccer coach Ivan’s cousin) who we have gotten to be friends with over the years. They are in a beautiful and spacious home although located on Royal Oak avenue across from the graveyard. Sweeping views of Metrotown perched on top of the spine of South Burnaby however and when inside you wouldn’t know you were on a bit of a thoroughfare as it is modern and quiet sporting about 5 bathrooms and overall around 3000’2. Even has a full on theatre downstairs with tiered reclining chairs!. Owners Anita and Bronco ( Bronco is first cousin of Ivan) have done well with Bronco having made a small fortune off of his comic book collection! As well as running a full printing company out of his two bay garage.

Had amazing appies and pork chops, beef short ribs, and wild boar steaks ! these were tender and although Bronco was worried they would be gamey they were not at all and very tasty. Many drinks and a round of cards against humanity which is a fun but cringe worthy game of selecting the best answer card to match the partial statement card read by whoever’s turn it is.

Sitting here now I will work on the final touches of the security system for the SCCC center in the Valley which I have spearheaded. It is up and running and so far besides one error on programming someone’s number in appears to be working well. Here’s a link to the Seesaw project I built and installed for Germaine which was unveiled last week. Although I don’t get any credit which is no concern, I did pretty much design and build it with a few rough sketches provided from her.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouvers-newest-work-of-public-art-is-a-teeter-totter-bus-bench-at-sunset-park

Unfortunately we already had plans this weekend as we would have loved to come up but let’s talk this week about how we can get together when you are on your way through. Take care, love to the goils and ttys. Al


Spent a goodly part of the morning corresponding with the various friends I will be visiting in Europe, dovetailing my itinerary with their own schedules. Around noon I vacuumed the large wheeled knapsack I will use in Europe. It had been sitting on one of the top storage shelves in our garage since Henryk built the second set in October 2015 when he and Louise were house-sitting while we were in India. Was pleased that it wasn't as dusty as I thought it might be. Then I carried it into our bedroom and set it up on a towel to protect the duvet. First order of business was to see how the new rear pannier carrier would fit inside the bag. I attached the two panniers, just to make sure they were the right size for the model of carrier, and then placed this inside. 

Fit was fine but I was worried that if I packed the carrier it might well have been bent or otherwise damaged, given how baggage is handled. Decided I'd take it on as carry-on and even used some of the pannier straps to fashion restraints so that I could place my camel pack, sans bladder, in the space between the support struts. This way I can carry my computer in the camel pack and a few other items I might want during the flight to Paris. Very pleased with this promising start so now will start to think about the clothing, both for cycling and regular daily wear, that I'll need. 

Was close to 1:35 pm when I set out. Forecast suggested light showers but around 1:00 pm when went outside to sky was filled with clouds but most were white and fluffy. Of course, I was spattered with raindrops as soon as I left the house, although shower was very localized as Ellis was dry as a bone when I reached the round-about by PAG. Since the wind was out of the South at 23 kph I decided I would use the outing to try to raise my AVG above 20 kph on the relative flats of Lakeshore and Riverside. This way the full force of the head wind would be somewhat mitigated and since it shifted to the SSE and dropped to 20 kph and then 18 kph over the course of the outing, it was to my overall advantage to choose this route and work on keeping up my speed. 

After six complete loops from PTC to the Riverside mini-mall and back I had almost enough distance so that on the final run down Lakeshore I turned onto Power and made a short loop on Dynes and Churchill before taking Power across Westminster to wend my way home on Wade and then Winnipeg. Another light shower welcomed me as I made the final run up White but nothing to fuss about and when I pulled up outside the garage I knew, from the elapsed time shown on the odometre, that I had managed to break the 20 kph AVG. Hip Hip Hooray!
Garmin even awarded me a point on a Climber badge, [1 pt for climbing 500 feet during a cycling activity.], something I had not been aware of before. Must be something new as I didn't receive anything when I climbed Anarchist on Easter Sunday. Now that is a climb compared to the slight grade up Ellis! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2611152908#.WsqtVOGQssw.email

Hi Corinne and Patrick, I am going to Vancouver tonite so won't be able to play bridge on Wednesday. I am happy that you are feeling better Corinne!!Hi Judy Blue: Drat! Was looking forward to a full, two-table soiree before I leave. However, will just have to wait, for me at least, until I'm back. Cheers for now, Patrizzio! Judy Xo Hi Judy, sorry we won’t see you Wednesday. Enjoy Vancouver. May be see you on the weekend. Are you up for a movie? Cheers Corinne
I thunk that I caught Corinne’s malady...I came down with a cold on Friday. A good weekend weather wise to be sick. I expect to be well enough to play Bridge on Weds. I hope Corinne is almost back to 100%. Pam Hi Naramata Patient! Hope you are well recovered by Wednesday. Lady Dar is hovering around "normal" as she is back to barking out orders, always a sign of full health! Sit on your deck, drinking hot rum with lemon and honey and you'll be right! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

NFL player and his new Lamborghini: Hi Lamborghini Lovers! Great to hear from you and know that the NFL player weighs more than his car! Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

That is an impressive ride, Patrizzio! I have driven it many times, as you well know, but never thought to ride it. I was hoping for more discussion about all the bronze wildlife at the sides of the roads, including the cougar, the elk, the moose and the rarely seen Sasquatch! He really looks more legitimate with either a Santa hat or a case of Kokanee beer under his arm. Glad you didn’t tumble in the marbles at the side of the road and make it back to Spirit Ridge in a single piece!! Sounds like you are all well up there, I hope spring is moving faster up there than down here, but I doubt it. Talk soon. -A.
               Hi Flash!

Lovely to hear from you. Trust all goes well. Enjoyed your comment about the marbles! As well as the mention of bronze wildlife. In fact as I reached that part of ride there was a couple, with their young son, all climbing on the cougar, I think, for photo ops. Left your card with them! Once I'd ridden as far as I needed, past this point, I turned back and by this time they had moved on to the moose. Spring is making a somewhat pathetic effort to arrive although it has become noticeably warmer compared to the very, very chilly mornings of a couple of weeks ago. All of the garlic we planted last November is pushing up wonderful green shoots, now more than six inches or so. I'm devastated that I won't be around to harvest the scapes but I'm hoping that Lady Dar will be able to keep what she doesn't use in the garage fridge until I'm back.

I will be flying to Paris on Monday, April 16th, landing on the 17th and training to Cornwall same day. London on 22nd and then back to France at the end of April. I will be driving to Vancouver, with Chloë, sometime this coming Thursday afternoon, depending on when she can get away from work. She will be spending time with friends there and in Squamish, over weekend. Are you around? If so, I'll give you a call once I've settled in and perhaps we can arrange to meet. Must away to do more packing. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to you your Sisterhood! Cheers, Patrizzio!  Paris!  We’ll always have Paris. Oh, wait. That was meant for someone else.  Never mind. I will be around this weekend. Please send a note before you jump on the plane. It would be delightful to see you. A. Dear Ingrid! I'll be sure to call! Cheers, Humphrey!
 
Hi Old Farts, Thursday approaches. Rick has volunteered to lead an assault on Mount Keogan. You will: -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland) -carpool and make your way south, likely to Mahoney Lake -hike up Mount Keogan. (Last week there were buttercups on Jerry, so there ought to be flowers on Keogan) -return and have a coffee and debriefing at a location to be determined. If you are interested in joining Rick, please let him know at rmckel@shaw.ca. He would appreciate it. Cheers, Jim
 

No comments:

Post a Comment