Wednesday 18 April 2018

Magnolia Blossoms and The Blackwater Blues: Thursday, April 19th!

Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later. -Fred Brooks, computer scientist (b. 19 Apr 1931)


Up at 6:10 am after a delicious, recuperative sleep in Ayn's bedroom, (guest bedroom where she stayed when she visited us in 2013), so padded into kitchen to set up my workstation and not disturb the still slumbering Cornwallians. Gayle and Derek are to to discharge their regular volunteer duties at Trelissick Gardens, serving at the weekly Cream Tea. 

When planning my visit, Derek suggested I might wish to cycle there, [He has readied his bike for me.], but I think I'd rather re-explore some of the routes I'd cycled when last here as this way I can stay closer to home in case I don't feel ready for the longer outing that making for Trelissick could be, unfamiliar bike with racing handlebars, etc. Anyway, I'll see how I feel once I've talked to Derek and been reminded of best route to this lovely National Trust property. Gudrun and Steve, (Krissy's ex-inlaws), are coming for dinner this evening so looking forward to seeing them.
Gayle just appeared and has put on a pot of tea for me. When in Rome...We had grapefruit for breakfast before hearty bowls of porridge with a mixed fruit compote and honey atop. After that Derek and I drove into Truro to reserve my seat for Sunday, (Leaving Truro at 10:30 am, arriving in London around 16:22 pm.), and then we stopped at Sainsbury's as Gayle needed a few things for dinner and I wanted to buy wine as well. Also picked up some Cheddar as I planned on making a sandwich with Gayle's delicious home-made bread before heading out for a ride. 
When we were back Derek helped me adjust saddle height. He also provided me with a helmet as mine is in Chabeuil. I brought along a pair of sneakers so I will be fine with his toe-clips. [Will use them tomorrow on the walk they have planned.] They left around 10:00 pm and I put my room in order as it was a bit of a mess when I unpacked last night. Put the holder for my Garmin on Derek's bike next and then made my sandwich. As soon as finish this message I'll head out. It was quite foggy/misty this morning but starting to burn off now, although won't be as warm as it was yesterday, 22º C, only 17º C but I'm happy as long as it is dry. Gayle mentioned that London is supposed to reach 28º C or 29º C today, a historical all-time record. 
Sun is now burning off mist and some blue is showing in the sky so I must away to re-explore some of the small country lanes hereabouts. On the way back from Truro, Derek took an alternate route home and I recognized many of the byways I'd cycled on in 2013. Pics: Dinner last night; Magnolia in the mist this morning. House Red! Sputnik and "my" bike!

Hello Lads and Lasses! Trust everyone is well. Sorry it has taken me so long to get in touch. Aside from anything else wanted to show you the map of the following ride, to give you some idea of the of the fabulous countryside. With the attached pictures I didn't ride there, [from first hike], but one snap gives you some idea of the lanes I did ride through. Again, I didn't ride along this coast but view is somewhat similar to coast around Porthtowan, a place I went to a number of times along the Coast Road, in 2013, and approached its outskirts on the ride described below.
 
[Note: This ride took place on Thursday, April 19th, day after I arrived in Truro. Simply haven't had the time to record it until today, May 3rd, in Chabeuil, France. Anyway, looking back, by the time...] I was ready to roll it was close to 1:00 pm. Wanting to get used to riding an unfamiliar bike, without clip-ons, and on the other side of the street to where one rides in North America and Europe, I made my way through Blackwater to the turn off to Chacewater as I knew this was not a busy road and much of it rather flat, with only one or two quite small, manageable hills. Absolutely lovely ride, along a stream for part of the way, birdsong filling the air, the sun often breaking through the clouds. Once in Chacewater itself, I climbed Chacewater Hill, almost to the top to see how I'd do on a steeper grade. Pleased with result I turned around before road intersected with A390, a fairly busy road. Down the hill, back into Chacewater to take the turnoff to Twelveheads and then on to Bissoe, making for Devoran. After Bissoe there is much more traffic so before I reached Devoran I turned around where the A39 cut across the road I was on and made my way back towards Bissoe. 

I had toyed with the idea of riding up Old Carnon Hill into Carnon Downs but didn't think it would be much fun on the pretty steep, long approach to the village, a ride I had done a few times in 2013 but one I typically took from the other direction, swooping down the hill instead of grinding up! Nonetheless, I was very pleased with this foray and so made my way back towards Blackwater. When I reached the village I followed the main road there, towards the turn-off to Skinner's Bottom. This was one of my favourite routes so I knew the area pretty well. Traffic is usually very light and this was the case today so I kept pinching myself to remind myself that this wasn't a dream. Yes, I was actually back in Cornwall and riding the roads I had come to adore back in 2013.

By this time I had about half the distance I wanted so I simply followed n my nose. It lead me back towards Blackwater where I connected with a road that I knew would take me to Mount Hawke. Once there I didpsy-doodled my way through the village taking a road I thought would lead me back towards Skinner's Bottom but was I wrong! Knew I had never been down this incredibly steep hill, previously, as soon as I began the descent. However, I thought I knew where it would come out and I was correct. Road intersects with Westway, a road I'd often taken when making for Porthtowan. Then I knew exactly where I was and made my way towards the coast. Quite a lovely ride with the ruins of two abandoned mine chimneys on the hills on each side of the narrow valley.

Turned around when I hit the Coast Road and started the long climb back up towards Mount Hawke. I knew I couldn't deal with the ski hill I'd taken out of Mount Hawke so took another approach, a long, long hill but far more gradual. Still a good grind and I was huffing and puffing by the time I was back in the village and on the level. This time I took the right road down into Skinner's Bottom but this time followed Westway through Wheal Rose, a lovely village where one passes a lovely home built into a former mine stack. 

By this time I was edging up to having just over 40 km on my trusty odometre so I decided I'd keep looping on the quite streets thereabouts when my not-so trusty odometer "froze" at 45.55 km. This had happened once or twice in Penticton but I was beside myself this time as this was a very special outing for me. Couldn't even restart it so had to make the best of the rest of the ride. Fortunately, for me, I knew, pretty well, what the distances were between various stretches of the road here so I overcompensated by riding a few extra mini-loops before heading back to Sydney House.
 
In spite of the glitch with odometer I was simply delighted with ride, at least until I tried to download it from Ride History, where it could see that it had been saved. Could not manage to get Garmin to recognize my computer, or vice versa, so had to wait until Friday when I managed to talk to a very pleasant and helpful chap on the Garmin Help Line. Funnily enough he wasn't all that familiar with my particular device, Edge Touring, so he asked if I would mind waiting while he went to get one to have it in front of him while he was trying to sort out my difficulty. Of course, my Garmin responded while he was away from the phone and ride was downloaded before he was back on the line! I think it had to do with sequence of plugging in my odometre and invoking the Garmin website. Anyway, I was head over heels as I had a record of most of my ride. You will have to take it on faith that total distance was just over 51 km, Dear Reader. Hip Hip Hooray for Cornwall! Cheers!

 Map and Stats for ride:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2637574851#.WtmmbpatfOk.email

Morning, just sent you a HuffPost forward that’s Robbies article!!! The personal story circled!!!!! He got PAID. PLEASE READ LIKE ON THE SITE AND SHARE!!Will do!! So happy for him! Ayn It’s amazing!!! This email went to millions of people!!! Bravo Robertito!


Gudrun abd Steve were over for a more than fabulous dinner and we had a wonderful time catching up. Very pleased to see them and they might visit this coming summer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment