Wednesday 18 April 2018

Trans-Atlantic Heathrow Clearing Customs Blues: Wednesday, April 18th!

 If only I could so live and so serve the world that after me there should never again be birds in cages. -Isak Dinesen (pen name of Karen Blixen), author (17 Apr 1885-1962)


Hi Derek! The 3:05 pm train is just about to leave from platform 1. I tried to call but my new phone isn't on the network yet! I will send a more detailed message but you could try to call me at my new "burner" number. Kind passenger next to me just checked with his train app and I should arrive in Truro at 8:00 pm. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Tried to call but no connection. Just sent text. Will pick you up at Truro. Gayle will make a light dinner for us. Hope train journey is uneventfu!


[Hello Goils! Will you make arrangements to collect wine or give them a call to say someone will collect it, unless this has already been done. Thanks and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Mom, Do you need me to do anything?? Hi again, The Sisterhood! Probably just phone winery to say please hold wine until one of us drops by. Send Etta and Duke if Uncle George can't make the trip, in Rosita's new car! Cheers, Dad/Patizzio! I will give them a call. Corinne]

Hi again, Derek! At least the free WiFi on the GWR is working! The chap at Vodafone said it would take about 15 minutes for phone to be hooked into the system but it seems to be taking much longer than that, based on calls I made and one you tried. Anyway, thank Gayle for making the light supper. Hard to believe that it is so bright and sunny and warm here while it remains unseasonably cold and wet, both in Penticton and Vancouver. Chloë experienced light snow on the Coquihalla this past Sunday, although it didn't stick when she was driving home. However, Ryan, Sutherland's eldest, who lives in Kamloops, reported it was snowing heavily and then turned to torrential rain when they drove same route about five hours after Chloë passed through.

My rail pass puts me in First Class so this is an experience I have rarely enjoyed. Seats are very comfortable and three other chaps in same "booth" are quite pleasant and it is interesting to "eavesdrop" on the two who are obviously work colleagues. Just learned that there are complimentary light snacks, bottled water and tea/coffee so I might have to avail myself of some java as my eyelids are starting to droop. One of the side windows at back of carriage is open so I often go there for a breath of fresh air to help wake me up. All going well I'll see you around 8:00 pm. 

On another matter, I believe I'm supposed to pre-book my return trip, (or any trips, for that matter), ahead of time so if that can be done while we are at the station this evening I'd like to do that. If you have any suggestions about departure times, on Sunday, more to suit your schedule than mine, I'd appreciate knowing what you think. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Rhoda Maccormick: Send me updates about your trip - I’m really interested for next spring. At this moment I'm hurtling towards Cornwall on the 15:03 train out of Paddington, after landing in Heathrow at noon. Much more to tell but will send a more detailed message when I'm actually in Blackwater, where we did house exchange with Gayle and Derek in 2013. Cheers, Patrizzio! Cool! Keep on hurtling! I’m playing pickleball!


Glad trip is going smoothly. It’s quite a nice train journey down but can imagine you are pretty jet lagged. Feel free to have a shower when you arrive before dinner. The booking office will be closed when you arrive. We are in backward Cornwall don’t you know! You can do it on line or we can pop in tomorrow morning before Gayle and I head off to Trelissick. See you soon By the way there are trains on Sunday at 10.33 arriving London at 16.22 or 11.43 arriving at 17.28 Hi Patrick, Heard your message left on our answering machine a couple of nights ago -hope you are over jet- lag by now. I remembered that you were going on this big long trip to Europe this spring-summer -nothing in small measures for our Patrick!
 

Sadly we recently heard that Ted had passed away. Have not been to VRC until recently, so I haven’t been keeping up to date on people from there. Did you hear that Af Khan moved up to Kelowna? That was ages ago. Also, Steve Lawton is retiring this summer.

My right buttock and leg have been bugging me quite a bit lately. (my surgery was on the left side but fortunately the current prob is minor in contrast). How are you and Corrine doing health-wise these days? We were up in Kelowna just last week for a quick visit to our friend Hazel who has recently discovered she has 4th stage lung cancer -real bummer!
 

We are leaving for Europe in late May (all France & England) and will return in late June. You and Corrine are very welcome to stay with us for a couple of nights around July 10th. Denise is having cataract day surgery scheduled on July 13th so we will have to work your visit around that. We are not planning on visiting the OK Valley this summer unless Hazel wants us up there. So have a great time. 

Sorry I didn't say goodbye but thought you needed you beauty rest for the long flight. Can't imagine how your seat mate will endure the long flight but buy him/ her a glass of wine for me. Have a great trip I will send updated photos of the fridge M Hi Flamin'! I thought you left early so that you wouldn't have to confirm that my flight was on time! Anyway, look forward to a regular, detailed fridge management update!

Once at my Boarding Gate, I was able to keep sending messages until just before I had to line up for Zone 4. Was pleased to find that there was plenty of room for my panniers and carrier in the overhead luggage bin. There was a young woman siting in the window seat when I arrived and we were both delighted that nobody came to claim the middle seat before the doors closed. So no need to placate anyone with hootch! She lives in Kelowna and is a student at UBC Okanagan, doing Anthropology. She will be working on her Master's degree but has not yet started that course of studies. Anyway, she was en route to Zurich to visit her boyfriend who is Swiss and lives there. She mentioned she will only be there for five weeks but will return next year for a year. We had a pleasant chat until just after take-of and then we both started watching movies.

Customs and Immigration was a well-ordered nightmare. We deplaned at about 12:15 pm and it took about twenty minutes to get to Passport Control. Made it to an officer by 1:45 am and then another ten or so to get to platform where Heathrow Express leaves from. Non-peak hour rate was £22 and train arrived about seven minutes after I had purchased my ticket. Really does get one into Paddington in fifteen minutes so that was great. However, we didn't leave Heathrow until just before 2:00 pm so I knew the 3:05 pm departure to Truro was possible. Not by much as by the time I picked up a cell at Vodafone and had it activated it was 2:45 pm and platform had not been posted! Took advantage of wait to buy what turned out to be quite a tasty baguette sandwich, (chicken and bacon), and a bottle of water. Purchases in hand I found listing on timetable board and made for Platform 1. Hopped into the first coach as it was First Class and my BritRail pass entitles me to travel in Luxury, Sheer Luxury. 
 
Had tried to call Derek from the Vodophone kiosk but an automated response said I had used up all my 100 minutes and needed to top up! When I asked the chap about this he said it would take about twenty minute for everything to be initiated. Tried again, once I found a seat but still the same response. Fortunately there is free WiFi on the train so I was able to send Derek an email and he will collect me at 8:00 pm, in Truro. However, there have been numerous short delays, starting at the first stop, Reading, which will probably make us at least half an hour late. 

Anyway, I'm pretty comfortable, working away on messaging, jumping up every so often to snap a few pictures. The countryside is lovely and once past Exeter track runs along the coast so some gorgeous views. Crossed the bridge to Cornwall around 7:00 pm and it reminded me of driving over it, towards the end of July, 2013, when we were coming from staying in Devon at The Malt Scoop, the wonderful vacation cottage owned by Chris and Mandy Durston, second cousins to Lady Dar. 

Must away as I want to pack up all my belongings as I've spread them out over the table that I've had to myself for last few hours, other passengers having left train at earlier stations. Fondestos to you and Sarge! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Various stations along the way and surrounding countryside. now be personable and talk to your hosts don't be into your digitation 

Send me updates about your trip - I’m really interested for next spring At this moment I'm hurtling towards Cornwall on the 15:03 train out of Paddington, after landing in Heathrow at noon. Much more to tell but will send a more detailed message when I'm actually in Blackwater, where we did house exchange with Gayle and Derek in 2013. Cheers, Patrizzio! Cool! Keep on hurtling ! I’m playing pickleball!

Greetings from Cornwall to The Sisterhood! Trust everyone is well. In fact the train made up time and we arrived in Truro almost exactly as scheduled. Had a terrific view of the cathedral as train made its way into town. Derek was waiting for me and after we'd greeted one another we loaded my baggage into the car and we took off, having to be reminded to get into the left passenger seat! Great feeling to be back where we'd spent such a delightful month. Gayle was waiting at the door when we were back and we greeted one another. Once I'd unpacked a few things I had a quick shower and it felt simply wonderful after being on the road for almost eighteen hours, or more, given having been at YVR for more than two hours before plane left.Furthermore, it was quite hot in London so I was baking by the time I'd made my way to Paddington.

Had a fabulous Salmon Nicoise by Gayle with a dressing that I must try to emulate. A few glasses of the house red and I was feeling pretty good. I broke out the Bruichladdich Bere Barley 2009, 50%, I'd picked up at YVR Duty Free and Derek and I enjoyed two or even three snorts, so divine, so dense and velvety was the mouth-feel, with a hint of apples in golden syrup, that we couldn't stop pouring! Will have to replicate the recipe for the this really tasty, mouth-watering whisky.

Going on 11:00 pm I was starting to fade so I bid goodnight to my most gracious hosts and toddled off to bed, sinking into the wonderful mattress, relishing the sheer blis sof being able to lie down and sleep! Fondestos to one and all! Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Glad you arrived safely!! Love to D&G please ask them to show you how to text on your new cell!!! And please take a photo of you using this new device of yours!!! Love you, Chloë Alexis❤️❤️ Glad your connections all worked out. We received the $500 from Fortis. Priced out the new appliances I want for kitchen and received a quote from Home Hardware for $4800 tax included.

Off to book club tonight but chest still feels tight maybe need to go back to doctor. Have Kitchen Sink tomorrow with Chloe and Cirque du Soleil tickets on Friday night and Musaic concert on Saturday night so busy week. Give my love to Gayle and Derryk Hugs Corinne



Hello again, The Sisterhood! Trust you are feeling better, Duhlink. Don't let tightness in your chest go on too long as you might have pneumonia. Instead of going to the dottore, buy a really expensive bottle of malt with the Fortis rebate! Perhaps you should cancel all your social engagements and stay home with The Kittens! Appliance quotation sounds pretty good. Gayle and Derek send their thanks for your best wishes and send more back, to one and all.
 
On a very sad note, Spuddy isn't doing all that well. Poor chap is nothing but skin and bones. His face is still very handsome but Derek said a very strong wind almost knocked him over a few days ago. He isn't eating much, if at all, so I think he is near the end. Of course both Gayle and Derek are aware of this and their vet said they need to be alert to signs of pain and other discomfort as nothing to be done about his deteriorating condition. After dinner last night, Gayle cradled him and he stayed in her arms, taking comfort in her touch, I'm sure. He has an electric pad where he sleeps and a ramp up to the cat door in the window as he can't hop up to the outside sill anymore. Fondestos to one and all! Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Pics: Dinner last night
 

No comments:

Post a Comment