Friday 4 January 2019

Hedgehogs Help with the Cutlery Drawers Relocation Blues: Friday, January 4th!

It is the ability to take a joke, not make one, that proves you have a sense of humor. -Max Eastman, journalist and poet (4 Jan 1883-1969) 





Good morning Patrick I hope the new year is treating you well so far... and the holidays were fun.Here we are in 2019 with new adventures awaiting all of us. Vanessa and I and mags saw the year out well with 10 days of visiting Quebec City and Ottawa. Quebec City was a first for us and it was magical in winter. Very cold which I embraced with my fur vest. We enjoyed excellent food, walk a lot , visited the lower city and took the gondola back. There is a 100 year old toboggan run adjacent to the chateau Frontenac which vanessa enjoyed.
The one highlight which I enjoyed was going to spa Siberia. It is in the forest outside of Quebec City. You travel paths outside to hot tubs, and cold waterfalls and the warm up in quandset huts heated by wood burning stoves. And hang in hammocks to meditate and warm and dry up. I loved it!!!
 

Spent New Years in Ottawa with friends. The parliament blogs were beautiful at night. Back in Toronto now , shopping, walking and going to movies!! Will be back in penticton on Sunday I am looking forward to seeing you and of course playing bridge. Have you been snow shoeing a lot? Did you and Chloe get out at all? See you soon Judy Xo 

Hello Eastern Canadian! Obviously, you were extremely busy over hols and pleased to learn that you enjoyed such terrific visits/stays in Québec City, Ottawa and Toronto! On another matter, do you imagine you will want to play bridge on Monday? Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks! Welcome home. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Boy, do I know my Mother well! When I saw those hedgehogs on the mantel I said "well, those will only be there until early March when Mom gets home"
Ha ha ha...enjoy your own place until then Poppa!! You can smash Mom's pretty new salad bowl in protest!! Love to all across all borders, north and south xoxo You guys crack me up!

On a more sober note, I thought you would want to know that my good friend Connie (in Winnipeg), died yesterday at home at 2:15 am. She lived much longer than she was supposed to. I think you’ll remember she had ALS. 😢
Xoxo
I’m sorry to hear about your friend xoxo ALS has taken so many. Hi Carol, et al, Sincerest condolences on the death of your friend Connie. Our hearts go out to you and her family.

On a more upbeat note, imagine my surprise, this morning, when I made my way into the kitchen to feed the felines. Yogurt for appetizers which Miss Etta slurped down quite quickly and not hesitating a moment to lick what remained on Duke's dish! While I was waiting for my java to zap I turned towards the living room and almost fell over. My two favourite Mexican fish had somehow made their way from spare bedroom to join the hedgehogs and lizard on the mantle! I can only wonder if the Mexican Devil masks will be the next to make the journey from the garage. I might have to build some additional shelves above mantle, [Don't worry about construction costs, Lady Dar, as I still have plenty of scrap lumber!], as there are about seven of them!

Must away as I've plenty of kitchen drawer re-arranging to accomplish! I bought about eight new drawer organizers at Walmart yesterday, after I'd made a recycling run and before I went up to Sendero to cut off the limbs from Chloë's Christmas tree. She popped over after work and we cut Miss Etta's claws, little needles indeed. She loved the shrimp treats we gave her for being so good while I held her and Chloë snipped.

(News Flash: Just had a cease and desist order from Lady Dar who says, "STOP messing up my kitchen arrangements!" However, her girlfriend Carol, [She and her husband, Bruno, will stay for two weeks after Olga Polga leaves.], wants me to come to Qualicum Beach to organize her clothes closet!)

I started to watch Suburra after she left but was really disappointed as it was dubbed! I had been looking forward to hearing Italian and somehow the silly American accents simply took away from the whole effect. At times there were snippets of the original dialogue and it was wonderful but not enough to keep me interested so I am now watching Broadchurch which I am really enjoying. Much in the same vein as Vera and Happy Valley although not quite as dark as the latter. Duke slept on my tummy, as I was on couch for last episode, for about an hour. [Thank you Patrick.  We loved Broadchurch, Happy Valley and Last Tango in Halifax.]

Having heard about your new black and white bowl, Lady Dar, I was thinking of spray painting the hedgehogs to match, (so that they can co-exist on the mantle), so please send along a snap, along with one of your dish detergent as I can hardly believe that your are actually doing dishes. Do you remember how? Wonders never cease! Fondestos to Hammock Woman. Now that is The Lady Dar I know! Love and Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad!

PS: Forgot to mention that Duke accidentally knocked Lady Dar's "pretty new salad bowl" off the floating shelves and it smashed to smithereens! In fact, I suspect it wasn't an accidento, at all, but rather revenge for lack of lap time with The Young and the Useless! Pics: Burns Street Zoo with guard cats!

Hi Patrice, Happy new Year once again! I know we spoke briefly already and you told me some of the accounts described in you email below but it is always a pleasure when I get the chance to sit down and absorb what you have written and for the most part worthwhile reading haha.

I noticed the brother of the stunt man’s name you mentioned is Gladys, is that correct if so I am unfamiliar with the name but if he is a veteran of stunts in Vancouver would be very surprised if I had not run into him. It must have been interesting but also a tad uncomfortable perhaps showing them your renos? I say that as seeing as you had removed their major work as not being to your taste?, not that it matters but just thought that might creep into it.

Hearing Flamin and Sarge looking after four small children causes me to have to grip something for support as the thought of doing the same makes me faint!. Kudos to them for mustering up the patience and energy to manage that task but I suppose being genetically connected helps a lot. Sounds like you had a great Christmas time with family and friends, new and old. Nice that Chloe is settled in her new place and doing very well at her new job and also that Ayn was able to come up and spend some quality time as well. Love the descriptives of Corrine’s Excel rants and standoffish dinner help! And also the happiness of snuggling by the fire with the Wyatt 😊.


I have to say I really enjoyed the description of the ride as well and it was colourful enough that I could visualize riding along with you and enjoying the sights and chatting about stuff, next best thing I suppose to being there. I do miss riding with you and will endeavour to make more time to be able to do it. The weather here was absolutely dismal the last 36 hours with absolutely non stop torrential rain.

Colleen and Clover accompanied me down to Point Roberts to pick up a package and I was hoping to see that familiar band of light coloured sky to the South and perhaps get a reprieve and out for a walk. Seeing as Clover had not been out other than for a quick pee we went to South Beach while there but when we got out of the car the rain was coming at us sideways and winds high enough that there were four foot waves crashing on the rocks of the beach as the tide was very high as well. We opted instead to come back to Canada and head to Byrne creek park, a beautiful Lynn Valley type ravine very close to our home. Given the shelter of some very large trees and the fact that we had a window where the rain tapered off for an hour we had a very pleasant walk thankfully.

Colleen is heading off to the cabin today with two girlfriends she met in Belize while on her field school trip. I have been off for this week and have been taking advantage by cleaning and organizing the new addition to the shop. I have resolved to start selling off or giving away stuff I don’t see myself getting around to and trying to simplify my life to make an easier transition to a move or downsizing whatever form that takes in the not too distant future. Colleen wants to spend more time at the cabin and although I do enjoy it I can only handle it for a certain amount of time as I need to be busy doing something as a creative outlet or travelling or riding and the Valley although beautiful as you know is pretty small and isolated. We will see what unfolds as we of course have to consider the boys and what we want for them as well. Don’t want to be living our lives with only their living situation in mind but also not wanting to turn them out onto the street especially given the accommodation climate in Metro Vancouver.

Anyway, that’s our life in the big city for now. The rain has stopped, the sun is poking through here and there and I have a few days before heading back to Lost in Space for two months where I will stash as much cash away as possible so I can coast and work on a new plan after that. Take care, and have a great day! Al 

Hi Lost in Space Man! Really enjoyed your last message, Big Al! [Not that I don't like them all, of course!] Think your missives are soon going to outstrip mine, in terms of descriptive detail and length! You must have an awfully, awfully talented role model!!! However, just a few corrections as you are obviously "skimming" my messages! Gladys is the last name of former owners, not that of stunt man. [I haven't seen Amanda since I wrote that message but will endeavour to find out correct last name.] In fact, it wasn't at all uncomfortable having them over as I think they both felt that the new space really worked.
With respect to keeping your restless mind and fingers busy you can always hoof it up to Penticton and work for Chloë. I'm not kidding! There is so much call for handyman work, and more, of course, in all the strata units in her portfolio, (as well at 611 Burns Street!), that you'll need to head back to Sunshine Valley to rest and regret that you ever mentioned be constrained! Anyway, food for thought as you plan your future.

Lady Dar seems well ensconced in La Peñita and has attended some of Agneta's yoga classes already. I've been needling her about all the changes I've made to kitchen and living room since she left. At one point she said she couldn't sleep worrying about the broken bowl, [I told her Duke knocked the new one she'd just bought to match b/w decor, off shelf, smashing it to smithereens!], and the mantle, now home to some of the figurines I bought when we were in Guyabitos with you! So easy to pull the wool over Darjeeling's eyes! Stay well, dear friends. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Drawer re-arrangement! Mantle Menagerie! First put up hedgehogs, in exchange for fleece-lined Crocs, (too, too warm for my feet!), from Garden Works, I'd been given for Christmas. Duke has already sniffed them and he is pleased to have them here! Then added lizard, followed by fish, gradually, sadistically, stepping up the mental anguish!] 

Which bowl got broken, the white one? Going for dinner with Agneta, Matt and family tonight before they leave on Sunday. Off for siesta as coughed all night didn’t sleep much. Guess I need some rum. Unfortunately I have no money as bank machines very not responding some internet connection problem according to guy in the bank. Hugs Lady Dar

Hi Guyabitos Goil! Say hello Agneta, Matt and family. [Have you bumped into Lynn and Barb? Greetings to them as well.] Really sorry to hear about your cough. Can't Agneta lend you some money for rum and/or Tesalon, The Mexicans? You probably couldn't sleep worrying about broken bowl and me messing with your kitchen! Just messing with your head about bowl. So easy to pull the wool over your eyes, Darjeeling!

Anyway, after I had enjoyed my brunch, [your Christmas potatoes with fried oniones!], I tackled the re-arrangement of the spice, cutlery and dish towel drawers. I was pleased to find that the new organizer boxes I'd purchased worked well with most of the trays you had purchased initially and allowed me to divide up most everything and place items more efficiently. Moved the "daily" cutlery to the drawer closest to the wine fridge. This then allowed me to put all of the small kitchen utensils we use for many if not most meals as well as measuring spoons, and the like, (scissors of all kinds, manual lemon juicer, manual can-opener, [Her Ladyship, of course, will only use an electric one even though not plastic bags! Seems like a bit of an environmental contradiction here!], and the like, right below counter service where much of the mixing of ingredients, for baking or sauces is done. 

Below the top drawer, closest to stove, I used the polished aluminum dish rack which you rejected when new sink was installed, to arrange wax paper, aluminum foil, Ziploc bags, etc. It has a raised level so bottom shelf holds most of the boxes mentioned above and allows easy access to parchment paper and some of the other wraps not used regularly. Have concentrated the spices in the first two top drawers on the other side of the dish washer and left all the silverware, [Originally, sets belonged to both our parents and they presented amalgamated collections to us on our 25th wedding anniversary.], where Lady Dar had put it initially as having it there is probably best place for it. Left the spice drawer on the island but was able to arrange it more efficiently using one of the spice trays which I replaced, on the other side, with the new organizers. where you had put it initially as having it there is probably best place for it. Left the spice drawer on the island but was able to arrange it more efficiently using one of the spice trays which I replaced, on the other side, with the new organizers.

At least this is the first pass and I must say I'm pleased with result. Will see how arrangement works out over next few weeks. Might need to make some changes but if so this should become evident as I test new configuration. Once this was done I put away last of Christmas decorations. I had purchased two shallower storage tubs at Walmart when I'd picked up organizers. I was able to repack two of the larger tubs so that I could have all of the fragile items, wrapped in Christmas tea towels and the like, put safely away, and then, due to their depth, slide them into storage cabinets in Rumpus Room, above deeper tubs. That being said, will have to store two tubs, (one filled with Halloween decorations, other with Xmas items), in the garage. 

Organizing this space is my next project but I'll have to visit liquor store first as I'll need plenty of Walter Hicks' Old Fashioned 125º Navy Rum, (71.4%!)! Have been self-medicating with it over last few days and am pleased to report that my cough has almost disappeared. [Haven't coughed at all during the night for last two nights. I make myself a stiff hot toddy, using a good dollop of Purdy's Ginger Syrup, and sip my home-made "cough medicine" as I'm finishing last episode of the series I happen to be watching.]

Anyway, after I'd finished in Rumpus Room I went outside to cut up a number of scrap 4" x 4"'s I had been intending to use for firewood. Didn't take long and once I'd stacked them atop row in front of garage I filled a number of large boxes with firewood taken from side of house. Have used all the large pieces outside the garage entrance. Stacked the filled boxes on back patio steps, to keep them dry, in case it snows, and makes it easier to fill the baskets I bring into the living room. Miss Etta was most helpful, sitting atop the fence, curious as all get-out, as I was up on the step-ladder. 

Must away as I want to lay a fire, [So mild today that most of snow has melted and even the thick ice in back lane is almost gone! Didn't need a fire earlier as nobody to complain about how chilly house was!], and have a quick shower before I eat dinner. Can hardly wait to get back to Broadchurch! Much love to you, my Darling. Take care of yourself. Miss you but kittens are keeping me company. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Drawer re-arrangement!

This letter is so reminiscent of the ones you would write your parents from the grocery store as a teen!! Perfect boy indeed doing so many improvements!! Hello Tinsel Town Historian! Only difference is that instead of using a typewriter I'm now composing with a computer. Message remains the same. Love and Cheers, Burns Street Roving Reporter, byline in Penticton Herald under Patrizzio The Perfect!

Hello Turn-Over-a-New Page People! Trust everyone is well and enjoyed the season's holidays with friends and family. To date, nobody has suggested a title for next discussion with the exception of Dame Judith who has put forward, Milkman by Anna Burns. I was reluctant to suggest anything but since there has been only this one title, (Not that I wouldn't be happy to read it!), I will suggest Robert Wilson's You Will Never Find Me. Please let me know if there are other books we should consider, along with date for next gathering. I suggest early in February but I am open to other dates. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Absentee Bidders! I would like to start our regular bridge evenings now that life is, I assume, back to regular schedules and all your New Year's resolutions have already been broken! To this end I will host on Monday evening, or any other night this coming week, should another date be better for most. Let me know if and when you can play and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick & Corinne! Thank you for including me in your Post-Boxing Day note. I have loved reading over this and seeing your photos! Hoping that you have a wonderful start to 2019 & that the rest of the year treats you well~ Much love,
Catalina
Hello and Happy New Year, Catalina! How absolutely lovely to hear from you. Trust all goes well. I was absolutely delighted that our very close friends, Ruthless and Ricardo, along with their son, Alejandro, were able to make it to the winery. When we last saw them, here in Penticton, in September, they were not at all sure if time would allow for a junket to Sonoma while they were visiting Stanford. Of course we have been raving about Coffaro ever since we discovered it. Must add that wines have improved immensely ever since you started working there!!!
 
I must say I'm pleased with result of new arrangement of kitchen drawers and will see how it works out over next few weeks. Funnily enough I had a message from a good friend in our bridge group and she said she was in stitches when I relayed what I'd done to kitchen: I laughed when you described your organizing efforts and Corinne’s response. It sounds like Bill and I. Bill asks me “who appointed you CEO of the house?” I replied: Please tell Wild Bill that I've started a support group, Insignificant Others of Pushy Women. No initiation fee but you have to provide a signed release from your partner stating that you can join! Do you have a chapter in Healdsburg? 'Ain't life grand! Stay well, Catalina. Hello and best wishes to your cruel task mistress and grumpy task master! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Hedgehogs, in exchange for fleece-lined Crocs, too, too warm for my feet, [Tell Croc Man!], I'd been given for Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment