Monday 23 April 2018

Mill Hill High Street Blues: Monday, April 23rd!

Work on good prose has three steps: a musical stage when it is composed, an architectonic one when it is built, and a textile one when it is woven. -Walter Benjamin, critic and philosopher (1892-1940) 

Mimi Mimenheimer!
Hi Patrick, How was the trip over? You got very very lucky with the weather as it was grey for about 6 months before this hot snap & and snowed not 3 weeks ago. I'm still around London if you would like to meet. I am working a bunch of long days this week (7am-7pm) but I'm sure we can sort something out either this week or next. Regards, Dave

Hi Dave! Thanks for getting in touch. In fact flight to London and train connections to Truro went very well so I was in Cornwall on Wednesday. Yes, I did enjoy the "hot" weather as the two hikes I took with my hosts, Gayle and Derek, were glorious. Conditions couldn't have been better. Even though it was cooler when I took train to London yesterday I didn't mind at all as it was far, far more comfortable traveling, especially getting on and off various trains and a bus. Track work between St Austell and Plymouth so passengers were put on buses for that leg.


I'm staying in Mill Hill Broadway with friends, Penny and Mike, and I plan to come into London over the next few days to run a few errands and see a number of other friends. I will be leaving for France, probably on May 1st, but French railroad workers are on revolving strikes so I have to try and schedule around stoppages. My bike is waiting for me in Chabeuil, a tiny village southeast of Lyon, and I'm to connect with friend, Andre, here in London, to make journey together. Further complicated by the fact that he has been in BC for last few weeks, visiting his elderly mother, and is flying back from Vancouver today!

That being said, it would be terrific to arrange to meet somewhere. Given what you mentioned about your schedule, probably after 7:00 pm would be best. I'm currently waiting for a call from friend in Amersham, [Jamie and I first met in Winnipeg!], as I hope to visit him, and Patricia, his wife, in their home there before I leave. Once I chatted with Jamie, and Rosemary, [They have a flat in London.], Andre's partner, I'll have a better sense of my schedule. That being said, if you are not working on the weekend that might offer other possibilities. 

 
I will send you Penny's landline number, (I only have her cell number and don't know how to extract the house number from the phone itself!), as soon as I know what it is. As I mentioned, I'm waiting for a call from Jamie so he will be able to give it to me. Both Penny and Mike have already gone to work.
At any rate, I'll be in touch as soon as things take shape. Look forward to getting together. Cheers, Patrizzio! Yes, I've done this hike to Fowey as well. I love the coast of Cornwall. Of course any day after 7pm I would be able to meet & perhaps Sunday. Enjoy the uk further and let me know about your schedule when, you know..... you know. Regards, David
  
Hello The Fine Sisterhood! You better hop the plane to London, Lady Dar, and start collecting petitions to ban plastic bags here! I'm just back from shopping in the high street for dinner tonight. I had my knapsack and re-usable bags but most other customers didn't and paid for plastic bags!

Last night, before we went to bed, I offered to prepare the meal as both Penny and Mike are working today. Mike has a new job. [He could have kept his old one but it meant moving up north!], as a part-time driver for a florist and he often ends up helping old ladies arrange the flowers he delivers, having a cup of tea with them when they think he is a relative, knowing it is no use arguing! The dinner he prepared last night, salmon, new potatoes and a crusted pasta, was incredible, as was his mixed salad, with fab vinaigrette dressing. And then his home-made Crème brûlée for dessert! Not sure how my efforts will stack up but if I pour enough wine perhaps they won't notice.
 
Heard from Andre this morning and he will be flying from Vancouver today to arrive in London tomorrow. [Probably same flight I was on.] Also had an email from Rosemary and she provided me with her numbers, as well as important information on revolving French train strikes.

Talked to Jamie fairly late last night so he called this morning. He might pop by this afternoon, around 4:00 pm, before choir practice at 7:00. Initially he wanted to come over after but I didn't want to inflict him on Penny. She is working until 6:30 pm today so he should be gone before she arrives home. Mike may well have to deal with The Buffoons! We will meet in London tomorrow for a concert around noon. Don't have details yet but it isn't at St Martin's in the Fields. Also had a message from Dave and now that I know more about what I will be doing in London I'm hoping we can connect one evening as he is working from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm this week. Don't know about weekends.

Rosemary has suggested May 1st as best date to leave for Chabeuil. Andre will spend a few days with her once back and trains won't be running on Saturday and Sunday, due to strikes, and she thinks Monday will be a mess with backlog of travelers, etc. I had already planned to train into London over the next few days, anyway, as I need to talk to someone in person, at BritRail, about ticket to France, taking into account my unused tickets from Paris to London, as well as my British train pass. I'm hoping I can obtain a credit for unused tickets and/or a discount. I will still have enough stops left on my BritRail pass to get me to the last stop, in England, for the Eurostar, so I obviously want to use that, if possible, and then once in France my EuroRail pass kicks in. Anyway, quite complicated so I don't think it can be resolved over the phone, even if I could get through!
 

Once Andre is back and settled I'm hoping we can arrange to hook up and have a bit of a visit with Rosemary while we plan our journey to Chabeuil. Ideally, I think I'd like to leave this coming Friday, before weekend strikes start. Once in Chabeuil I can start process of having my bike tuned-up and pannier holder attached. Must away as I need to start readying vegetables, (yams and broccoli), and put some sort of marinade on turkey breasts. Butcher in high street is closed on Monday so this was best alternative I could find at short notice. Will make a Greek salad but no dessert so perhaps I can persuade Madcap to whip up more Crème brûlée! [How cheeky of you to not only NOT provide dessert, but to ask for MORE brulee though it's your turn! Have a great time and please say hello to everyone from me xoxo] Fondestos to one and all. Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! 
 
Pics: Breakfast on Sunday morning; Just before we left for train station; Truro cathedral; an example of the proliferation of windmills that now dot the landscape since we were here in 2013; back in London; Meet my new girlfriend, Mimi! She's been sleeping on my bed since this morning. Reminds me of some other lazy cats I know!

Sounds like your eating far too well. It will be hard to keep up the new standards. Sunny and getting warmer here. Etta brought in her first bird today. She is still looking for it. Have a meeting this afternoon at the church. Was very tired after doing two shifts at the Makers Faire. Slept well last night. Bought lots of plants to start at the first market. Give my love to Jamie and Pat. Lady Dar



Hi Denise Dangereuse and Wild Bill! I started composing this missive on Tuesday, April 17th, the day your message arrived. Sorry I missed chatting before I left, although that was a day later than expected! Monday, April 16th the original day of departure, dawned, full, to the brim, of delay. I was scheduled to fly to Montreal at 11:30 am but received notification that my flight was now departing at 13:20, to arrive in Montréal Trudeau, at 21:05. My flight to Paris was scheduled to leave at 20:55, ten minutes before I land! The delay has been caused by terrible weather in Eastern Canada. To make matters worse, AC's help system was so overwhelmed that I could not get through to speak to anyone. An automated system informed callers that this was so. At any rate, I thought I'd go to YVR as originally planned as at least I might be able to talk to an agent in person. I would simply have had to camp out at the airport. While not quite as comfortable as staying at Harbour Terrace I would have access to Wi-Fi as I now had to let others further down The Freeloader Chain know of these latest developments. 
I called Ragin' Bull and he very kindly came to collect me around 11:00 am and took me to Olympic Village where I took the Sky Train. He even gave me his Compass card so I was Freeloading in style all the way to YVR. Once there I stood in line for about an hour and a half. Lady in front of me was from Paris and had been visiting her son, here in Vancouver, for last ten days. She was on same set of flights as me but she opted to fly to Montreal, later, where Air Canada would put her up in a hotel for the night until she could continue on to Paris tomorrow. I didn't want to exercise that option as I wasn't sure if the flights will be on time, weather being what it was out East. 

Anyway, when my turn came I outlined my situation and very helpful agent booked me on a direct flight to Heathrow, leaving, next day, April 17th, at 6:30 pm, arriving at 11:50 am on Wednesday, April 18th. I was able to catch the 14:03 train, from Paddington, to put me in Cornwall at 18:47. My host Derek collected me and I spent the next four nights with them, enjoying a bike ride on Derek's bike and two fabulous hikes with Gayle and Derek. [Have attached album of first hike.] Left Truro this past Sunday to stay with close friends, Penny and Mike.
 
I will be leaving for France, probably on May 1st, but French railroad workers are on revolving strikes so I have to try and schedule around stoppages. My bike is waiting for me in Chabeuil, a tiny village southeast of Lyon, and I'm to connect with friend, Andre, here in London, to make journey together. [Original plan was to fly to Paris and go directly to Chabeuil but Andre's plans changed after I had already booked my flight!]

Thank you for the offer to stay around July 10th. Might well take you up but at this moment Elaine has offered as well. Corinne will be in Vancouver at the end of the month and will be staying with Elaine so she will probably confirm her generous invitation. Very sorry to hear about your friend Hazel. Lady Dar and I are fine. Usual aches and pains. However, I will have my right shoulder replaced on July 26th so you need to visit as I won't be able to use a corkscrew!


Must away as I'm on deck for dinner. My hosts are both working. Enjoy your coming trip. I'll be in Poland biking with Glasgow, aka Matt Garrey, when you arrive! Take care of each other. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Pics: Went to VRC to see The Pepperoni Kid in the Canadian Nationals Doubles, over 60's, on the Saturday before I left. He was playing with Bruce McFarlane. They lost in three to Steve Lawton and his partner from Toronto. Some close games and if they had squeaked a win in third I think they could have taken match. Talked to Steve after match so I knew he is returning to Australia. Also knew Af was in Kelowna but haven't seen him in years.

Hi Patrick, I see I am again a horrible pen-friend, letting you wait for answers.
Now - The weekend 15-17 June or around there will suit me/us fine, for your visit here, as I am working weekdays, and Hans as mentioned earlier, has improtant evening meetings until June 15 . Even if you come a couple of days earlier you can stay, of course, and if you have the bike you can make rides around the city/the region.
 

Of course your things can stay here while yo go to Norway. If you want to book flight tickets Aarhus - Oslo, I just checked, there are few seats let i,e, on Monday June 18. Prices for at return ticket with SAS is app 3500 DKK (735 CAN $). A less costly way to travel is by train to Frederikshavn and ferry from Frederikshavn to Oslo, that is usually a night ferry . Let me know if you want me to book something for you. Oslo airport Gardamoen is +50 km from Oslo centre.
Ferry is Stena Line.

Regarding Hamburg it would be much fun to meet there, but my holiday is not untill later, I am not sure I can take days off. I will check it out. All for now, I am thrilled you'll actually arrive here in a short while! Say hello to Corinne and Chloë, a big hug XO from Margareta

Hi Patrick! Hope you made it to Europe as you planned and enjoying your trip :) I'm writing you here to tell you - that I won't be around when you come here in Switzerland as I planned... I am going away for 5 days from 5/4 - 5/10. I feel terrible about it - what a terrible friend I am!!! I AM VERY SORRY!!!!! I hope my message is fast enough that you can somehow arrange the stay somewhere. We are all gone here - Stefan in USA and David is also gone in Spain. I got last invitation to my friend and booked a flight which I can not cancel anymore. I'm leaving on the evening of 4th...I am sorry agian... Hope you are not upset! Love Nao

Hi Nao! Trust you are well. Sorry for taking so long to reply but life has been very, very busy ever since arriving in London, and then travelling straight to Cornwall on Wednesday, April 18th. Now back in London, staying with close friends, Mike and Penny. 

No, I am not upset at all about your planned holiday. However, I will still be in Bern, for a few days after May 10th, so if a visit there or in Zurich is possible that would be terrific. If it doesn't work, I understand completely. However, if it does that would be wonderful. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly.

I'm off to France on Tuesday, May 1st. At this stage I'm hoping that I will be in Bern in time to see friends, Eveline and Heinz before they leave for Berlin on May 10th! That is why I will still be in Bern when you are back in Zurich. Anyway, send along a message as soon as you are able and we'll take things from there. Stay well. Travel safely. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment