Sunday 13 January 2019

Trout Creek and The Naramata Bench Blues: Sunday, January 13th!

To move freely you must be deeply rooted. -Bella Lewitzky, dancer (13 Jan 1916-2004)



 




Good morning Patrick I guess by now you have surmised that I am not playing bridge on Monday. Still muddling about trying to get back to a routine. How are you making out on your own? Will you please give me Chloe s number. I lent her my snowshoes while I was away so want to make arrangements to get them back...My regards to the bridge players and I will try to make it next week Judy
Xo


Hi Judy Blue! Sorry to hear that you are struggling with muddling! Not sure if you won't be playing bridge tomorrow. Did you mean you might be back the following Monday? Please let me know. Thanks. Here is Chloe's number and I'm sure she would be happy to drop off your snowshoes if you call. [I gave her a pair for Christmas and she broke them in on New Year's Day, out of Vernon.] She was over for dinner last night and I made a Shepherd's Pie for dinner. Was pleased with the result so it seems that being on my own has forced me to become more adept in the kitchen, going beyond scullion to sous-chef!

Don't seem to have had much time to be lonely ever since Lady Dar left. [She is having a wonderful time and Olga Polga has been with her since this past Monday.] Have been out snowshoeing three times, twice this past week, on Thursday and again on Friday when I had a simply marvellous time with neighbour Bill and two of his friends, Harvey and Gord, snowshoeing out of Apex, along a logging road beside Keremeos Creek.

Etta and Duke have been wonderful company as well, so they keep me entertained. Etta, in particular, has taken to sleeping beside or on top of me, missing Lady Dar, a much appreciated fur-lined hot water bottle. Unfortunately, for Etta, I'm a fairly restless sleeper so poor thing's sleep is disturbed when I toss about! Duke, for his part, is quite demanding and cries, when I'm up, until I play with him, teasing him with elastic bands and such. He is also a terrific alarm clock, hopping onto my chest at just before 7:00 am if I'm not already up!

Must away as I want to ready the fireplace before I head out for a ride. Given the unseasonable temperatures, of late, the roads are wonderfully dry and I'm still enjoying cycling. Have never been riding in January here before. Look forward to seeing you when you have returned to your regular routine. I guess you need a holiday from your holiday. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Duke keeping Chloë warm last weekend. Ceramic statues yesterday morning! Guard cat! Medicine cabinet lookout! Duke worrying this elastic this morning. He often "washes" it in the water bowls. Resting afterwards! Album is of Friday's snowshoe outing. When Chloë can make it, and weather cooperates, I plan to take her on this route. You'd be more than welcome to join us if you'd like. About a three hour round trip with very manageable elevation gain. Much is on the flat or slight downhill grade, on logging road. Fairly short uphill grade is not steep. Overall, type of terrain that I enjoy, beginner that I am.

Lynn and Peter’s plans? Olly is bringing the book back for you to read. Did you and Chloe find a rug? How was Lynn and Peter’s? Are they really moving to Victoria? We had a lovely night out last night with some of Agneta’s friends and then on the walk back to Agneta’s I felt sick. I think I’m eating too many salads. Ruffage is not always great for me. Anyway fine today but will probably not eat. Drinking hot water and lime juice. And reading in the sun! Love to all, Corinne

Hello Limey, et al! Sorry to hear that you are struggling with too, too much roughage! [Ruffage is what dogs eat!]. I'm drinking Rose's Lime Cordial but am mixing it with rum not hot water! You should do the same. Would soothe your tummy. Hope you are feeling better by now. Great that Olga Polga will mule Becoming back for me. Am really enjoying You Will Never Find Me.

Chloe was over for dinner last night and I made a Shepherd's Pie for dinner. Used ground turkey and leeks. Gave The Freeloader a large container of overlefts, using one of the Ziploc containers from the package I bought for her at Wholesale Club after we'd been to Teas & Weaves. She found a very attractive rug for just under $400 so she will still have about a $60 credit. However, she wasn't able to lift her bed to put rug under front legs, to anchor it, so I'll probably go over, at some point to help before she decides. I took my camera to take a picture at store but it was so busy that I didn't have time to do so. Really liked colour and pattern. Some of the ones she was considering were so bland that I could only shake my head.

Etta and Duke continue to be wonderful company and Duke, for his part, remains a terrific alarm clock, hopping onto my chest at just before 7:00 am if I'm not already up! This morning he woke me up with his paw, standing over me on my bureau.


Must away as I want to ready the fireplace before I head out for a ride. Given the unseasonable temperatures, of late, the roads are still wonderfully dry. Have never been riding in January here before. Will know more about plans Lighthalls have after this evening. [Message you sent only had a subject line!] Fondestos to all The Sisterhood and Love to you, my little Lime Juice Goil. Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad! PS: Send more snapolas!

Monday, January 14th - Hazel Bennett and Jim Pearmain - The History of the Dream Cafe and the Future of Live Music in Penticton Dad you should go to this.
Hi Rug Goil! Thanks for the tip. Ordinarily, I'd love to attend but am already playing bridge tomorrow evening. In fact, I'm going there on February 8th with Josinta and Aarturos to listen to Shawna Caspi, someone I don't know but do like what I've listened to on YouTube. Did you arrange to return Judy Blue's snowshoes. Guess it was a good idea to get you a pair for Christmas! Would you like me to pop over sometime to help position rug? Do you want to take another look at runner? Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Love and Cheers, Dad! 

Thanks for newsy update and Chloe's number Love your photos especially of the cats side by side No I am not playing bridge tomorrow I am happy that you are keeping busy And snowshoeing Judy Xo 

Hello Monday Nighters! Unfortunately, Judy Blue won't be playing tomorrow so that leaves us with five players. If Dianna, Susannah and Anna, (I haven't heard a peep from Carolina!), wish to play I'll sit out. There is a lecture on The Dream Café that evening so I will attend that if the three of you wish to play. I'm easy either way. Please let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks, Patrizzio!

Sorry, I can't make it. I am very sorry i havent been in touch . Been at a loss how to send a message . I believe I may have figured it out now . We just returned from victoria and now just looking after 2 dogs and our 16 month old grandson for a week. I would like to play the week of the 20th if you need a player. Cheers Carol Hi all, Just came home and Aart informed me about the Dreamcafe lecture which we both really like to attend.Can we please play another night this week. I will be able to host Wednesday night. Cheers, Jos 

Hi Patrick. I would like to attend the lecture about the Dream Cafe also so I will see you there. I am free Wednesday night to play if others agree. DianneWas in the midst of a reply re car pooling Monday when I saw Jos's reply come in about a different evening. I will then pass for this week....the rest of my week has filled in.....happy cards....until the next time. Ann Hi Mercredi Mad Women!
Looks like tomorrow is off to be replaced by Wednesday evening in Summerland, hosted by Josinta. Please let me know who plans to play and then we can work out carpooling. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks Patrick. I would like to play. Dianne. I can also drive. Hi Dianna!
Thanks for quick reply, as well as for offering to chauffeur. You are the first person I've heard from. As soon as I know more I'll be in touch with those who plan to play. Look forward to seeing you at the OC talk. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

I would like to play and would like to carpool Looking forward to it Judy Hi Patrick, I would like to play Wednesday, too. Susan Hello Bridge Companions! We are on for Wednesday in Summerland. Lady Dianna has kindly offered to chauffeur. Should Judy Blue come to Burns or will you collect her, Your Ladyship, before picking me up? Please arrange and we'll proceed accordingly. At any rate, we should plan to be knocking on Josinta's door around 6:30 pm. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
  
Spent most of the morning listening to CBC and digitating, taking a break, now and again, to play with El Diablo, worrying him with his favourite elastic. He positioned himself on the bar stool next to the one I use when on my computer and he chewed and swiped and chewed and swiped, his bright eyes never leaving the silly string I dangled in front of him. After about fifteen minutes he tired of the game and so I could return to messaging. Had corresponded until just before noon and then I cleaned the grate of ashes and laid a new fire. Didn't light it as I was going out for a ride but wanted it ready for when I returned. Suited up after this was done and was ready to head out by just after 12:30 pm.

Very light wind out of the NNW at about 3 km/h so I decided I'd make for Trout Creek. Highway is usually quieter on the weekends so not overly much, if any. semi traffic. Started out riding down Ellis to PTC and thence along Lakeshore to Riverside. From the mall there I made forr Red Wing East and did a couple of circuits in the development so that I had clocked 13 km by the time I was back on 97. Not overly much grit on the shoulder/bike allotment so I was pleased about that. 

Fairly smooth sailing all the way to Trout Creek and I dipsy-doodled my way around many of the small cul-de-sacs one encounters off Wharf before making the run to Landry Crescent. The gate to the bike/pedestrian path is now closed so I headed back to Johnson where I caught the light on 97 to complete the short loop on Fir and Tait before returning to 97 to sail along to Red Wing West. Did a quick circuit of the housing development here and then back to the highway to turn on to Riverside. Into the mall and then back on Riverside to Lakeshore. Turned off on Powell, doing an itsy-bitsy dipsy-doodle on Alberni before hitting Westminster. Once here it was home via the The Three W's, Wade, Winnipeg and White. Couldn't have been happier as the temperature, while not exactly balmy, was very,very comfortable, dressed as I was. Wind was never really an issue even though it switched to the SE at 7 km/h for the last half hour of the ride! My toes tingled a tad once I was inside but other than that, a ride in almost mid-January, was something to be both heartily enjoyed and cherished. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3298140737#.XDvNc89_88Q.email

Hello Gracious Hosts! Just a quick note to thank you both for such a spendiferous evening: the more than delicious dinner and fab Portuguese red, not to mention the flight of four malts before dinner , and the Port after the meal. Thank you for the care package as well as the kindling. I'm going to try to make soup out of the latter, Crême de Bois! See you at 4:55 pm domani for airport shuttle. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Life with The Lighthalls! Hi Patrick, An enjoyable evening. Thanks for your generous gift of the Glenrothes Bourbon Cask, a delicious whisky. See you later in your chauffeur outfit. Peter

Hello all! Here is the information for this week….


On Thursday, January 17th, we will: -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland) -carpool and head towards Apex -drop a vehicle or two at km 8 on the Apex Road
-drive to the pull-off parking area just beyond the cattleguard and avalanche area -from where Keremeos Creek crosses the Apex Road, we will snowshoe upstream beside Keremeos Creek to its headwaters -from the headwaters, make our way to the Shatford Creek forestry road and follow it until it meets the Apex Road at km 8 -retrieve vehicles and find a place for debriefing and refreshment Are you interested?  If so, I would appreciate a heads up from you.


Sunday, January 20th: Next Sunday evening we will have a full moon, and you might find that worth celebrating.  We will: -meet at 1900 (that’s 7pm) at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (1840 at IGA in Summerland)

-carpool and drive to the Snowflake parking lot -snowshoe (by moonlight, hopefully) around the Snowflake area and perhaps down the slope to Nickel Plate Lake -return to our vehicles after a couple of hours in the moonlight, and head for home.



Please remember to dress warmly (preferably in layers).  Also, bring a warm refreshment. And, very important, make sure you bring a headlamp with reliable batteries.  It is dark at times up there! Are you interested?  If so, I ask you to let me know. A gentle reminder to you……if you haven’t yet informed me, and you wish to have your name remain on our Thursday contact list, please let me know within the next 2 weeks. That’s it for this week! Cheers, Jim
Hi James! As mentioned, I'm planning to join Thursday's outing. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment