Wednesday 30 January 2019

Early Morning Cat Tussle Blues: Wednesday, January 30th!

The power to command frequently causes failure to think. -Barbara Tuchman, author and historian (30 Jan 1912-1989)





Hi Patrick, I enjoyed hearing your voice yesterday. I’ve put $400 in our joint acct. but will add another $50. So please deposit $450. Just killed about 20 wasps in my bedroom. Hopefully something will be done today. Can’t turn the light on with out them appearing. Cloudy morning here. Off to fashion show around 11 am hope the weather is good as it is outside in Guayabitos where they have the Monday market. Hugs to my favourite man, Cora Lee Hi WASP Wasp Woman et al, especially 94 Year Old!!

A wig shop in Kyoto, Japan
Photo: sprklg
Wonderful to talk with my Favourite Darling as well! I was "allowed" to sleep in until just before 6:00 am this morning when I got up to present the felines with their ration of pumpkin. I was surprised that neither wanted out afterwards. Etta is on shower mat and Duke gazing out front window after searching for an elastic under the pile of papers I had bedside my computer. Most are on the floor now! Speaking of which, I found, in bathroom basket, a BC Book World, , featuring Wade Davis, and wondered if you wanted it saved. If not I'll use it for fireplace as I'm running short of paper, not having a regular supply of Globe & Mail! Even asked Corey, yesterday afternoon when both of us were out in back lane, [Tiger Lily and friends dropping large rocks on ice, smashing patches into smithereens!], if he had any old newspapers/flyers. He said he did and I found a small plastic bag hung on back door later on. Will have to thank him when next I see him or ask one of his customers to do it for me!

Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
Photo: Ray in Manila
Have transferred funds so you will be able to lead the good life until you can overcharge Chooch and Brunello! Must away as I want to lay a fire but before that I have to play with The Boy, who is murmurling, pathetically, looking at me with the saddest eyes in the world! Plan to start watching Black Earth Rising as I noticed trailer for it is now showing on Netflix. According to site it is aboutthe prosecution of international war criminals: The story centres on Kate Ashby, who works as a legal investigator in the London law chambers of Michael Ennis. When Kate's adoptive mother Eve takes on a case prosecuting an African militia leader, the story pulls Michael and Kate into a journey that will upend their lives forever. Take care of yourself, Duhlink! Much love from your favourite felines and your Favourite Man! Cheers, Patrizzio!

[Todd Duncan, Anne Brown " Bess, You is My Woman" Original Porgy and Bess (1940)] PS: Just had a note from Olga Polga and she wants to go snowshoeing with David and I tomorrow so I 'll ask her to bring Becoming. She said she would do so if I paid her $75 USD! Anyway, glad she is feeling well enough to get out. Also, looks like we'll play bridge next Wednesday as a number cannot make Monday. I have offered to host. I was supposed to play yesterday afternoon, with Jos, at Anglican Church in Summerland, but she and Aarturos had to meet with their lawyer. Apparently they are in the initial stages of a very messy, complicated lawsuit over collapse of the bank at the front of their property. Neighbours claim it had nothing to do with leak in their water pipe in spite of city and geo-technical reports to the contrary. The owners have their house up for sale so it is a nasty situation all around. Apparently they refused to negotiate any shared costs for remediation, hence law-suit.

Had a wonderful birthday weekend, stayed with Pam ,we got our hair done
Went out for lunch, had pedicures, ordered in Chinese food, and watched a movie, as it was too cold to go out. On Sunday we went to book launch of My Magical Moon, Emmett & Quinn both read a page, they sold over 100 books at the launch. At 4:30 we went to restaurant for birthday dinner, 20 of us, Italian family owned place. A great weekend, I am a very lucky Mother & Grandma.
 
Was - 40 this morning when I checked thermometer out side my bedroom window. Talked to Corinne yesterday, also Patti & Rachael. Mar is working one day a week at work & one day at home. She has appointment with Dr soon to see how things are at this time. Too cold to do anything outside,some schools were closed, no buses. George is still working on floor in hallway ,it wasn’t level so had to get some leveling cement to see if that works, nothing is ever simple! Looks like you & Chloe are taking care of each other. I had a nice talk on the phone with her. Take care, Clara 

Hi Rosita! Trust you are not frozen solid! I'm watching Black Earth Rising. Do you know this series? Well worth watching as far as I'm concerned and it keeps my mind off my terrible loneliness, bitter cold, spoiled cats and empty malt bottles! Take care of yourself. Much Love and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrizzio, Thanks for the welcome back and yes I'd like to join you and David for a snowshoe tomorrow morning. What time should I be at your place? and are we packing a bit of a lunch? As for Bridge I am not able to play tonight (Wednesday Jan. 9) but any other night will be great. Please let me know. Hugs, Olly Hi Rolly Polly! Great that you are going to join us for Idleback! David will be here around 9:15 am so if you plan to arrive shortly after 9:00 am that would be fine. We will both pack something to eat and drink. If you could bring Becoming that would be much appreciated. Bridge will probably be next Wednesday evening, February 6th, here, so let me know if you can make that date. Look forward to seeing you. Chatted with Lady Dar yesterday and she sends her fond regards. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Ski Bums! Trust your tour of the slopes is going well. Just checking in to confirm your plans while here. Do you have any idea when you will arrive on Friday, February 1st? No big deal but I was planning to prepare dinner that night so just give me some idea of ETA. Did you still wish to go out for dinner one night? Either Friday or Saturday is fine with me. I thought that with travelling on Friday, a night in might be more relaxing but you decide. Furthermore did you want me to make a reservation somewhere? Do you wish to include Chloë as she is around this coming weekend. Furthermore, are you planning on skiing here at Apex? Saturday? If so, Chloë and I might go snowshoeing at Snowflake, near Apex. Anyway, let me know and I'll/we'll plan accordingly. Stay well. Travel safely. Fondestos and Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Duke last night!

Ahoy! Just arrived Silver Star-Mountain # 4... Dinner in Friday would be great-should be there by mid/late afternoon. We can take you & Chloe out Saturday-your pick! Will have wine and single malt in tow. Not skiing Apex-we go to Big White on Sunday. Look forward to seeing you! Cheers, G& F
Hi Silver Star Stars, et al! Great that all goes well. I have just made a reservation for Saturday, 7:30 pm, at Front Street Brasserie. On another matter, Chloë mentioned that Kid Chelene and Beckster would like to see you both so perhaps I'll let you contact them directly, to make whatever arrangements might work for both parties.

Enjoy your time at Silver Star and will look forward to seeing you on Friday, whenever you pull into town. Give me a shout when you are close and I'll have Etta and Duke clean up your room as it hasn't been done since you were last here! [El Diablo has chewed up all his elastic bands so he wondered if you have any old gut guitar strings!] Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi again, Bidsters! To date, Dianna, Judy Blue, and O Susannah, [with much arm-twisting and hair-pulling], have agreed to play this coming Wednesday so game is on. If we have at least two others, Green Gables Girl will attend so those non-committed, to date, please advise so that I can plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Fancy Socks Social Co-Ordinator! Hello Fancy Socks Coördinator, If we have enough for 2 tables I can play Wednesday next week. Cheers, Jos See you next Wednesday Patrick. Dianne Hi Dianna! Great! Working on two table now. Looks promising! Cheers, Patrizzio! I am with Jos , if there are enough for 2 tables I will come Wednesday , if not you 4 bid like crazy!
I would like to play next week if there is room. Either day works. Carol If you need me I could join you either day Carol

Hi again, Tao Mountain Mistress! Sorry I have not replied sooner but have been pretty busy with hiking, snowshoeing, malt tasting and bridge so no time for editing. At any rate, with respect to your writing, I reiterate, I am not an editor, but a struggling writer myself, inasmuch as I wish to improve my powers of description, as best I can, mainly for correspondence and diary/journal purposes. From what I gather your urge to write seems to stem from a deeper creative urge/need. That being the case, write on and lose/find yourself in words. However, from what little I do know, piling adjective upon adjective upon adjective does not necessarily enliven every scene. In fact, the opposite usually occurs. By chance I came across the following quotation this past Sunday: Sit down and put down everything that comes into your head and then you're a writer. But an author is one who can judge his own stuff's worth, without pity, and destroy most of it. -Colette, author (28 Jan 1873-1954)

From the relatively brief passages you've provided, my frank opinion is that the characters you present do not have an organic existence springing from any gripping plot development, set against no more than a "paper moon" background. I do not really have any real sense of individuality of your either your dogs or gods, rather cardboard cutouts moving clumsily, even though soaring, across/through a confusing landscape. As an avid reader myself, I find that too, too many superlatives drown the narrative, especially when it is not clear where the story is actually going. These may well not be important issues for you, Jean, but for most readers, myself included, obviously, I think you will find that they are, and critically so.

That being said, continue to write, as you feel compelled to do if this urge cannot be denied, particularly if it brings satisfaction. On the other hand, you might well consider taking some sort of basic creative writing course that might well introduce you to consider some of the things that I have mentioned. Enough said. Stay well. Write feverishly, but economically, sparingly, at least according to Colette! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi again, Fashionista and Fashion Show Goer! Finally managed, with great trepidation, to get around to replying to Jean. With respect to PAG, Loving Mug Chili Cook-off is on same night as Becoming discussion. Unfortunate as I would have liked to go. Told Chloë I'd buy her ticket but think she might have a meeting that night. As you probably read, Grogg and Lurch arrive on Friday for two nights so it will be fun to catch-up. I'm providing dinner that night and then Grogg will take us, (Chloë included), to the Front Street Brasserie on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing Lisa and John again as well. Must away to try to understand your printer's installation instructions. Will wake Duke up so that he can help me. Etta is already waiting on the office chair. Technocats!!! Love and Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad!

Tummler, good to hear from you. Thanks for sharing the snowshoe journey with the rainforest moss-heads. Some of us miss the snow. We remember fondly our snowshoe adventure with you and Morita - her first time on the snow. All is well at Ukiyo. Spring appears to be upon us here with flowers already showing - I hope not prematurely.

We rode past your old digs on GI on the weekend and remembered fondly the Islay Inn and even the questionable proprietors. Rode a dipsy-doodle around False Creek for old time sake. It is time you returned to the coast for some serious training. Let us know how the fitness regime is shaping up and when you go under the knife. And what the rehab looks like. And if you are planning a journey to the lower mainland. Fond regards to Senora Corrina et al., W, CJ y Morita

Patriçio, I was just thinking the same thing(!). I have certainly shunned my computer (if not my smart phone) ever since your xmas party and here we are end of January. But, I have been making progress! I now park my car in the garage! Went off today and bought a (compound) chop saw (SLIDING, Patrick), and as I no doubt mentioned, hope to work on some fun stuff amidst the chaos of unbridled hoarding. Speaking of the guilty party, my Dad seems to be doing well, he has a private room now.

I’ve been taking care of Juno while Rebecca is in NZ, but other than that, I am sort of trying to figure out my next move. After tomorrow, that is. The truck is 1/2 loaded, need to top it up and do a recycling run. Can’t wait! After that, there is the Mar 4th Whitecaps opener. Hmmm, … I need to get out more. Are you in town anytime soon? Branko
 


No comments:

Post a Comment