Monday 2 April 2018

Homeward Bound and the Von Bingen Blues: Easter Monday, April 2nd!

One forges one's style on the terrible anvil of daily deadlines. -Emile Zola, writer (2 Apr 1840-1902) 



Hello again, Steinbach! Terribly sorry to hear about your friend's health problems. I trust things will work out as best can be expected, given what seems like an already significantly compromised body.

Again, sorry we missed you this weekend. Was quite cool every day except for Friday. Saturday was downright chilly while Sunday was much warmer but still coolish. Today was about the same. Nevertheless, suppose you'd take your chances here given Sandee's report of -18º C! [Thanks, it's -18, I needed that touch of Spring.] Still, we all enjoyed ourselves immensely and I was happy to sit in the hot-tub and steam room after my rides. Clan Sutherland used the pool most days as did Lady Dar and Chloë. We had dinner at their suite on both Saturday and Sunday evenings. Friday we hosted. For Easter dinner Lady Dar did a fabulous ham, along with a tasty parsnip dish. Flamin' did a succulent turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy/stuffing and carrots and broccoli so we were very well served indeed. Plenty of hootch from all the tastings, it goes without saying!

This morning I was up at just before 7:00 am to brew myself some java. Check-out time is 11:00 am so once The Sisterhood stumbled into the kitchen/living room, we started to pack everything up, stopping for Lady Dar's delish bacon, avocadoe and tomatoe breakfast sandwiches. We had hoped to leave many of the kitchen things we brought down in one of the storage lockers but Lady Dar was told that the person in charge was away until after the holiday. Seems silly that a specific staff member is the only one able to assign them. Anyway, although we can apply via email Lady Dar won't be back at Spirit Ridge until the end of May, after she returns from Falcon. 

Since we planned to stop in Oliver to take a look at the extension friend, Hildi, put on her house, [To give Lady Dar more ideas for the planned extension to the front of our house!], Chloë left before we did and drove her Mom's Bug back to Penticton. The Sutherland's children and grandchildren left around the same time as Chloë, all returning to Kamploops. When our car was packed we went to say thanks to Flamin' and Sarge. Think they needed a holiday from the holiday as it had been a very, very busy long weekend with four grandchildren, two roughly two, one three and one almost five! Was it ever quiet when we went back to our suite over the course of the stay! They were leaving as soon as they tidied place up so we made our farewells. Snow on both the Coquihalla and Hope Princeton so I hope they were fine on the latter.

We were in Oliver by 11:30 am and had a lovely visit with Hildi. She is in my hiking group and our book club as well. We had only expected to pop by for a few minutes, only long enough to see the work she had done but when we arrived she insisted we stay for the lovely lunch she had prepared! She is incredibly hospitable and we spent about an hour chatting and enjoying the delicious salad, [with her wonderful home-made, garlic-infused, oil and vinegar dressing], assorted cold cuts and smoked salmon with cream cheese, on fresh bread. Unfortunately, Lady Dar couldn't eat latter but there was plenty she could so we were both fine. 

Hildi now lives in the house she grew up in although she even lived in Winnipeg when she was married! Her parents owned and farmed five acres of orchards next to the house itself. She is a font of local history and gossip so it is delightful to listen to all her stories about Oliver and surrounding countryside. Thanking her for the delicious lunch and tour of her place, we waved goodby and were home by just after 1:00 pm. At one point I had thought I might ride from her place back to Penticton, but, naturally, since I would be heading North, the wind cooperated by deciding to blow from the NNW at 22 kph! Decided I'd wait and see how things looked once home but by the time we'd unloaded and unpacked I still had plenty of other chores to do so convinced myself, rather easily, I might add, to wait until tomorrow.

Must away as Lady Dar is calling. We will zap some of the fabulous overlefts from last night's feast and watch an episode of Homeland, recorded on Sunday evening. All the best to you both from her and Chloë. Etta and Duke are very pleased to have us home and have been following us around since we arrived back at Burns! Take care of yourselves. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Really enjoyed the video of The Day The Music Died! Thanks, Sandee!
American Pie was the name of the plane that Buddy Holly went down in.
http://youtu.be/VhX3b1h7GQw Pics: Easter Egg and fingernail painting on Saturday evening, after wine-tasting! Pre-brunch Easter Sunday with three well behaved grandchildren and one grumpy grandson! Not when dessert is offered! Grace and Megan, Ryan's daughter and wife. He is in Yellowknife and was on his two week work rotation. Tired grandparents this morning! Hildi with her Easter egg trees, a tradition in the town she is originally from in Germany. Duke was sleeping on Lady Dar's lap this afternoon but moved to nap on my cycling gloves later on!

Hi Von Bingen Just a quick note to thank you for the lovely, lovely, tasty as all get-out lunch!  The delicious salad, with your wonderful home-made, garlic-infused, oil and vinegar dressing and smoked salmon with cream cheese, on fresh bread, were more than divine. Unfortunately, Lady Dar couldn't eat the latter but there was plenty she could so thanks again for such tasty fare. Marinated blueberries were individual mini-bombs of flavour. Your hospitality, as always, is more than bountiful and extremely generous. Thanks as well, of course, for showing us all your terrific renovations. Certainly much appreciated.

You are such a font of local history that it is simply delightful to listen to all your stories about Oliver and the surrounding countryside and its fascinating inhabitants. You are lucky we didn't stay the night we were so enthralled. You could have kissed The Intersection Merlot goodbye then! 

You will have noticed that I've included Josinta and Aarturo in this message as I thought they might need a little cheering up after their bouts of illness, [Trust you are both well on the mend, Summerlandians!], and your smile can fix anything! Please pass along best wishes to Senka and Bobolino when bottling. See you at Book Club next week. Fondestos from Lady Dar, abed already, reading with Duke beside her! Cheers, Patrizzio!

I missed out on a lot of fun activities the last 2 weeks, and when I see Hildis smiling face, and read Patrick's blog about the Easter celebrations in Olliver I cant wait to be part of it all again. I just walked a little round with Arturo for 40 minutes and I am " pooped", but, its a promising start. See you soon my friends. Jos Hi Josinta! Glad to hear that you are up and about even if effort is tiring. Will you be playing bridge tomorrow evening? Hope so but let me know, either way, and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! Yes, looking forward to play tomorrow. I will be at your house 6.20pm. Jos

Hello Flamin' and Sarge et al! Just a quick note to thank you and the rest of the Travelling Road Show for including us in the wonderful Easter weekend. I gather that there was snow on both the Coquihalla and Hope Princeton so I hope everyone was fine on either. Also heard that there was a wild fire near Merritt so wonder if that affected travel. Coincidentally, when we were coming down Eckhardt to turn into our back lane we could see a considerable amount of smoke above the hills one drives between, on Green Mountain Road which leads to Apex. Haven't yet heard what happened.

For dinner we zapped some of the fabulous overlefts from last night's feast, [Thanks again!], and watched next episode of Homeland, recorded on Sunday evening, as well as one of Instinct. All the best to one and all from Lady Dar and  Chloë. Etta and Duke are very pleased to have us home and have been following us around since we arrived back at Burns! Take care of yourselves until next our paths cross. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Saturday and Sunday and then Exhausted Grandparents on Monday morning! We had a great time and look forward to many more times at Spirit Ridge. Next time I will take my bike.  
Wayne Hi Sarge! Glad you made it home safely. Look forward to riding Anarchist with you! I'll be in touch about the weekend of April 12-15th as if Chloë drives in she wants to leave on Thursday. Not yet decided. You may have heard that the restaurant, Fergie's, where Krissy works, in Squamish, burned down today! Talk about disaster following her, poor kid! Cheers,Patrizzio!

Belated 🐣 Easter 🐣 wishes to you, Corinne and Chloe. We love the Jacquie Lawson cards. Dawn & Gerry 

Hello Old Farts, Just look at the spring weather! I think it is time to lace up our boots and go for a hike. So, this Thursday, we will: -meet at 0900 at IGA parking lot in Summerland (0840 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton) -carpool and make our way to a trailhead for Rattlesnake Mountain- -explore and enjoy the views -meet after for debriefing and coffee, probably at The Beanery in Summerland. If you are up for a hike, let me know in the next couple of days. Cheers, Jim


And now for some shameless advertising…….The Penticton Tune Agers will be presenting their Spring Concert, “Here’s to Song” -Saturday, April 14th, 3pm
-Sunday, April 15th, 2pm -at the Shatford Centre Tickets are available from Aart or Jim, at the Shatford Centre, or at the door.

Hi James! Pleased to see that you will be back hiking. I'm sorry that I won't be joining gang as I've too, too many things to do before I fly to Paris on April 16th. On the matter of Jud's untimely death, do you know any more details, particularly about a memorial service? We spent the weekend at Spirit Ridge and stopped in Oliver to see Hildi and the matter of Jud's death came up so I thought I'd ask if you had received any additional information. I presume you would have sent out a message if you had but wanted to inquire. Given timing I assume I may well be away for any service. [I will be heading into Vancouver the weekend before my flight so I'll miss The Tune Agers concert, unfortunately, for me.] Such a sad, sad affair, it hardly bears thinking upon, particularly for those of you who knew him so well. At any rate, all the best to you and  Carol from Lady Dar. Hello to hiking crew. Take care of yourselves. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: From dinner at Linda's last Tuesday along with Kyla, Linda's niece.

Hi, Patrick: I hope you had a very happy Easter. Thank you for your delightful floral e-greetings. And pleased that you liked my hedgehugs! I have a deep affection for hedgehogs, and as you may have noticed, my apartment is filled with the little pricklies, from coasters to crystal. But you know, there's a question to be asked: "Hedgehogs. Why can't they just share the hedge?"

The main purpose of today's message :-) is to convey Polish contact information. As mentioned previously, I have great contacts there. However, I'm not sure if I explained HOW I came to have those contacts. It's a bit of a story, but you WILL find the contact information towards the end (and as you'll see, Zeb and Ewa have already replied to my Easter greetings and are waiting to hear from you).

It actually starts in the hot tub at the U.B.C. Aquatic Centre. For many years, in the '90s and early 2000s, I went swimming 3-4 times a week, including -- almost invariably -- Tuesday and Thursday nights, when they were still open until 11:30 p.m. A social group evolved that endured for quite a few years -- like an aquatic version of going to the pub -- and I made some lasting friendships there.

One evening in 1997, an animated discussion/debate started, as occurred from time to time, during which I noticed a man sitting next to me, watching and listening with interest. That was Zeb (short for Zbigniew). He was at the pool with Stan (Stanislaw) and as I soon discovered, they were spending five months at U.B.C. under the auspices of the Dekaban Foundation. The Foundation has been in existence since at least the 1980s, I think. I am not sure where they get their funding, but the main brief is to bring four Polish academics to U.B.C. annually. 


They come as visiting scholars -- two in January and two in July -- and stay for five or six months. There is an apartment in Acadia Park that they rotate through. As a secondary endeavour, the Foundation also funds shorter visits -- of several weeks duration-- for both Polish and U.B.C. academics (in both directions) to present papers and that sort of thing. Some of the "longer" Dekaban visitors return to U.B.C. later under the short-term program. A particular characteristic of the Dekaban program is that the scholars are all from Polish agricultural universities, with academic specialties ranging from food science to botany to water engineering.

Anyhow, I met Zeb and Stan again on my next visit to the pool. It happened that a long weekend was on the horizon, another pool friend, Bruce (who I think you met at my place one time) and I suggested a sightseeing outing. This was a great success and marked the point at which the "Polish connection" really started to build momentum. Stan, then returned to Poland, about a month earlier than Zeb, and Bruce was away for some time as well. So in this initial stage, it was mainly Zeb and me. Zeb became and remains one of my best friends -- a kindred spirit.

Jump ahead a little -- I was already planning a trip to Europe (Italy) that year, and was thinking about how I wanted to spend time after Italy. I had France in mind, but after meeting the Poles, decided to change the trajectory of my trip. So I travelled by train from Venice, via Vienna, to Krakow, where I stayed at the home of one of Zeb's colleagues (Zeb himself lives in a different city). Poland was not long out of its communist period and it still seemed like a very different world. As a Canadian, I was the focus of considerable interest and was treated like a royal visitor. Zeb's colleague had a younger brother Marek, who was keen to practise English -- and who had a car! Marek took time to drive me places and see and experience things that I never would have managed on my own -- it was wonderful. Then, from Krakow, I took the train to Zeb's city, Poznan, where the welcome was similarly effusive.

Back in Vancouver . . . the next set of Dekaban visitors (Artur and Tomasz) had briefly overlapped with Zeb and I spent time with them as well, acting as a sort of local guide. Thereafter, for a lengthy period -- at least 10 years or so -- I regularly contacted each new set of visitors and similarly acted as an unofficial local guide/host. For a time, before he moved to New York, Bruce was quite involved as well and we met many, many visitors from Poland -- literally dozens.

In due course, because of other pressures, I stepped back from my informal local guiding gig for Dekaban visitors, but in 2015, Zeb emailed to say that one of his female colleagues would be coming to U.B.C. as a Dekaban scholar, and to ask me to reach out to her. Thus I met Ewelina and her co-Dekaban, Ewa. And as it happened, although I liked Ewelina -- who was rather shy and quiet -- it was Ewa with whom I forged the stronger bond.

Fast-forward to last fall: Mum and I went to Berlin for about a week. Thereafter, Mum flew back to London while I travelled by train to Poznan, where Zeb met me at the station (much transformed since my first visit in 1997 -- now part of a huge mall). After a short stay in Poznan, I travelled to new-to-me places in Poland -- Torun, Malbork, Gdansk -- where I had no contacts (there being no agricultural universities in those places) and eventually to Warsaw, where I spent time with Ewa, and with earlier Dekaban contacts, Dariusz and Cecile.

So here are the contact details and I do hope that you may manage to meet some or all of these lovely people. I am not sure whether they would be able to offer accommodation as they mainly live in flats. (Except for my first visit, when I stayed with Zeb's colleague in Krakow, I have always stayed in hotels while travelling in Poland, so the question didn't come up). But Artur in particular (see below) might offer. I have already emailed everyone and I hope that you may be able to find time to drop them a quick note before you leave, just to open the communication.

Zeb Krejpcio - My longest-time Polish friend. First visited Vancouver as a Dekaban scholar in 1997, returned as a short-term academic visitor in 2008. His home is in Poznan, western Poland, where he lives with his wife, Henryka, and adult son, Tomek, who is studying pharmacy. Speaks better English than we do. Zeb is a very successful food scientist and has travelled a great deal internationally, to attend conferences, etc. He also absolutely loves Portugal, and plans another of his frequent trips sometime in June. However, he has not yet set a date, so contact him quickly if you think there is a chance that you may be in Poznan. Poznan is very conveniently located for Berlin and onward train travel (approximately a 2.5 hour direct rail journey). From the other direction, it is on a direct line from Warsaw. Zeb has already replied to say that "I will be pleased to meet your fiend (sic :-)) Patric Dunn, as your friends are also my friends (by definition)."

Arthur Radecki - Met at U.B.C. in 1997 and he was also here for a short-term Dekaban visit in 2006. He's invited me to stay at his house in Krakow, but as it happens, he was in Vancouver during my one-and-only trip to Krakow (in 1997) and in any case, it had already been arranged that I would stay at the home of Zeb's colleague. During this last trip, Arthur considered travelling from Krakow to Warsaw so that we could have a visit, but it didn't happen. Thus, my only contact with Artur has been during his two visits to Vancouver. He is married -- to a librarian! -- and they have an adult son, Bartosz.


Ewa Sicinska - Ewa lives in Warsaw and is married, with two daughters, Sophie and Nela (ages approximately 12 and 14). Her husband, Wojtek, is a pilot in the Polish Air Force. During her Dekaban stint, the whole family came over for the month of August. The weather was good, and we all had a great time. They were hugely excited by my visit to Warsaw last fall. The entire family met me at the railway station -- it was a Sunday -- and we spent a wonderful day together. Ewa also subsequently took a day off work for further visiting and sightseeing. She has now replied to the Easter message that I sent a couple of days ago: "We will be happy to meet your friend Patrick and show him Warsaw. Please ask him to give me some details of his trip to Poland - your friends are our friends."

Dariusz Piotroswki and Cecile Popelin - Also live in Warsaw. Dariusz was a Dekaban visitor in 2003, at which time he was newly married to Cecile, who is French. Cecile joined him for quite a lengthy period, during which she furthered her English studies, although she was already pretty good. She now teaches French and does translation work in Warsaw. They are very devout Catholics and met on a pilgrimage in one of the Baltic States. Dariusz is a bit of a nervous/hyper type but Cecile is very steady and is a mitigating influence. They were similarly thrilled by my visit to Warsaw last fall, during which I spent a day with them as well.

 

Hope this helps and also that this last week of preparations for your European sojourn goes well . . . always so much to do. More hedgehugs! Janet P.S. POUS no longer bound for La Ronge. Has a passenger airline flying gig based in Montreal -- PAL Airlines. Starting date TBA. Hi Hedgehugger Goil! Thank you, yes, we did have a marvellous weekend. Trust you enjoyed the Easter holiday as well. 

Before I proceed with more details of weekend, I want to thank you so much for the Brief History of Polish Academics! Seriously, thanks so much, not only for letting your dear friends know about me and my planned trip to Krakow but also for providing contact information. They all sound like extremely interesting, exciting, hospitable folk and I do hope I am able to meet all or some of them. I plan to send them an introductory message, as soon as I am able, letting them know a bit about myself and when I will be in Poland. Further to that, I'll be in touch again, once I know more about some of my other visits/travel plans. Again, thank you for the most generous introductions. Now, back to the recent past! All the best to you from Lady Dar and Chloë. Take care of yourself. Janet. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Pleased that POUS is now a PAL!

Happy Easter Patrick and Corinne! What a beautiful card! We have had another snowstorm so I think our flowers will sleep a little longer. I hope you had a lovely weekend and that spring is alive and well in your family! xoxo Ariane  Hi Great White, Literally! Glad you enjoyed the card. Trust you enjoyed your Easter weekend. For our part, we certainly did although the weather did play an April Fools' joke on everyone as it was, overall, unseasonably cool every day except for Friday. Fondestos to you Ariane. Cheers for now, Patrizzio!

Thanks for the greeting and Happy Easter to you as well. Love Roma Hi Roma and Leonard! Glad you enjoyed the card. Unfortunately, Winter refuses to loose its icy fingers on what is supposed to be Spring, here in the Sunny Okanagan!
Fondestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick and Lady Dar, thank you for the beautiful spring scene. We have many flowers out now in Victoria and the Fawn Lilies that always make me feel as though spring is really here are coming up. We had a very happy Easter day today. Our annual Easter egg hunt involved 9 young children searching for nests with Easter surprises in them. We had a big brunch afterwards. Wishing you the best on this Easter weekend. Anthea and Jim Hi Anthea and James! Glad you enjoyed the card. You sound as if you truly enjoyed your Easter weekend with its flowers, egg hunt and brunch. Fondestos to you, Victorian Royalty, Lady Anthea and Sir James! Cheers for now, Patrizzio!












No comments:

Post a Comment