Thursday 17 January 2019

Headwaters of Keremeos Creek Blues: Thursday, January 17th!

There are two kinds of fool. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." -John Brunner, science fiction writer (1934-1995) 


Up at 6:00 am when I heard Duke sharpening his claws on the bedroom broadloom! Wasn't planning to rise until 7:05 am but decided, once up, that I might as well stay up. Opened a can of no-name pumpkin and the felines quite liked it so pleased about that. After their vegetable they both went outside and I was free to zap my java and put my own breakfast, (yogurt, Mandarins and Rice Krispies, [working on box used for snowball production!]), together. Will be snowshoeing this morning out of Apex, towards the headwaters of Keremeos Creek. Temperature seems to be hovering around 1º C and snow flurries are predicted to happen towards 10:00 am so outing should be enjoyable.



Photo: Christoph Strässler
Etta is gazing out the front window as I scribe but El Diablo went out after playing with his elastics. Didn't bother washing them this morning. Had to laugh yesterday when he did so. He'd drop one elastic into one of the water bowls and then try to fish it out. Had jsut filled them up with fresh water so they were brimming. Elastic was right at bottom and it took him several tries to retrieve it by hooking one of his needles on it. With each unsuccessful attempt he'd spend time licking his wet paw dry before trying again. Took quite a few dips before he was successful. He reminded me of the Snow Monkeys we saw in Japan, washing their food or of Grizzlies fishing for salmon!

Looking at my calendar I can only play and host on Monday nite next week Thanks for the lovely evening jos And for driving susan and Diane Enjoy the rest of week all Judy Xo Monday night works for me. Jos Thanks Judy. Monday works well for me. DianneI can play Monday night , the 21st, if you need to make up 4 or 8. Monday is good for me, too. Susan 

Hello Bridge Sisterhood! With all of you playing there will be seven of us, Dummy to Move, so two tables! Hip Hip Hooray! See everyone, any time after 6:30 pm this coming Monday. Review your bidding on the weekend. Practice being aggressive on your significant other, pet or neighbour! Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: If you Skype us, Olga Polga/Lady Dar, you can play as well, but you must supply bridge prizes from the local markets! Did You get this Patrizzio? Our mail doesn't work a lot of the time. Not sure if it is the operator Carol Hi Smooth Operator! Yes, message received, loud and clear. See you on Monday. Over and Out, Cheers, Patrizzio!

The bill automatically is paid out of the joint acct. I’m not getting used to cold water showers and gas has been delivered and is back on. Played up the creek at Agneta’s there were 5 of us. Lots of fun. Cloudy and a bit cooler here right now. Lazy day planned as no yoga. Cleaner is coming this am. So we will go out to breakfast. Enjoy your snowshoeing. Hugs Corinne
 
I think we should start Fargo!! Hi Netflix Junkies! I agree! However, your Mother will have to stay in Tinsel Town for a month then! Cheers, Dad! You made me laugh out loud while sipping my coffee. I enjoyed The Five. Did you see River on Netflix? Got an early start today. Take care, Paprika. Carol Hello Royalty Free, Early Start Real Estate Agent! Still waiting for my cheque. Is it in the mail? Fondestos to Brunello. Cheers, Patrizzio! I think Corinne May kick you out if you delete Outlander. Bruno and I follow it too but I must admit the first seasons were the best. Tonight we got into Marcelo. Have you seen it? We are getting excited about going to Mexico, but my sister is away and I’m covering her business so I’ll be busy 'til we leave! Oh, and don’t sell the cats! 🐾❤️😂
 
Dear Patrick, Well I hope you survived your New Years, sounds like it was perfect doing what you love doing which is important.  I am sure your list is long with all things you  want to do in the new year mine is trying to  complete my book as I feel I have only four or five chapters left to create. It is exciting indeed but I probably will burn out as I always seem to do so time will tell.  Right now I am having fun. I listen to ted talks on most nights thought you might like this it is cute. Ted Talks: Why do Cats Act So Weird? Has six million hits. Off to bed, tired once again from long days of writing. Sometimes it takes a day just to create two paragraphs. Love, Jean Hi Writer in Residence! Thanks for the TED Talk tip. Quite enjoyed finding out why Etta and Duke behave as they do! Fondestos to John. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Art: James Montgomery Flagg, 1916
Hello Cold Water Canyon People, et al! Guess I'll have to purchase another towel warmer as I put old one out in back lane and it disappeared almost immediately! Will have to sell one of the cats. Which one? Snowshoe outing was absolutely wonderful. Snowing lightly for most of outing so this added to the sheer magic. Planning to go out this coming Sunday evening. Will have a full moon and the lunar eclipse will be visible if the skies are clear.  

Shoplifters was an extremely moving film. Had no idea, beforehand, that the familial relationships it explored were so complex and nuanced. An extremely powerful work. Sushi Heaven was wonderful so am pleased Chloë decided to take us there. Judy Blue wants to order the "boat" special next time. Two other tables ordered this selection while we were there. Have enough overlefts for another dinner. You'll never catch up on Outlander Lady Dar so we might as well delete series! Have already done so with The Young and the Useless, as Duke much prefers series Chloë and I watch. Started True Detective, 3rd Season, after we watched the tribulations of Brianna and Roger. Really well done:
Plays out in three separate time periods, telling the story of the 1980 disappearance of a young Arkansas boy and his sister, and a mystery that deepens over decades. Oscar winner Mahershala Ali stars as state police detective Wayne Hays, who recalls the days and weeks immediately following the crime, as well as developments in 1990, when he and his former partner, Roland West, were subpoenaed after a major break in the case. What started as a routine investigation becomes a long journey to dissect and make sense of the crime.

I recognized Ali and knew he played Remy Danton in House of Cards and Chloë knew he was the Cuban drug dealer, Juan, in Moonlight. I'd like to see it and believe I can view it on Amazon. He continues to do a superb job with his TD character. Must away to lay a fire so that I can heat of a heat up a pot of water to have a sponge bath! My concession to cold showers! Fondestos to Rough and Ready Olga Polga. Much Love to my Astral Plane Paramour. Cheers, Spiffy Specs Snowshoer Patrizzio/Dad!Pics: Two snaps from Aarturos from snowshoe outing; Duke watching Miss Etta! Pointer Boy on front steps!

Hello Josinta and her Magnificent 7, et al! Many thanks to all the stalwarts for their heavy snow-plowing and trail-blazing on the marvellous outing along Keremeos Crick. Snow Falling on Spruce, a Netflix film soon to be at better cinemas everywhere! Also a nod to St Kilian who joined us at the Edge, for java and a jaw, taking time from the slopes to say hello. Yet another remarkable journey into the quiet majesty of our own backyard. O lucky, fortunate us. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Thanks for snapolas, Pearly Whites! Great photos and subscripts! Thank you. I am cc'ing this reply to Franzl as well, so that you have his email. Aarturos Thanks, Aarturos!

[Hello Two-Fisted Drinkers! Thanks for the great tip! For my part I'll use Glenrothes Bourbon Cask Reserve, my latest malt acquisition, instead of wine! Cheers, Patrizzio!]
  
Hi all, Here is information for the coming week. Sunday, January 20th On Sunday evening we will have a full moon and a lunar eclipse. Two wonderful events in one evening!  The eclipse , if the skies are clear, will be visible on both sides of 9pm.

We will: -meet at 1900 (that’s 7pm) at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (1840 at IGA in Summerland) -carpool and drive to the Snowflake parking lot -snowshoe (by moonlight, hopefully) around the Snowflake area and perhaps down the slope to Nickel Plate Lake -enjoy the eclipse -return to our vehicles after a couple of hours in the moonlight, and head for home. Some imperatives -dress warmly (preferably in layers).  Also, bring a warm refreshment. -make sure you bring a headlamp with reliable batteries.  It is dark at times up there. I have a few folks already, but more are welcome.  Please let me know!


Thursday, January 24th Otto will be leading our Thursday hike.  He plans to explore “The Rock Garden” but not “The Secret Canyon” (too much deadfall!).  You will: -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland) -carpool and drive to the Snowflake parking lot
-snowshoe along the Vista Trail, then downhill to the Rock Garden, and return

-choose a place for debriefing and refreshment. Interested?  Let Otto know. Enjoy the coming week Cheers, Jim
 
Hi Patrick, The photos suggest a very nice snowshoe. For my part, I have been shovelling snow at a cool -19c with a wind chill. We should see you Thursday. Cheers, Tim Hello Wind Chill Factor People! You better hurry home with those temperatures! Travel safely. Yes, yesterday's snowshoe outing was terrific. Cheers, Patrizzio! The children’s glasses are a nice touch!

Hi James! I'm planning to join Lunar Eclipse outing! I've asked Chloë along but as of this writing she won't know until closer to time. Apparently she has piles of office paperwork to do on weekend and has to have this dealt with before she can play. Do I need to let you know, one way or another, or just show up if she manages to finish everything? Thanks, Patrizzio!Hi Chloë! I've let Jim know that you might be along if you manage to finish all your work. I have headlamps. Cheers, Dad No need to let me know further. Jim Hi Uncle Otto! I'd like to join you next Thursday. Thanks for offering to lead group. Cheers, Patrizzio! Great! See you Thursday! Otto Thanks, Unc!
 
Cutest picture!! Why it's like having our very own Harry Potter...but with a lot more attitude! Is Patrick wearing Judy’s glasses at the sushi Heaven? Very cute!
Mom He is!! He could not see the menu. We had a nice dinner, both of them hadn’t been and they enjoyed it!! 
Hi Patrick Last nite was fun! Chloe is lovely.Thanks for treating at dinner. I really liked it there and will certainly go back. Happy that we have enuff for 2 tables. I will need my bridge table. Will you bring it when you come over Thanks
See you Monday Enjoy the weekend Judy
Hi Judy Blue! Yes, indeed, yesterday evening, (both film, and meal), was more than a delight so thanks for your company. I'll be sure to bring the bridge table. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Christina Tasse Well the saga continues, we boarded the plane at 9:15am. I was seated and my name was called over the intercom to move to Priority Seating!, Orange juice or water was offered. 30 minutes later we were still on the ground, then being told due to technical issues the flight was to be cancelled. 
Now as you may know Sebastian our fearless leader left us today, what could we do? Had to wait for luggage to be off loaded from the plane, rang Intrepid who directed Sebastian to reconnect with us. Then we had to wait in line for another flight, along with 3 other flights that had been cancelled! Our fearless leader arrived after 30 mins and he directed us out of the line, by this time the South African couple had paid $100 USD to fly with another airline. Fortunately Sebastian knew the attendant at the counter and was able to get the 9 of us onto a 1:20pm flight. So we Re now back in the waiting room after having to go through security again.  😡 Oh the joys of International flights
 

 

 












No comments:

Post a Comment