Saturday 19 January 2019

The KVR Blues: Saturday, January 19th!

Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862) 

Hello The Sisterhood! There was never a hyperlink. I just copied and pasted  Ted Talks: Why do Cats Act So Weird? As I scribe, Duke is a wild horse racing after a walnut, caroming it off the baseboards. Now he's chewing his elastic, preparatory to washing it! First he has to retrieve it from under one of arm chairs, one nearest fireplace. Miss Etta is gazing at the street from window in our bedroom, studiously ignoring her brother.

Last night I put their pumpkin on their plates and left them in the microwave. When The Boy hopped onto my chest at 5:00 am I let him out but Etta stayed on the chair in our bedroom. He was back in at 6:30 am and they both licked their plates clean. After nibbling on crunchies they both went out and I closed the Rumpus Room door to sleep-in until 8:30 am! Puff Ball Boy was on the front door mat. It was raining lightly earlier but roads are now dry so I'm planning a ride later. Must away as I want to lay a fire to be ready for when I return from cycling but have to turn on kitchen tap for Duke first. Watch video to learn more about our entertaining felines. Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio, Former Scullion, Now Cat Servant!
 
Olly and I are having a very slow day. No yoga so didn’t have to get going early. We are going to walk over to Guayabitos to watch the Beach Volley Ball that is starting today. Apparently some Olypmic contenders. The tents were up yesterday as well as 3 nets. Should be interesting. Maybe take a taxi to Los Ayala tomorrow for a beach day. As a good swimming beach. Almost finished Morocco last night but the battery ran out so will do that today and then watch Grace and Frankie as new season is starting. Had Agneta’s homemade chicken soup last night for supper. It was vert tasty. Love to you all, Mom aka Lady Dar
Hello Lazy La Peñitans! Before I forget, you still haven't mentioned where bridge book might be shelved. Please advise! Will you be wearing your bikinis to watch volleyball? Had an interesting link from Jake, also in Mexico, as you know. [What a terrible pipeline accident, near Mexico City. What is local coverage saying?] I recognized many people, both profs and students, so quite a time trip!

[Pat, When did Corrin grad from U of W ?? Enjoy this, how many can you name??? DBJS 
Hello DBJS, aka Jake! 

Thanks so much for the simply wonderful UW clip. Talk about a time-machine! In fact, I recognized quite a few people and the video was mesmerizing. I knew John Cote although I never studied with him. He and John Clake often played handball in the time slot ahead of me and my friends so I saw them at the courts, as well as at the small weight gym where JJ could lift an impressive amount of iron, given his frame. I took Clake's 1st Year Psychology class and I really enjoyed his most enjoyable lectures. He was always, in my experience, easy-going and approachable, ever a smile on his broad face. Although I was in the Honours English program I took mathematics,(Calculus), as an elective from Second Year on. Crawford Campbell was my instructor in First Year and I continued with math simply because he was one of the best teachers I have ever had. Bob Coates supervised the Math Lab I was in during First Year and he was a wonderful teacher as well. He introduced me to the early novels of George Orwell. With his tall stature, handsome visage, full beard, tweed jacket with patches on the elbows and pipe, he was the quintessential professor, someone we all aspired to be.
 
Funnily enough I me this wife, a physiotherapist, at WGH, when I spent a few nights there, recovering from a pretty serious case on anaphylactic shock as a result of massive injections of penicillin, administered before I was diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis. I was really heartbroken when he told me that they were returning to England, to start a family, I believe. Both he and Crawford had an enormous influence on me. As a senior mathematics student I ended up tutoring Math Labs myself, both during the school year and in Summer School, and that is how I first met Evelyn Goldstein. 
 
Uma Parameswaran was one of my English profs and I became friends with her, in part due to the fact that her brother, Sankar, I believe, was going out, for a time, with a fellow classmate, Diane McGifford, later to become Minister of Advanced Education and Literacy in Gary Doer's NDP government. Walter Swayze, of course, Head of the English Department and a truly remarkable individual. His son, David, was a bit of a rebel when I first knew him, only in passing. Corinne, however, studied, [She attended UW as mature student from '73'-'74' so video is well before her time although she knew many of the profs we did.], and had classes with Maret who became David's wife. 
 
They now live in Ottawa and we have stayed with them a number of times whenever travelling thereabouts. I had a note from her at Christmas and they were spending it in Winnipeg as her aged mother is not well. Both of David's parents are dead but we visited with the Swayzes on one of our summer trips to Winnipeg, probably ten years ago now. My cousin and her family still live in Wildwood Park and, at the time, so did David's parents. Was a delight to see Cindy and Bruce in Tony's. You as well, I think. You informed me of his death. Also recognized Sue Bannister. She was a good friend and I met her through Brett Buckingham as we were all involved in theatre. Many, many cast parties and other social activities such as swimming at Sherbrook Pool, paid for by United College, after which we'd often repair to Brett's apartment. He was one of few people in our circle that didn't live at home or in residence.  

Dennis Thornton was Brett's good friend and I first met Tom Mercer through them. Interestingly enough, I had a message, some time ago, from Tom on Facebook and it seems as he is in the process of rediscovering his "indigenous" roots, something Dennis had mentioned the last time I saw him, at least ten years ago, if not more, at a UW reunion which he and Brett co-hosted.  Also recognized Bendor-Samuel, Steinbring, Dean Eagle, Carl Ridd and Duff Roblin! Perhaps more when I take another gander. I assume it was Wilf Lockhart who narrated. When you are back and have a moment it might be fun, if interested, to go through the three VOX year books, 1966-1967, 1967-1968 and 1969 I have. Until then, Fondestos to Vittoria. Enjoy your beach-combing and swimming. I'm joining the snowshoeing outing tomorrow, Sunday evening. If weather cooperates we'll see full moon and lunar eclipse. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Pics: Why do Pentictonites know you as "Dave"? "Jake" not suitable for a teacher? Charter Day. You might remember that after the ceremony it started to rain and everyone moved inside to the cafeteria. I "rescued" a number of the UW flags behind your kneeling self, in the ensuing mayhem, and they adorned my "pad" in my Mom's basement for years, until I returned them, sheepishly, to the University Alumni association! Stunt Night. Student Council with Bruce and then Gerry Lenton, a close friend, first met in high school, Daniel McIntyre, Dave Campbell and Tom Mercer; Sue and Brett; Freshie Queens; On Baile's Strand with Gerry; Christmas carols with McDougall, Swayze, Cote, Brown, [Comptroller  who also played handball/], Hamilton and Bill Gairdner. I'm still in touch with his son, Jamie, who lives near London. Saw him this past April when I was there.
  
Also attached is the eulogy to Professor John J. Cote written by  classmate and friend, David Millar. It was presented at the reunion at both the Wine & Cheese and Luncheon events but it’s possible that many of you did not have the chance to see & read it.  David also includes his personal e-mail address in case any of you wishes to get in touch with him. Regards, Steve]

Dear Class of 1968 and/or Resident Alumnus, Here’s the link to the Change and Challenge film on YouTube: https://youtu.be/3dQfF_bRpUQ, the short movie that was shown before we set out on the Campus Tour. For those of who did not attend the reunion or did but could not attend the Campus Tour on the Saturday morning, this film was produced at the time that you were attending The University of Winnipeg so some of you and your professors are in it. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio, aka Harry Potter!
 
I think I lent the bridge book to someone in the group but can’t remember who.
Did you get the new printer hooked up. I’m never going to get caught up with Netflix. What do you suggest I watch when alone or with Olly we need a new series for this week. Too lazy to go to beach. Corinne Hello Lazoids!
Wow! Too, too lazy to go to the beach! Now that is lazy indeed! Okay, I'll ask the bridge group about bidding book. No, printer is not yet hooked up. I'm too lazy to read instructions! As well, no time what with cat games, hiking, snowshoeing and riding. Had a simply marvellous outing today. Left after I listened to Under the Influence with Terry O'Reilly at 11:30 am, CBC's Radio One. Fascinating episode on how radio and TV advertising started. 

Was ready to go by about 12:20 pm and it was a simply gorgeous day. More like early Spring or early Fall than mid-Winter. For most of ride sky was a dazzling blue and quite cloud free, sun blinding. Wind, out of the SSE/S when I set off, at 32-34 km/h, gusting to 46 km/h so I shelved my initial idea of heading along Eastside to OK Falls. Instead I followed my route regulare to PTC then along Lakeshore and Riverside. Did a quick loop around the mall and then retraced my steps, thinking I might go south as far as Skaha Lake Park but once I was heading down Ellis I changed my mind again. The wind was really whistling right into my face and I had to stand up to make decent headway. At this point, decided I'd use the KVR as my backup route and it worked out very well indeed.

The forceful blasts propelled me uphill even though the grade is rather gradual. Went as far as Vancouver Ave and did a slight dipsy-doodle, (three loops), before the Avenue itself, towards a gated community on Cambie Place. Just off the trail, where it intersects with Cambie Place, I encountered three deer, grazing on the roadside. They watched me carefully but didn't move as I rode past. Lovely creatures indeed, with large, liquid brown eyes and twitching
ears. Needed to do this loop. (from Pickering to Vancouver), ten times to log the distance I wanted but really, really enjoyed each circuit, particularly on way north as the view across the lake towards Summerland, was nothing short of magnificent. Okanagan Mountain had a fair bit of snow so it looked faery magical and the lake was almost a deep Mediterranean blue, reflecting the colour of the shining sky. Giant's Head majestic profile was completely visible, unlike it's cloud shrouded top of last Monday. Everyone I passed, dog walkers and families with strollers, had smiles on their faces, so grand was the afternoon. 

Had timed the distance perfectly and on the last descent I hit 50 km before I reached Pickering. Caught the light on Government and sailed down the back lane, pleased as punch, with my distance and the overall invigorating outing. Couldn't have been more comfortable even though the temperature dropped noticeably around 2:30 pm when heavy, dark clouds obscured the sun as it made its way towards the hills in the west. Back inside to light the fire I'd laid before I left and start dinner: minced turkey, zucchini, oniones, celery and various spices, with a mixed green saladin and turnip puff, Rosita! Chloë is coming to join me and I think we'll watch Safe, another series on Netflix: 

Widowed surgeon Tom has struggled to raise his two daughters alone following his wife's death a year ago. Things seem to be on the right track for the family, who live in a gated community, because they have close friends nearby and Tom is in the early stages of a new relationship. But the situation takes a turn for the worse when Jenny, Tom's oldest daughter, goes missing along with her boyfriend. Tom enlists girlfriend Sophie, a police detective, to help locate the teens, but her new partner is working her own agenda. As the investigation intensifies, Tom unearths dark secrets about the people closest to him in his affluent neighborhood. The drama series was created by mystery novelist Harlan Coben. 

As I mentioned in last message, if you weren't too lazy to read it in its entirety, I started watching Dogs of Berlin last night after I finished The Five. I would recommend both. As well, as mentioned, No Second Chance, (Une chance de trop),  so I think it was produced in France, initially, that I want to take a look at when I've timbut I gather I may have to fly down to watch them for you or put toothpicks under your eyelids! Must away as I need another glass of Open Sauvignon Blanc, 12.5% so pretty light on the Vino Richter Scale. Chloë's sipping a 2014 Roche Pinot Noir, 13.1% and Duke and Etta have shot glasses of malt!

Fondestos to The Sloths of La Peñita from Chloë who plans to come snowshoeing tomorrow evening as well. Jim French will lead group out of Snowflake, about half way to Apex from turnoff on Green Mountain Road. She will be showing Titanium Green to a woman, Amanda, from Kelowna, tomorrow. 
 
A chap, Quebécois, came to see car today but decided not to buy it. Chloë was pleased as she felt he was a racist. He asked her, on phone, if she was white. If so, he could trust her! Hello and Fondestos to Indolent Olga Polga and much Love to you, Lethargic Lady Dar. I guess I better send a message to Agneta and tell her to start acting like her old nickname, Sarge, and start whipping you indolent Babes into shape. Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad! Pics: Dinner, goulash, saladin and turnip puff!
 

Hello Qualicum Beach! Okay, I won't sell the felines if my royalty cheque arrives soon! I forgot to mention that we have seen River. I really like Nicola Walker. Have you seen her in Unforgotten? Terrific!!! Started watching Dogs of Berlin , (Which I'm quite enjoying, especially after spending a week in hospital there this past June!), last night after I finished The Five. Had to as Duke was asleep on my lap and I couldn't move! There are a number of other series, based on two of  Harlan Coben's books, Safe and No Second Chance, Une chance de trop, so I think it was produced in France, initially, that I want to take a look at when I've time. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: This morning, Hedgehog Boy and Rumpus Room Goil!
 
Hello Fartograms, Coming Monday we will be conquering Mount Campbell under the (very) capable and experienced leadership of King Ottokar! We will come together at the IGA in Summerland at 8:40AM, then carpool to Penticton where we will meet at the Home Hardware parking lot at 9:00AM, then carpool our way to the trail head. After the hike we will, as usual, decide where to recuperate with various refreshments. Hope to see you there! Aarturos


From Summerland Branch Library:
To: Patrick James Dunn
 
If you do not wish to receive this information via email, please contact the library.
 
To access and change your account preferences, please use the following link:

Your library membership will expire in 10 day(s). You can renew your membership by calling the library during bsiness hours. Be sure to have your library card handy when you call to renew.

 











 










 

If you do not wish to receive this information via email, please contact the library.

To access and change your account preferences, please use the following link:
http://ipac.orl.bc.ca/polaris/patronaccount/default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment