Wednesday 9 January 2019

Early Morning Sidewalk Sweeping Blues: Wednesday, January 9th!

 One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation and compassion. -Simone de Beauvoir, author and philosopher (9 Jan 1908-1986)
 




The felines became restless about 7:15 am although had been very quiet up until then. I gave in to their demands and started off their breakfast with a dollop of yogurt each. Duke, of course, had to have his served on counter top as his nose was out of joint. Miss Etta rushed over to where I serving while her brother was more stand-offish. Anyway, while they were crunch-crunch crunching away I went outside to sweep the sidewalks and driveway. Only a light dusting of snow. Noticed it had started before I went to bed but obviously not a heavy snowfall as I could use broom to sweep both back and front. Etta watched from the window while Jaguar Boy was leaping around, racing across the street, at one point. He followed me to the back driveway and then disappeared into Amanada's yard at one point, to resurface inside, worrying his favourite elastic. Now both are gazing out the front window.

Bill was just about to leave when I was out front, helping a friend down at Mount Baldy. He invited me to join him, along with his sister, on Friday, to go snowshoeing on Friday. Planning to join Thursday's hike with Jim French, et al, so I'm pleased that I'm getting these opportunities. Had thought I might ride today as roads were dry as a bone for all of yesterday.

Took out some pork from freezer last night and will do a turnip puff today. Chloë will come for dinner so I couldn't serve sausages, (She doesn't like ones we have.), or chicken! I guess she has been eating this for lunches. Anyway, I'm happy to accommodate! Watched The 12th Man last night and it is really an incredible story. Duke slept on Lady Dar's office chair while I watched and Miss Etta did the same on the armchair in our bedroom.

Re the 21st. Are both you and Lady Dar unavailable J Hi Dame Judith! Lady Dar will still be in Mexico on February 21st. I could meet on the 21st although it would not be my preference. I'll go with your decision. Just in from sweeping the sidewalks of last night's light dusting of snow. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Darn, I thought she was back. Should I try for a later date? The Thursday night has only 1 person not able to attend if you are willing to come on that night. I don't mind sending out another doodle.com and let folks know that Lady Dar is not back so let's try for another date. Let me know, and also when is she back. Judi Hi again, Dame Judith! Lady Dar isn't back until March 7th. She has read Becoming. She took it with her to La Peñita and will discuss it with a group of women, mainly black, in LA when she is there for a week, after leaving Mexico. I suggest we go ahead without her. I know she won't mind. Price of gallivanting without your loving husband! I gather Senka can't make it on the 21st, one of the reasons I opted to meet earlier. Anyway, you decide on date in February. Etta and Duke send their regards! Cheers, Patrizzio! Sounds good to me! 

The polls are now in. 9 of our members can make it on the Thursday night, the 21st. so it looks like that will be our book club meeting. Patrick, I know it wasn't your first choice but you did say you would come on that night, so thank you. Now, who will be hosting the event? I know that Lady Dar will still be in Mexico, however she is reading the book now and will be discussing it at a book club in California on her way back. Enjoy "Becoming" Dame Judith Sorry, I can't make it on Thursday. Jos
  
Chrysler Building Spire mechanism, Popular Science Monthly, August 1930
Hey my dearest Host Vati Just letting you know that I have a new email-address where I‘d like to keep receiving updates of your life and adventures 😃
Hope you guys are doing well? Lets try to catch up over skype soon. Lots of love Your Cruel Host Daughter Nadienka
Hello Cruelest of Cruel Swiss Host Daughters! Trust you are well and pleased to know that you'd like to keep receiving updates on the life and times of your Dearest Host Vati! Must away as I want to split some kindling and fill up the boxes I use for firewood, stored at side of house. Have to keep my kittens warm, almost as much trouble as you, Nadienka! Fondestos to you, my Darling, Darling Swiss Sparrow! Cheers, Cruel but Adoring, [if Demanding], Host Vati Patrizzio! PS: Let me know, with respect to time difference, when would be best time to Skype

“Utopian flying machines of the previous century”
Image: Romanet & cie., c. 1890
Hello Patrick! I heard that you sent us some Christmas photos, etc - but I don't think I ever received your message. There is some communication issue between us. I did get a jacquie lawson card from you recently, though, and replied to that. Did you get our "Happy New Year" photo? Hope you are the family are well and had a marvelous holiday season. I hope to hear back.
Patrizzia
Hello Dearest Patrizzia! Trust you and The Grumpoid are both well. Yes, I did receive your lovely Wedding/New Year's card. Congratulations to one and all! You are right, I did send along a message on December 28th. I know Catalina received it as she sent along a short message in the new year. Ricardo had sent me a snap of her with Ruthless and Alejandro. Both Lady Dar and I were green with envy that they were in new Tasting Room! Not sure what the "communication issue" is. Art any rate, I'll resend Christmas message. Fondestos to you, Patrizzia. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi again, Patrizzia! Here is message I sent in late December! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello The Naramata! How did photo shoot go? Looking forward to seeing you both on Sunday. Chloë is still moaning about missing your dinner invitation. Chloë's coming for dinner tonight so she'll have to make do with my pork loin and turnip puff! How is your driveway? Only a light dusting of snow here and already much has melted.

On another matter, Jugos, keep forgetting to mention that on Boxing Day we went to our neighbour's Open House and we were just about to leave as most of the others had already done so when there was a knock on the door and who should walk in but the former owners of 611 Burns Street! Karen and Ron Gladys had become quite good friends with Amanda and Gary, (now her ex-husband), and Kayla, their daughter, often baked cookies with Karen. Over the course of the visit Ron mentioned he often plays golf with you! Fore!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick—It’s a small world, eh? Picture shoot went rickety-boo! Thomas is a most talented photographer and a lovely young man to boot. You can see the results when you visit on the weekend by which time I hope to have fully recovered from this nasty recurring cold. I’m totally taking today off in hopes of shaking it finally before the weekend, which is a busy one, and our departure for Palm Desert next week. Cheers till Sunday 😸 Lynnie 

Hi Patrick, Interesting that you met Ron and Karen Gladish. I haven’t golfed with Ron for quite awhile but we hit it off when we did play and also did some drinking together after a tournament.

The Drake equation guesstimates the number of intelligent, communicative civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.

Image: Kevin Gill
In my hotel room in Vallenar, Chile after a very long day. We drove two hours up into the base of the Andes early this morning, not all that high at just under 2000 m. This area is at the southern end of the Atacama Desert, dry but not entirely without vegetation. Fabulous barren scenery, one guanaco sighting. A long day on site, then home to Vallenar and out for dinner. I had a most disappointing pisco sour, then a second rate Cab Sauv followed by a better Carmenere at a pretty good Peruvian restaurant. We drive to Copiapo airport early tomorrow (Thursday) morning to fly back to Santiago for meetings all afternoon, then fly Santiago - Toronto - Vancouver on Friday, then to Kelowna Saturday AM. Looking forward to a whisky with you on Sunday. Cheers, Peter
 
Parley aboard the Black Pearl
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Photo: PotC Wiki
Hi Soon-to-be-Leaving Lynne and Pisco Pete! Sorry to hear that you are suffering from a nasty cold, Lynne. I had a horrible cough, about a week ago and was able to knock it out by self-medicating with hot rum toddies! Almost sorry that I'm better! Hope you are well on road to full recovery now.

Devastated to hear, Pisco Pete, about your disappointing pisco sour and your second rate Cabbage! You'll really need a top-drawer malt on Sunday to compensate! I gather both Karen and Ron live to golf! Travel safely. Best to both of you. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: If you need a fur hot-water bottle Lynne, Etta would be more than happy to oblige! Rug is one we purchased in India!


Tummler, Happy New Year to you and yours. Hope this finds you and yours well. Jane just returned to work Monday after a good break at Ukiyo and in Ontario visiting her mother. The holiday break was fun if somewhat marred by a massive storm that hit the islands on 21 December putting our power until New Years eve. Not really critical but an inconvenience - we do have a stove top and wood heat… It puts things in perspective. We saw lots of Amira and Oliver and Cobby (his partner Laura did not get out because of work demands). We would of course welcome you at Ukiyo anytime. Let us know when you are getting to the city - maybe we can see you there. Maybe we could chat on the phone or online sometime soon and catch up. Fond regards to you and C, G&J y MoritaTummler, I thought of you and your experience in Germany when I heard some of the stories on the Early Edition (Stephen Quinn) in this series called Kindness of Strangers. I think you should submit yours. Here is a sample: <https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/the-early-edition/episode/15647269>

“Lucy Goes on Strike” episode of the TV show Here’s Lucy
Photo: CBS/Wikimedia
The polls are now in. 9 of our members can make it on the Thursday night, the 21st. so it looks like that will be our book club meeting. Patrick, I know it wasn't your first choice but you did say you would come on that night, so thank you. Now, who will be hosting the event? I know that Lady Dar will still be in Mexico, however she is reading the book now and will be discussing it at a book club in California on her way back. Enjoy "Becoming" Dame Judith Hello Pollster Principessa, et al! Thanks for conducting the poll, Dame Judith. I'm happy to host if that works for everyone. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Becoming Patrizzio!
That would be lovely Patrick. You r central. Dame Judith Hi Becomers! It's official! Meeting will be at 611 Burns on February 21st, anytime after 7:00 pm. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Photo: Chandler Hummell
Thanks patrick I’ll be there. If you would like me to come early to help with any prep I’d be more than happy to. Will bring an appie for sure. We’re heading to Belize on Tuesday;) be back in February. Michelle Hello Belize Bound Folk! What a great destination! Glad you can make gathering. Thanks, in advance, for appetizer and for offer of help, of course. Not sure if I will need any but come early anyway and we can visit/catch-up. Hello to Antonio and Fondestos to you, cousin! Stay well. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! Great. Look forward to seeing you guys there. Colin Thanks...see you then and looking forward to it! Louise 
 
Thank you Patrizzio for the very comprehensive update of your latest adventures. Sorry to hear about your stolen bike - gosh, you can't even trust folks in your very nice neighborhood - what a shame! Am I understanding that you rode all the way to Vancouver and back? That doesn't seem possible....I'm must be missing something! I'm glad to hear that you have Chloe there to keep you company while Corinne is away. I hope she is having a fabulous time, despite all the dish washing she now has to do!
 

Image: DC Database
Thanks for the tips on some good tv series. I had not heard of Broadchurch but see I can view it on Netflix. I did see Olivia Colman in The Favourite and she was very good! What a role. You'll have to see it too. Also have to check out Sinner. There is so much to see on tv. Here, we've watched a few series recently but I can't say I recommend any one of them wholeheartedly - The Romanoffs, Homecoming and Vanity Fair. They all had some good points, but none were all that compelling. On my own, I've been catching up on Ray Donovan, since Dave's not a fan of that one. I see that Corinne is recommending that you get a copy of Becoming. One of my sisters was reading it over the holidays and recommended it as well. I'm afraid I don't have anything more exciting to report on. We're glad to be back home after being away at my sister's two homes in Modesto and Mi-Wuk Village (a little mountainous hideaway just near the town of Sonora) over the new year's holiday weekend. They were hoping for a little snow there in Mi-Wuk but they're  at 4000 feet and didn't get any snow at that elevation until after we had left. Just a light dusting. Probably similar to what you get in Penticton, but I believe you are much lower in elevation there.
 

Photo: manhhai
 "We" are bottling wine this week and next and then next weekend, we're participating in yet another winery event (they keep coming around each year)! This one doesn't bring in too many people here at our winery, but it gives us a little exposure and a chance to have a party. Both daughters and new son-in-law will be here to help at the event. Should be fun! Take care and enjoy your "bachelor" days. Good luck with your surgery in March - keep us posted! Patrizzia Hi Wine Party People! Glad you received messages although I did not ride all the way to Vancouver. There is a street here in town called Vancouver Ave and that is where I rode! While there is a fair bit of snow at higher altitudes even the ski slopes at Apex are not well covered, seemingly similar to Mi-Wuk. Buona Fortuna with bottling and winery event. Cheers, Patrizzio! Thank you! Pat







 



No comments:

Post a Comment