Monday 9 April 2018

Sunshine Brings The Dirty Window Blues: Monday, April 9th!

Bad weather always looks worse through a window. -Tom Lehrer, singer-songwriter and mathematician (b. 9 Apr 1928)





Lazy sleep-in until just after 7:00 pm when Duke came in and wanted the window blind pulled up so that he could keep and eye on activity outside. Was pleased to be almost blinded by the bright sunshine once I'd raised it high enough for him to perch on the sill. The Sisterhood was up and about and we chatted while Chloë readied herself for work. I digitated until 9:15 am when I followed Lady Dar to Huber. She had an appointment, at 9:30 am, to have the winter tires on her Bug changed for regulares. [I'd loaded them into The MarriageMobile yesterday afternoon when I was back from my ride] After we dropped her car and the tires off we made for Front Street as I needed a new watch battery. Unfortunately, jeweler was closed so will have to wait until tomorrow.

However, once back home, Mark The Barber phoned to say that he could take me on Tuesday afternoon. He had to cancel my appointment last week as he was suffering from tendonitis. Really pleased, not only that he is recovering but also that I can have a haircut before I leave for Vancouver on Thursday. Of course I could have one there but this is far more convenient. Furthermore, Lady Dar quite likes how he cuts my hair so that is the most important consideration, Dear Reader! This way I'll be able to run all my local errands in one day: Stop at jeweler for watch battery, then to bank for folding cash, then to Knight's Drug Store to cash in my winning lottery tickets, then to Mark to tip him more handsomely than usual with my some of my recent millions! Big win couldn't have come at a better time as now I'll live like a king when in Europe!!!

Omigosh! When do you leave? I was hoping to have a visit with you before you left. I will probably be here for the week. But will keep you posted. If I don't see you have a great time, I know you will take lots of pics. And be safe Judy
Hi again, Lower Mainlander! Thanks for good wishes. I will be driving to Vancouver, with Chloë, sometime on Thursday afternoon, depending on when she can get away from work. She will be spending time with friends there and in Squamish, over weekend. My flight to Paris is on Monday, just before noon.

If you are still around perhaps we can get together. I will be staying with friends, Flamin' and Sarge, right across from Granville Island in the building we used to live in. I'm also hoping to stitch together a bridge game, or games, while in town, so if you are interested/available you'd be more than welcome to join us. [To this end, let me know the number I can reach you at.] On Friday I plan to buy both Euros and British Pounds so that I have some cash when I first arrive. Although I land in France on April 17th, I'm travelling to Cornwall that same day. Anyway, let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!


I shall probably be still here. Here is my cell number. Bridge sounds nice but I won't commit right now. It would be fun to connect even for coffee. I know how to get to Granville island by bus!! Enjoy your trip to Vancouver. Judy Hi Bus Saavy JB! Thanks for your cell number. Understand about waiting on bridge. I don't know, myself, if game will materialize as have not heard back from all the potential players. At any rate, I do hope we can meet up for a java, at the very least, so will give you a shout when I'm settled. Fondestos to you and Vanessa from Lady Dar and Chloë. Cheers, Patrizzio! Sounds good. 😊😊

Thanks for the advice Patrick. It’s a most curious thing for me to have a cold at this time of year. I hope to be much improved in health by Weds night. I am happy to hear that Corinne is almost fully recovered. Pamela Hi Rum by Gum Goil! Do hope you can make it. Trust you are feeling much better? Judy Blue is in Vancouver so not sure if we'll have two tables or not yet. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Patrick, At this point I am planning to be there Wednesday night. I am ever so slowly regaining my health. Have a great day 😎 Pam Hi Passenger On The Slow Boat to Full Recovery! You need to have Wild Bill rub Vick's on your chest. If he is too busy I'm happy to volunteer. EW are having dinner at the Lighthall's tomorrow evening so I could make a house call beforehand! Cheers, Patrizzio of the Soft Hands!


Hi Patrick, Just to help you with your preparations...here is my sister's partner's contact in Vienna. If you plan a vist, let him know in advance because he is a busy man, and stiil travelling quite a bit for work. See you on Wednesday for a last bidding before you leave. Cheers, Jos Hi Josinta! Thanks so much for contact information. Much appreciated. However, as of this writing, I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop in either Vienna or Prague, given delay in collecting my bike. Friends who have stored it will not be back in France until the end of April so I will travel in Britain beforehand. However, if I can make my way from France to Switzerland at the beginning of May I might still have time for more sightseeing.

I will certainly contact George as soon as I know my own schedule. However, if you should be in contact please don't have him change any plans. If connection is possible and works for both of us that would be terrific but I simply can't say at this time, as I'm sure you can understand, world traveler that you are! Judy Blue is in Vancouver so not sure if we'll have two tables or not yet. Haven't heard from Michaelo but I assume you and Olga Polga will be coming as esteemed representatives from Summerland! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Wow! You are gone again? 😲 In this case I must be to say goodbye! What time and where? Cheers Mike Hi again, Michaelo! Lady Dar and I are hosting on Wednesday night, anytime after 6:30 pm. I just heard from Olga Polga and she has a nasty cold so will not be coming. However, Josinta will be playing so perhaps you can arrange to carpool. If she drives, you can have some malt to wish me Bon Voyage! Look forward to bidding and making a Grand Slam! Cheers, Patrizzio! Yes Mike, let me know if you are playing and we meet at IGA @ 6.15pm. I can drive. Olly, hope you feel better soon! Jos Sounds fantastic Patrick, excellent companion, super malt, and winning bidding - life is good :-)
Thanks Jos, I will gladly take your offer. See you there. Cheers Mike 


Weather cooperated again today and since it was dry I took the opportunity to log another ride. Wind, however, was not inclined to make life easy so I decided I'd repeat, with slight variations, Sunday's outing as wind was again out of the SSE at over 20 kph, gusting to over 30 kph. [I believe that Garmin shows average wind speed, as opposed to hourly listings by other forecast sites.] Instead of looping from PTC to Riverside Mini-Mall and back, I interpolated two Power Street Loops, each consisting of about ten or eleven mini-circuits, thus reducing the number of traverses back and forth along Lakeshore. Was extremely pleased to find, when back home that I'd cheated Aeolus as I'd upped the AVG and additional .3 kph over yesterday's outing. I'll soon be at an AVG of over 30 kph is this keeps up! As Ms Tinsel Town would say, "Godspeed!" Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2613211222#.WsvzVILHtwY.email

Dear Pat and Corinne and family! Great news Pat, it has been too long since we heard from each other and I also do apologize for being a poor correspondent myself. Your mail was a highlight and we look very much forward to receive you in person to apologize! I am happy to say that we are all well and I trust the same from your side as pictures show. 

Many things happened here, but the most important is that we got another grandchild Max Paul at 11,11,2017, Lia's brother. Coming to your travel plan Pat, if I am correct you will arrive in Paris on April 16, then go further to Cornwall and reach London by April 22. Our plans and duties are as follows: we are around and would like to welcome you from April 23 to May 3rd, we are fully on duty May 4 to 6 and back eventuallywith you May 7 to 9. From May 10 onwards we will probably be in Berlin. 

Dear Pat we hope some days will fit with your plans and to have you here to update each other on everything with a few good drops from Piemonte, Sardinien and Spanien. Thank you very much for the wonderful pictures, all of you look great! Herzliche Grüsse von uns allen Eveline and Heinz 

Dearest Eveline and Heinz! Wonderful to hear all goes so well with you both and familigia, ever expanding I see! Congratulations, indeed, on the birth of Max Paul, a brother to Lia! Please pass along our best wishes to Sabine and Simon from both Lady Dar, Chloë and myself, as well as to you, you proud grandparents!

Delighted that I will be able to see you, and as many other 
Rothenbühlers as possible. To this end, you are correct about traveling Cornwall on April 17th, day I land in Paris, to stay with Gayle and Derek, close friends we did a house exchange with in August, 2013. Then to London, on April 22nd, before returning to France, towards the end of the month, to collect my bike. In Andre's last message he said that he hoped we would leave London at the end of April, (He is currently on Vancouver Island, in Victoria, visiting his aged mother. Main reason for his trip to Canada.), to travel to Valence together as it is only about half an hour from Chabeuil, the village where their gorgeous farmhouse is situated.

Once there, I have to have my bike serviced as it has not been ridden since 2013. While there is a bicycle shop in Chabeuil I don't know how long the servicing will take. The bike was in very good condition when I left it so I don't think, (hope!), anything major will be required, [Possibly a new chain, inner tubes and tires, and brake pads as I rode it almost everyday for just under three months.] At any rate, I'm hoping to be on the train to Berne towards, +/-, the end of the first week in May. When you say you are "fully on duty May 4th to May 6th" does that mean you are grand-parenting or guarding Swiss gold somewhere deep below the Alps?

Nevertheless my schedule is reasonably flexible. You might remember Anna Maria and Rudolph Bartlome, Nadia's parents, the couple you very kindly allowed us to invite to your place when we stayed with Flamin' and Sarge, in 2010. They have also invited me to stay with them but they will be away for the weekend of May 5th and 6th. If it would be an imposition to arrive at Sonnenblick on Saturday May 5th or Sunday May 6th, [presupposing my bike is ready before then], I would time my departure from Chabeuil to arrive in Berne on Monday, May 7th to stay until Wednesday May 9th, if that is not cutting it too fine for you and your planned trip to Berlin. Like you, I just want to make sure I understand the dates you provided all the better to try to dovetail with your schedule. 

Please let me know what you are most comfortable with. If I came to stay before May 7th I would likely leave Sonnenblick before May 9th to then stay with Anna Maria and Ruedi. I'm also hoping to visit another friend, Nao, in Zurich, after my visits in Berne. As I mentioned, my 
first guided bike trip begins in the Czech Republic, in Brno, Moravia, wine-country, on May 16th, so I will probably have to leave Switzerland by Sunday, May 13th, Monday, May 14th at the latest in order to make sure I'm in Brno before tour starts.  Well, dear friends, there you have it, my proposed itinerary to date. Let me know what you think would work best for you and I'll plan accordingly. Must away to do more packing. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Two "chores" I'm happy to say I was able to finish before leaving: 1) New frame around raised vegetable planter we put in two years ago, to match second one we put in last Spring; 2) Splitting and moving firewood from back of the house to side of house. Still have two rows at the back but they will have to wait until I return in July. Terrific exposure to the summer sun where they are so should be almost kiln dried by then! Wheeled travel knapsack I will use this trip. Duke wants to come to Switzerland with me but Etta prefers to stay at home with Lady Dar and Chloë!



Link to place:
Hi Ms Tinsel Town! Wow! Will you now be dog walking with Allison Janney? Place looks great so Buona Fortuna with offer! Cheers, A Dedicated Follower of Laurel Canyon! Ha! This LA real estate game may be the death of me but I will keep you posted xoxo! What I do like is there is a unit next door for guests at $50/night when you have extra visitor's etc. Onward! Fight!!!


Well gang, I don't know where the last 6 weeks or so have gone, but they disappeared. I just noticed on my calendar that this Thursday is our book club meeting. Also, the meeting is here. Can you please get back to me and let me know if you are planning on coming. Just need to know numbers as my condo is small and if there are quite a few of us I will get the room downstairs that we had the last time. Appies and wine - same as the last time. Dame Judith 

Hi Dame Judith! Unfortunately, for me, I won't be attending your soirée as I will be driving to Vancouver, with Chloë, sometime this Thursday afternoon, depending on when she can get away from work. She will be spending time with friends there and in Squamish, over weekend. My flight to Paris is on Monday, just before noon. Lady Dar will attend. I'm sure it will be a grand evening with spirited discussion. See you in July. I'm back in Vancouver on July 10th, but not in Penticton until July 16th as we are attending the Folk Festival, July 13th-15th. Hello to King Kevin. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello to all: Let's make it 6:30 and it will be held in my condo. We are in the shorter building of the three tower complex across from Gyro Park. Our entrance is on Martin Street. Judi Hi Judi Sorry I won’t be able to attend I have company in town. We will be exploring the wine country;) enjoy everyone! Michelle In Victoria on Thursday but I believe I already indicated this earlier.
Hope to join the club @ the next gathering in May? Senka
Judi, I have a meeting that starts at 6 tomorrow evening so I likely won't be there until 7.

Regards, Pamela


Dear Patrick Your report is very exciting and especially the planned trip is very interesting.We are at home during your travel time  end April and at the beginning of May, except the weekend 5 and 6 May we will not be at home.
Annemarie and I really hope that we can welcome you here. That would be great and we would be very happy. So, very warm and kind regards to Corinne and Cloë. We are happy to wait for your next news. Best regards and see you soon. Annemarie and Rudolf
Hello Panoramaweggans! Wonderful to hear from you and thank you for the welcome. Delighted that I will be able to see you both, and Nadienka, if she is around, not traveling the world!  

I'm hoping to be on the train to Berne towards, +/-, the end of the first week in May as my schedule is reasonably flexible. You might remember Eveline and Heinz Rothenbühler, the couple with whom we stayed with Flamin' and Sarge, in 2010. They have also invited me to stay with them as well. If I came to stay with them before May 7th I would likely leave Sonnenblick before May 9th to then stay with you. There you have it, my proposed Swiss itinerary to date. Let me know what you think would work best for you and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick and Corinne Thanks for your email. I hope Corinne is feeling better--I do know several people who have contracted the flu bug and it is a pain. Take care--perhaps a hot buttered rum would help --both for the throat and because it has been so dreadfully cold and rainy. The BC Book Prizes Soiree went well. However, the LG's Office has decided not to fund the LG Award for BC Literature which I feel quite concerned about. Not exactly sure who made this decision but I always hate it when the arts are not funding even in a minimal way.

We leave for Saltspring tomorrow morning--wish it wasn't so rainy alas not much you can do. I am anxious to see what the Saltspring Cottages are like and see the island. There are supposed to be a couple of wineries there and at least two cheese factories. We leave for London on April 30 so will not overlap with you--darn this is so sad--we should have planned better. It would have been great to meet up with you in a London pub. Perhaps another time. We do land in London but then go directly to Brighton and then Portsmouth. Then we will fly to Istanbul for the IASL conference. We return to London May 11-16 to explore London a bit more and take in some theatre.

Anyways I have to head out for some exercise--slept in this morning as I was in a turmoil last night about a short presentation that I am preparing for the IASL conference. wanted to do this but now I am wondering what possessed me. All in an attempt to feel relevant I guess. Visited Kerrisdale Elementary school on Friday as Michele Farquarhson is the teacher-librarian there--you may know her as she did her teacher education at UBC in the late 70's and her library education in the 80's. Her library is great and the kids were working with Microbots--doing some coding challenges. They were truly engaged and I found it very interesting.


Do take care and keep in touch. When do you leave for the UK and Europe?? Woman in the sauna was talking about the rail strike in France. Warmest wishes for now. Jo-Anne and Colin
Hi Saltspring Hoity Toities! Trust you are enjoying your stay. Our friend Bob Altwein has a girlfriend, Ellie, who lives on Saltspring and works at one of the cheese factories. Ask about her as we've met a couple of times, in Vancouver. Please say hello if you connect. Haven't seen or heard from Bob in ages. Too, too bad about not being able to connect in London. Yes it would have been fun and if it had worked I'd have liked you to meet our friends there. Anyway, next time. 

Have a grand time in Istanbul at the IASL conference. We were there in 2003, with Elaine and Ted Keating, friend who just died! Spent a month and had a simply wonderful time, driving from Ankara, (there by train from Istanbul), doing a loop through Cappadocia, and then down to Kas on the Mediterranean. Then up to Ephesus and Gallipoli and back to Istanbul. Same hotel at start and finish of trip, within walking distance of Blue Mosque and could see it every morning from out hotel roof where we ate breakfast. Wonderful, wonderful counrty so trust it will be the same for you now.

I'm looking forward to being back in London as I often train into city and then pop into the British Museum for an hour or so, selecting but one or two exhibits or galleries. Same for National Gallery, just Impressionists, per esempio, as too, too easy to suffer overload. St Martin's in the Fields often has noon concerts which are wonderful. Terrific cafeteria in basement and there are often free exhibitions mounted there. Try a walking tour. You'll find them listed in various tourist brochures, online as well, I presume. I wanted to do the Inns of Court but we ran out of time! <https://www.london-walking-tours.co.uk/>

Yes, I do remember Michele Farquarhson. She was lovely and I'm so pleased that she has done so well, for herself and school libraries. Please pass long best wishes when next you have contact. I will be driving to Vancouver, with Chloë, this Thursday. I'll give you a call once I've settled in and perhaps we can arrange to meet. Must away to do more packing. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to you and Colin. Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment