Tuesday 8 January 2019

Hunker Down Home Fire Blues: Tuesday, January 8th!

When you counsel someone, you should appear to be reminding him of something he had forgotten, not of the light he was unable to see. -Baltasar Gracian, writer and philosopher (8 Jan 1601-1658) 


Hi Paolo! Trust you are both well. I know you had asked Lady Dar about Lynne and Peter moving to Victoria. I've been invited to have dinner with them this coming Sunday and as part of the messaging, back and forth, Lynne mentioned, "Take it easy with the riding and mostly enjoy this fabulous weather. Can you believe it?! I can’t … I wish I could get oot-and-aboot too, but I have to stay in and keep on tidying up, etc. for the photographer who is coming tomorrow to take pictures of our perfectly-staged (hah!) home." Lady Dar then queried: "So Lynnie, Are you moving to Victoria? The question on the street! Paul Whitney asked me that in his last email." Not sure if she has heard anything more. However, I suppose this means that they are listing their home. Whether they will choose Victoria, where they have something, not yet finished, over Penticton remains to be seen. Might know more after I see them this coming weekend.

Chief sugar region of Brazil
Had a lovely Christmas message from Hank and Una. I gather Kjell will be back, if not already. Can't remember if I sent along the snaps, taken when you were raking leaves. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Leaves and more! Album is of yesterday's hike. [Just in case, you weren't aware, you need to click on the hypertext "patrizzioconduttore" to go to full link, then click on "Albums".] Happy New Year Switzerland! Trust you are both well. I have been meaning to say hello for ages now and thank you for your lovely Xmas card and note. Don't really receive many letters and hand-written notes these days so certainly a treat. Saw a Facebook posting of yours,Anna Maria Tremonte. Are you somewhere in Central/South America? Fond regards to you both, Anna Maria Tremonte and Rudi Rudenheimer! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Photo: Pedro Menéndez
Hello La Peñitians! Did Olga Polga arrive? If so, have you played bridge yet? Had a grand time last night. Although Ann came over she left after four hands as she said her tummy had been bothering her all day and as we had five she was happy to do so. Some good hands bid and played by everyone. Duke watched for quite some time, after drinking from sink faucet, perched in front of TV. Couldn't get out of bed this morning as Miss Etta was on my legs and Duke had me hemmed in from other side. Still on his blanket while she is keeping your office chair warm.

Had another letter from Nufloors, containing same bill. How do you wish me to proceed? Do you want me to wait until someone calls? Should I call Mike and clarify work he did relative to what they have billed us? Anyway, I'm in no rush to contact them given their handling of floor work.

Interesting that Lynne and Peter are in the process of listing their house. Have you heard anything more from Lynne? I might know more after I see them this coming weekend. Chloë gave me a call, en route to Kelowna, for another meeting. She said she might be in line for raise, given her large portfolio, so cross your fingers! She will probably come for dinner tomorrow as she has another meeting this evening. We will watch last two episodes of Sinner and perhaps last Sunday's Outlander.

On yesterday's hike both Marian and Tim told me how much they had enjoyed The 12th Man: "This breathtaking action adventures tells an incredible true-life story of heroism and a man's unbreakable will to live. Norway, 1943: after a failed anti-Nazi sabotage mission leaves his eleven comrades dead, Norwegian resistance fighter Jan Baalsrud (Thomas Gullestad) finds himself on the run from the Gestapo through the snowbound Arctic reaches of Scandinavia. It's a harrowing journey across unforgiving, frozen wilderness that will stretch on for months - and force Jan to take extreme action in order to survive"  If  I finish last season of Broadchurch might well watch it tonight. On Netflix.

I'm planning to snowshoe on Thursday. Much colder today, -7º C, this morning but around -2º C now. I know Jim French, (leader of Thursday's outing), was wondering if there would be enough snow. Must away as I want to split some kindling and fill up the boxes I use for firewood from side of house. Hello to Rolly Polly and love to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Olly arrived around 7 pm after taking the bus and a collectivo. Bus was leaving them on the road but driver managed to flag down the collectivo which was going off work and persuaded him to drive here. I had made dinner and we both slept well. Maid came this morning to change my bed and clean the place. She even did our dishes! Ha! We walked into downtown and did some shopping and then had shrimp tacos at Irma’s.
 
Found where Olly’s brother and sister in law are staying. He is Craig’s older brother. We didn’t go in as she has the flu even had the doctor to the house as she is feeling so poorly. The sister in law is Mexican but brought up in Abbotsford. Too bad I have Becoming by Michelle Obama here. Buy a copy and share it with someone. Just finished it. Found it very insightful. Out for dinner at 7:30 at Avanti which is a block away great food and really nice people. Miss you, Lady Dar

Hi Avanti People! Pleased to learn that Collectivo Goil arrived safely but distressed to learn that your dish-washing days are over so soon! Fine!!! Lady Dar's regal influence remains undiminished wherever she resides, in her own domain, or elsewhere! 

There was an interesting and quite lengthy article in the last Herald Extra on the Penticton Indian Band, having to do with alleged procedural wrongdoing by PIB chief and council from confidential documents leaked by former PIB administrator who claims he was fired for whitleblowing and is now suing for wrongful dismissal! Penticton's Genoa City! I'll save article for you, along with a lovely New Year's card and note from Jo-Anne.

I just read message from Josinta and I gather I am now the New Olly as she wants me to play bridge with her in Summerland. [Ask Olly is she will pay $4 fee!] Pleased to do so and should be fun. She is hosting next week.

On another matter a Facebook posting from Yien came up and reading between the lines I wonder if she and Mike are still together. "After a tumultuous year the last 2 weeks of 2018 were a much needed tonic with holiday time spent with very dear old friends and family, and meeting new friends." She commented to a friend: "Thanks Charlotte. You give me hope with your current happiness that there are better times ahead." Anyway, must away as it's time for dinner and more Broadchurch! Miss you truly, madly deeply, Lady Dar. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Happy New Year Dunbar! Your newsy New Year card just arrived this morning, Marps. Thanks very much for the lovely letter. Don't really receive letters and hand-written notes these days so certainly a treat. Glad Eric will be visiting and that John is well. With respect to Sarju, I had a flu shot but suffered from a very nasty cough for a week or so after Christmas. [Almost regret that I've recovered as I was self-medicating with wonderful hot rum toddies!] Furthermore, was saddened to hear about the death of your close friend, Peter Staiger, so heartfelt condolences to you and Colin.

I decided, quite some time ago, now, that rather than making New Year's resolutions I would simply try to implement anything I felt I wanted to do into each day's living. Funnily enough, more by chance than anything else I happened to stumble upon the following quotation: “May the New Year bring you courage to break your resolutions early! My own plan is to swear off every kind of virtue, so that I triumph even when I fall!” ― Aleister Crowley, Moonchild. Now that is the kind of resolution, if I made any, that I could readily embrace! That being said, I have "projects", rather than resolutions.

Chloë wants to watch the Golden Globes on Monday night so she didn't come over for dinner. I didn't mind as I was able to watch Broadchurch. Have you seen this series? Coincidentally, one of the detectives, played by Olivia Colman, was the Golden Globes winner for Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, The Favourite. I'd like to see it as I've always liked her in anything I've seen with her in it and she gives an incredible performance in Broadchurch, particularly Season I, given the plot and the character she plays.Hope you make contact with Tip. Might she be in Thailand? Fond regards if you do. Buona Fortuna with your resolutions, Marps! Onward!! Fight!!!

Happy New Year Old Oak! Trust everyone is well. I have been meaning to say hello for ages now and thank you for your lovely Xmas card and note. Delighted you will be back next summer. Might be some changes with the Lighthalls by then. Must away as bring in firewood. [Sounds like my stay at Old Oak!] Cheers, Patrizzio!


PS: Forgot to mention that when I drove Lady Dar to Kelowna on New Year's Eve on return leg I put on Rodney Crowell's Close Ties. You might remember we saw him at last year's Folk Fest and I picked up CD, Close Ties, there. Hadn't even opened package so I was keen to listen to it and must say I really like all the songs and instrumentation. East Houston Blues has a wonderful line: "Just so you understand that of which I speak/I'm a worried man on a losing streak." Cover shows Rodney who could be an older Stefano! Shades of Mitsubishi Blues!

Hi Patrick!...thanks again forge great photos from Monday's hike...Such a blue sky...beautiful views and a large enough group I will be working my way back home soon and should be back the end of January Hope to join the group on some of your outings... The snow looks cold but always fun and inviting...
 
All is well in California... It's been raining therefore lots of fresh beautiful greens grass everywhere Weather is favourable...I'm getting used to being here so that's how my life goes...going back and forth I do miss all my friends though so looking forward to reconnecting, cards,..outings.. Take care Patrick .. I hope you are keeping busy and entertained with Corinne being away... Hugs,...Elle 🙏😊
Hello Murielle! Glad you enjoyed the album and that all goes well in California. Yes, I've been busy ever since Lady Dar left. Fondestos to you, Elle. Stay well and travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment