Thursday 24 January 2019

Secret Garden GFA Jazz Blues: Thursday, January 24th!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. -Edith Wharton, novelist (24 Jan 1861-1937) 




Up at 6:00 am to let out both felines as neither wanted to eat! Locked myself in and was able to sleep until just after 7:00 am when my alarm went off. Duke raced inside when I opened the front door but Miss Etta stayed on the arm of the settee for quite some time before deigning to come into the kitchen. Cleaned the grate of ashes and laid the fire, ready to light when I'm back from snowshoeing.

Dear Hard Rock Pile Inmates! Thanks to His Majesty, King Ottokar, for being the titular leader of the trek to find the fabled Rock Pile. Had His Royalness been left to discharge his rightful duties, without the squabbling and deliberate misdirection of jealous, overly ambitious and conniving lieutenants/saboteurs, [Whose names I dare not speak for fear of deadly retaliation, Dear Reader!], we would not have struggled, endlessly, wearily, through the deepest of deep, deep snows, up truly unscalable cliffsides but have achieved our goal, most easily and without fear of mortal injury. 

I never imagined, even in my wildest nightmares, that I would yearn for the tyranny of Tyrannosaurus Rex under whose iron fist such mutinous behaviour would have been crushed, summarily! Still, in spite of all odds, the expedition survived, if barely so, and I needs must thank the Herculean Human Snow Plows who tirelessly broke trail while oft breaking our weakened and ever weakening spirits. Yet the cerulean sky and the icing powder snow invigorated our very souls and I thank one and all for this journey into another Winter Wonderland. Cheers, Author Unknown but serving Life plus Forty, in Solitary, thanks be to Heaven, away from the loquaciousness of He Who Must be Endured, yet always Adored!

Great photos Patrick! Thanks! Wish I could have joined you guys but I had a patrol day at Baldy on Thursday. The snow and sky were similar there to your photos with lots of new snow and sunshine! However by the end of the day I was trashed having kept up with some younger patrollers…I  was content to just have made it  all day. A great day there as well! Hope to make it hiking on Monday. Cheers…..Kilian Hi St Kilian! Glad you enjoyed snaps. You are omnipresent, Mr Ski Patrol! Bravo!!! I'm looking forward to Monday's boot hike so hope we'll connect. Might see you around Apex, if you are "working" on Saturday, as Chloë and I will try a route , [Moose Hut], my neighbour introduced me to a few weeks ago. Wonderful terrain but not too, too challenging, as you know, for rank beginners such as we are. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

kindly take me off this distribution list Hi Norbert! Have done so. You are now "officially removed. Cheers, Patrizzio! thanks Patrick, not to take away from your interesting stories, but just phasing this email address  for business and work related emails only. cheers Norbert Hi again, Norbert! Understand completely but speaking of work I placed an order for a large amount of home-made sausage months ago and delivery has never arrived! Cheers, Hungry Patrizzio! Great snow-shoe, beautiful weather and great friends, as always! Thanks everybody. Here is the link to my Flickr photos for Rock Garden & OK Vista Loop: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99264714@N02/albums/72157675925134057

Hi Aarturos! More fabulous snow landscapes! What an eye! What teeth! Bravo!!! Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Kaminski Goils! Aarturos' album. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick, Thanks for the lovely photos. We had a great day from beginning to end. What a fabulous snowshoe into the rock garden. The weather and snow conditions could not have been better!  Moreover, thank you very much for your gracious hosting of a pre-grannies’ fundraiser.  I really enjoyed the scotch tasting and I fully agree with your assessment about a good scotch should have some character that distinguishes it from others. Cheers,Tim and Marian

 
[Michele Darrow-Sutherland Sweet little flower, Kaiya, chillin' in the bath]
Patrick; Guessing that Corrine is at present down in Mexico getting roasted and toasted; that you are a man of considerable sartorial splendor, I thought you may be interested in this sale. How are you doing old boy? I had a very successful back surgery and now on the mend. cheers, Bill.

Hi Dangereuse and Guillermo! Terrific to hear form you and learn that your back surgery was so successful. Wonderful news indeed. Buona Fortuna with a speedy and full recovery.

Yes, Lady Dar is enjoying life in La Peñita, along with Olga Polga, friend from Summerland, with her until the 28th of this month. Thanks for the tip on the Annual Liquidation Sale but I'm trying to dispose of as much of my existing wardrobe as possible, let alone add to it! Still have shirts upon shirts from Norm Cardinal's Sample Sales of years past. 

Have been on some wonderful hikes and snowshoe outings, [Album is of this past Monday's junket.], ever since Lady Dar flew the coop so no time to be lonely. Planning to go to Apex on Saturday, with Chloë, to take her on a route my neighbour introduced me to a few weeks ago. Wonderful terrain but not too, too challenging for rank beginners such as we are. Sunday the South Okanagan Whisky Tasting Society has its Robbie Burns event so will be attending, along with my neighbour, a bit of a thank-you for all the help he has given me with small household tasks and problems over last little while. 

Chloë and I started watching Fargo. I was a tad reluctant to do so as I really enjoyed film and thought series might not live up to it. Happy to say I'm hooked and really am taken with Billy Bob as one of the villains. We are also watching Third Season of True Detective which I find fascinating. Oscar winner Mahershala Ali, (Moonlight, House of Cards), plays detective Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas. On my own, Dogs of Berlin, which deals with some really difficult issues in present day Germany. Fondestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Attended a Grandmothers for Africa fundraiser this evening and Marian and Tim Dunn, [No relation but I call them The Cousins!], and Aarturos and Josinta came over before event for drinks. Charlotte and Paul, other couple who joined us at The Barking Parrot for dinner and jazz concert. Walk home afterwards, along Penticton Creek.

Thanks for the Photos Patrick. Loved the one of burrowing Bruno. Of course you know that I have a big soft spot for Labs. I miss my beloved Turley so Much!!! cheers, Bill. ps: Had a great Similkameen wine the other night- Right Bank by Vanessa. Everything you could want from a big red: rich, complex, flavourful and balanced. Hi Wild Bill! Pleased you enjoyed the album. We have not visited Vanessa. I see tastings are by appointment only. Will have to try to drop by when next we plan to be in and around Cawston. How goes your back rehab?
Fondestos to Dangereuse. Cheers,  Patrizzio! Attachment: SOWTS tasting notes.
 
Hi Jazz Aficionados! How much did I win? Cheque's in the mail? Thanks to everyone for a terrific evening. Sorry Carlotta and Paulo couldn't join us at Burns beforehand. Next time. How was second set? Walk home was lovely, crisp air and burbling creek. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Burns; Barking Parrot and walk home. First things first. You won squat! In fact, our table was shut out of any winnings. The  jazz band’s second set was lively and fun. I thought that they did a fine job. In my view  the voice and guitar was a little too muted and the volume could have been a little louder. Nevertheless, they did an excellent job supporting the grannies and I thought that the crowd was into music more than previous years as people tapped, clapped and cheered. I wish that you had stayed for the second set but know that crisp night air makes for an invigorating walk. Cheers, Tim

Hi Timber! Glad you enjoyed snapolas. Great day in spite of the internecine wrangling! I certainly enjoyed having everyone over. Next time with Lady Dar. I'm sorry I missed the second set, especially after hearing your positive assessment. Perhaps I should have hidden a hip flask or two in my jacket and we could have had a few discrete snorts of a malt with a bit of a bite, not offering any to Aarturos as it would have been too, too rough for his refined taste! Poor lad, he is so easy to skewer! However, I beg to differ about winnings as I reviewed tape of the night's festivities with Bar Manager and it clearly shows my ticket strip winning! You pay for java on Monday! Cheers, Patrizzio!
PS: Yes, walk home was a treat. Rather a nice way to end the day which started out going to the delight of The Rock Pile!

Off to Vancouver Saturday and back on Tuesday. Coffee will have to wait. Fake tapes at the Barking Parrot! Tim Hi Donald! My Special Counsellor feels otherwise so your subpoena will be waiting for you upon your return to Summerland! Travel safely. Cheers,
Robert S. Mueller, on behalf of Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick,
Thank you for the warm welcome at your immaculate cleaned house and the very nice and " smooth" tasting drinks and bites. A great start for a jazzy evening in support for the Grandmothers in Africa. No wins at our table, lots more music from the jazz band until we nearly fell asleep. We will see you on Monday on our next adventure in Summerland. Cheers, Jos Hi Bridge Partner! Glad you enjoyed pre-dinner drinks. Evening was loads of fun. See you on Monday for hike and then bridge. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment