Wednesday 16 January 2019

Mostly Sunny Eastside Blues: Wednesday, January 16th!

Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe. -Robert Service, writer (16 Jan 1874-1958)


Hello Spanish/Moroccan Sayulitans, et al! Great that you are still dispensing cold advice, even from afar, Lady Dar! More than delighted to hear, however, that you are exploring. What a coincidence, running into Nel. Shades of bumping into a chap I played squash against, in San Fernando, I think, when we were on one of our day trips. How much does the collectivo cost? Where do you catch it? How long a ride?


Say hello to Agneta. Who is playing? Bridge? Lynn? I'm off to Josinta's tonight. Dianna is driving, Judy Blue, Susannah and I so there will be five but should be fine as we can switch out. Then Kitchen Sink domani, Shoplifters, about "a family that relies on stealing from local stores to cope with a life of poverty in the poor back alleys of urban Tokyo." Fittingly, Chloë and Judy Blue have arranged for us to have sushi afterwards!

Almost, but not quite, ashamed to admit it but I didn't clamber out of bed until just after 10:00 am! Was pinned down by loyal Etta, Duke nowhere to be seen. Was up up at just after 6:30 am, however, as El Diablo was agitating for a drink then. Decided I'd better feed them before heading back under the covers. I'd been up until 2:20 am watching The Five:

In 1995, four young school friends, Mark Wells, Danny Kenwood, Slade and Pru Carew are left traumatized after Mark's five-year-old brother Jesse disappears after playing in the park with them. No trace of Jesse has ever been found. Serial killer Jakob Marosi, who had been charged with five other murders, claimed that he killed Jesse. Jesse's parents, Julie and Alan had given up all hope of ever finding the boy alive. 

Twenty years on, Kenwood is a Detective Sergeant working for Westbridge Police. When he attends the scene of a murder, he finds prostitute Annie Green, who has been brutally attacked with a hammer. A forensic analysis of DNA evidence from the crime scene provides a match for Jesse's DNA. An intricate web of trials and tribulations begins to unfold as the four childhood friends re-unite in the hope of finding Jesse alive. 

Scene of papyrus gathering in the tomb of Puyemre
Based on Harlan Coben's book of the same name and while some of it is a bit far-fetched, I do find it quite interesting. Started around 8:30 pm when I was eating my salad for dinner. Etta was on the office chair, (Moved it closer to cabinet bed as I had moved armchair, closest to shelves, back against cabinet bed as well, so there is now room to set up my bike. Will do that when it snows and sticks but, according to forecast, that may well not be for some time! In fact, will be going for a ride after I finish this message, lay fire and have a bite of brunch.), but Duke had gone out. He came back about 11:30 pm and then curled up on my legs, supported by step-stool, until just before I was too, too sleepy to continue watching! Didn't see him again until 6:30 am so not sure if he was out all night or not.

Anyway, after I'd fed them I went back to bed and The Cat Wars started shortly thereafter, in our bedroom. Loads of thuds and plenty of wild horses but I refused to mediate, snuggled down and tried to ignore the ruckus. Next thing I knew it was 10:00 am and my hot water-bottle was none to happy to be disturbed.

Must away as my tummy is rumbling and my goulash awaits: overlefts from dinner with Lynne and Peter, (yam fries and a bit of ratatouille), mixed with a small container of frozen beans, crock pot I'd made at same time I'd done turkey soup. Took them out of the freezer a day or so ago. Fuel for the road. Fondestos to Olga Polga, [Have you seen her brother-in-law and his wife? Recovered?], and greetings from The Wild Felines to their Selfish, Absentee Mistress! Much Love and Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad/Favourite Son-in-Law! Pics: From Bill, taken on hike to Moose Hut.

No Bridge, a group of women, playing up the creek and having raw fish.
Great yoga class today my 6th class since I go here. Just made a great salad for lunch with some of the left over prime rib we had for dinner last night. You would love Aventi’s. Just a block from us. Great food, good prices and service.
Could eat there every day.
 

Our gas is on again so can have a hot shower and cook. Mexico is going through a shortage as gas suppliers are not supplying needed fuel because sellers are lying about their usage to reduce their taxes. So new President is cracking down on the cheaters and suppliers are only delivering what the sellers say they are using. Hence shortages are happening everywhere. Don’t know what people who can’t afford to go out are doing. Agneta says her maid turns off the hot water gas supply for the summer and only uses cold to save money. 

Olly has only stayed in 4 or 5 star resorts so this is all an eye opener for her. Carla is coming to clean soon so much have my shower so I’m ready to go out later. She changed the beds yesterday and took linens and towels to the laundry. Sounds like you are taking care of Chloe. I’m worried she doesn’t have a boarder yet! Hugs to all, Corinne

Almost, but not quite, ashamed to admit it but I didn't clamber out of bed until just after 10:00 am this morning! Was pinned down by loyal Etta, Duke nowhere to be seen. Was up up at just after 6:30 am, however, as El Diablo was agitating for a drink then. Decided I'd better feed them before heading back under the covers. I'd been up until 2:20 am watching The Five, based on Harlan Coben's book of the same name and while some of it is a bit far-fetched, I do find it quite interesting. 

After I had zapped my java and answered some messages I ate my Dad's Delight  and was suited up and ready to roll by just before 2:00 pm and knew, from forecast, that wind was only out of the NNW at 7 km/h so I wasn't worried about it. Still a tad crisp at 2º C so I made sure I dressed warmly. Sun was shining nicely when I left house so I was glad I had won my shades. 

Since I was planning to snowshoe on the morrow, [To the headwaters of Keremeos Creek with Roald Amundsen!], I decided I'd make the outing more of a stretch ride. This being the case I switched on my gerbil personality and made for PTC, planning to hamster the distance away describing loops within loops off Power once I'd ridden along Lakeside, (Plenty of walkers out on the promenade but not as many as the acres of gulls bobbing near the shore.), and then to Riverside. Really was a glorious day so my heart was high as I drank in the icing sugar dusted hills to the west, squinting into the bright sunshine whenever I was heading SW.

With nary a care in the world I trundled along, the distance evaporating as I enjoyed the brisk, fresh air and the friendly nods of people I passed. Around 4:00 pm the clouds took over and the sun was obscured even before it sank below the hills. Still, it was still light enough that I didn't turn on my LED until last 5 km of the ride and I was back at Burns by around 4:40 pm. Since I was toasty from the ride I filled a couple of baskets of firewood from my stash on the back patio and put in some chicken to roast in the oven while I showered and changed. Had to be ready to be collected by Dianna who was chauffeuring other Pentictonites to Summerland where we were having our weekly bridge game. Still, had to shake my head in disbelief, given that I am still able to have such decent rides, mid-January. Not sure how long this will last, however, as forecast calls for snow and/or rain tomorrow. Nevertheless, a wonderful winter outing! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3306495068#.XD_gi7aZSYg.email    

Hi Swami Darjeeling! Will you be able to levitate and live on air by the time you return? I thought BC was only place that was on natural gas shortages! Lucky Chloë isn't visiting!!! You didn't answer my questiones about collectivo or suggest where the bridge book might be. Chloë doesn't need a boarder as she is always eating here! Tell Olga Polga to rough it. You'll have to as well, when you return as now that you are used to cold water I'll take down towel warmer and disconnect heated floors and electric fireplaces. Speaking of which, utility bill came today, $206.25 if paid by Feb 6th. I assume it will automatically be withdrawn from Joint Account on Pre-Authorized Payment Plan. Is that correct or do I need to pay bill myself? Please advise after your cold shower!
Loads of fun at bridge this evening. We drew cards to see who would sit out a given round and it turned out that everybody played four rounds. Had reasonably decent hands so probably claimed top score but we never tallied results. Lovely time, nonetheless. Off to watch another episode of The Five so must away. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad!

Hello Wednesday Evening Bridge Folk! Thanks to Josinta for such a lovely job of hosting and to Dianna for being such an accommodating chauffeur. Much appreciated by all, I'm sure. With respect to next week's gathering, Judy Blue has offered to host so please let me know which evening you prefer and I'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

This is a real problem. Not sure of the solution. Hi Cellular People! Corinne has the solution as Lady Dar is now Swami Darjeeling after all her yoga classes which her friend Agneta teaches! She will be able to levitate and live on air by the time she returns? Natural gas shortages so they have to time their showers, etc. Lucky Chloë isn't visiting as she spends hours in the shower!!! At any rate, since Mme Coriandre will be used to cold water I'll take down towel warmer and disconnect heated floors and electric fireplaces before she's back. Finally, she'll be one taking a cold shower instead of her asking me to do so! Stay well you Dunbarites, you! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Christina Tassell Train trip from Ollantaytambo to Aguilar Calientes Stunning scenery, then caught a bus to Machu Picchu, OMG, OMG what a stunning place! Walked 12k up to the Inca Bridge and then up to the Sun Gate. Patrick James Dunn Great, great snapolas, Teens! However, life isn't fair as you have the opportunity to visit Peru while I can only go as far as Summerland! Bridge there this evening. Stay well. Travel safely. Cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment