Thursday 3 August 2017

Duke and Etta Meow the Travel Carrier/SPCA Blues: Thursday, August 3rd

What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give. -P.D. James, novelist (3 Aug 1920-2014) 


*** Breaking Story from CBC National News ***


A 70lb dog ferociously attacked her owner over a dispute about an alleged lack of attention.  Fortunately, the canine was quickly subdued with intensive belly rubbing.The dog has a bit of a spotty record, as it is know to be very annoying to Pentictonial felines. Branko Hello False News Person! [Are you in line for a job at the White House?] I can only assume that the alleged "attack" was fabricated and the photo "evidence" doctored as I heard nothing of such an incident reported on CBC and I assiduously monitor all channels! Spokesfeline, Dukester, for Pentictonials claimed it was mere balderdash, simply alternative facts, Ma'am, nothing but alternative facts! Please send link to broadcast regarding dog attack! 
  
Gather smoke in Vancouver is also becoming quite an issue. Chloë is driving up for the long-weekend, after work tomorrow. In part, she is here to look at houses as we are in the initial stages of selling the Loft on Wall Street. I gather first showing will be around August 14th, if everything falls into place before then. Fondestos and Cheers, Il Conduttore/ Patrizzio!


Pics: New carrier, PetMobile, used to take Etta and Duke to SPCA. Tomatoes in patio planter; corn; melon; First zucchini! [I know Master Gardeners in group spit on zucchini but these are our first "babies" and we are ever so proud of them!] Unverified evidence of vicious dog attack! Marriage Officiant at Little Shuswap, performing ceremony for Leah and Mason.

Another smokey dawn but haze seems to be abating, somewhat, so trust we'll have clear blue skies in the next little while. Houdini, aka, The Dukester, made another escape from Alcatraz, aka the garage, last night or in the wee smalls of the morning. Guess we'll have to start padlocking the cat door and hide the key! Realistically, I think we'll simply have to leave it open and trust that they will come and go, as they please, but probably return inside for most of the night, as they usually do, during the day. Now, as I scribe, listening to Laura Lynch on The Summer Edition of The Current, Dapper Duke is cat napping on a patio armchair, probably exhausted from his midnight wanderings.

Don't really know where the morning went, and the early afternoon, although I did cut up some firewood, after we brought the kittens back from the SPCA. Their appointment was for 2:00 pm, mainly for their booster shots, as well as one for rabies, given that they are outside felines and could encounter some infected wild critter or other. Had little, if any, difficulty putting them both in their new, spiffy, carrier bag and only Miss Etta let out a few wails on the way to see the vet. Once there, we were given an examination room and Etta immediately began to explore. As if sensing that something was going to happen to him, Master Duke stayed very close to the carrier. 

When Mike, the vet, a very likeable chap, arrived Duke was the first to be examined and he was extremely good, not fussing at all. I held him firmly before the injections were administered but he didn't squirm or cry when he was being given his two shots. However, he was more than happy to be returned to the carrier while Miss Etta took her turn with Mike. Very much the same behaviour as Duke, as he looked at her eyes, teeth, ears and felt her tummy, rib-cage, etc. She was just as quiet as Duke was when she had her two needles except Lady Dar held her in place. Examination over, we put her next to Duke and then we went to pay the bill. Saved about $45 by being seniors! No squawking, whatsoever, on way home, although Duke immediately hid under the bed in the guest bedroom as soon as we were back inside! 

After I'd cut and and stacked firewood, I suited/lubed up and was on the road, on my Brodie, by 4:00 pm. [Thought of all "youse guys", The Peleton, and wished "youse" were along on this ride.] Had decided I'd cycle the KVR but since I was hoping to turn outing into a 51 km ride I started with the basic PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside Loop, [At PTC one has a wonderful view of the clay cliffs, above Penticton, upon which I would soon be riding.], so that when I was at the bottom of the KVR, off Pickering Street, I had logged 12 km. From past rides I knew that it was approximately 18 km to the Little Tunnel so felt I was primed for distance I wanted. Very pleasant on way up, the slight head wind, 8 kph, providing a welcome cooling from the 32.8º C, although I believe the smoke haze prevented higher temperatures.

Not many other riders but did come across a couple of "flocks" of California Quail, once I'd crossed Naramata Road. In both groups, Mom and Pop were shepherding about eight or more chicks, balls of fluff which would explode in a blur of hummingbird wings, whirring off into the bush or alighting on any available low tree branches. Felt badly for causing them such alarm, they are such delightful, comical creatures, their goofy top-knots making me chortle every time I see them!

Further along, I enjoyed the cool relief of all the deep rock cuts one encounters, shaded therein, from the glowing corona of the lowering sun to the west. Many gorgeous views across Okanagan Lake, although Trout Creek and Summerland were shrouded in smoke, quite similar, but more sinister, of course, to the usual cover of mist one oftens sees. Once I'd reached the entrance to the Little Tunnel I had logged 29.5 km so I did a couple of loops on the tarmac beyond. I had calculated that if I registered 30.8 km when I started return I'd have 50.8 km when back on Pickering, enough to push me to my basic 51 km ride by time I was back at Burns Street.

Anyway, ride, after I waved goodbye to the Little Tunnel was more than exhilirating as I was able to maintain a speed of between 30 kph-31 kph for most of the downhill grade. My AVG was around 15.5 kph when I started back but had managed to push it up to around 18 kph when I crossed Naramata Road. Decided I'd return this way, as opposed to continuing on KVR, so lost a bit of speed on two small climbs past Littel Engine Winery. As well, cross wind didn't help either. However, once past La Frenz going was easier and I sailed along Upper Bench and down Johnson to do a final dipsy doodle on Farrell Street to take me back to the KVR. Then across Government to whoosh down White as far as Braid, to collect a bit more distance and then back to Burns to arrive with an AVG of 18.3 kph. Really pleased with ride as I have now calibrated it more closely. Next phase will be to stitich it together with a ride along west side of Skaha to OK Falls. Believe I'll be able to turn such an outing into a 100 km ride so looking forward to doing this in the next week or so. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1894756133#.WYPe8Alix8I.email 

We will leave for the mountains on Tuesday very early, will be back August 17th. I am happy to host bridge on Tuesday August 22nd, and maybe. I could do a pork roast on the bbq. Lets hope skies will clear up, and temperatures will drop to make it a perfect long weekend Cheers, Jos and Aart 

Hello Pork Roast People! Sounds like a wonderful idea, Josinta! With your approval, I'll send out a message, once I hear back from you, and let people know that the 22nd will most likely be a pot-luck evening, with significant others welcome as well.

Understand completely about your friend and jet-lag, etc., so simply let us know, when you know how he feels and we'll plan accordingly. If dinner doesn't work then perhaps just pop by for a drink. At any rate, you decide what will work best. We will be here and are not planning anything else so don't worry about arrangements if life is too, too complicated because of your ever busy, full schedules.

On another note I saw a sign, somewhere, on today's wonderful ride on the KVR to the Little Tunnel, that there is a Rotary Car Show at The Peach on Lakeshore on Saturday. Does Aarturo have anything to do with this or is it a project of Penticton Chapter only? Hope to take a look when we stroll down to Farmers' Market. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment