Monday 7 August 2017

Time For The End of The Long-Weekend Bridge Blues: Monday, August 7th!

No amount of belief makes something a fact. -James Randi, magician and skeptic (b. 7 Aug 1928) 


Up at 8:30 am to find that Katie and Chloë had gone to power walk the KVR! Just received the snap above from the early morning walkers. Lady Dar left a few minutes ago to meet with them at The Bench Market, on Vancouver Ave, just down the hill a tad, from where KVR crosses this street.
 
Pics from Alex's LAFD induction: Hi all Had a great afternoon at LAFD headquarters with Alex and his 74 fellow recruits headed to the academy for training. Today they formally accepted their positions. Tomorrow the real work begins!! Love to all Ayn 

Hi Tinsel Town Smoke Eaters! Congratulations to Alejandro! Hip Hip Hooray! He needs to start his training here in The Okanagan. Unfortunately, wildfires persist and the smoke blanketing much of the province is becoming a real health issue, especially with no rain in sight, to clear the atmosphere and help extinguish the raging blazes. Closer to home, there is a fire on Anarchist Mountain, just out of Osoyoos. Fortunately, as of latest reports I've heard, it is 60% contained. Wonder what conditions will be like as Flamin'/Sarge have invited us down this coming weekend for a couple of days. They will be there for a week before wedding in Kamloops. Smoke there has been terrible, closer as it is to the worst fires. Fondestos to one and all, Love and Cheers, Poppa/Dad/Patrizzio! Pic: Latest wildfire warning! Snap from back patio. Doesn't really to justice to what we saw as sun was a huge red globe through thick haze of smoke.


Hi Judy Blue! Trust you have enjoyed the long weekend, so far. Just wondering if your friend might like to play bridge with us this evening? Only six so far. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! Patrick and Corinne, I won't be at Bridge tonight. I am feeling under the weather today. Have fun👍

Hi Under The Weather Goil! Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Take care of yourself and hope we'll see you, up and about, next week, if not sooner. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Feel better, Corinne Hi again, Judy Blue! I just had a message from Pam and she isn't feeling well so has bowed out of this evening's game. That being the case, we won't need "our" table or another player. However, still hope you will attend as Lady Dar has loads of Marriage Officiant paper work to do so she doesn't mind sitting out for much of play. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Just reading your msgs Patrick and I am going to bow out too! I am happy to stay home after a busy weekend. Am feeling dozy so don't know if the smoke is getting to me or I just tired. Enjoy your cards And stay healthy Judy Hi Judy Blue! Sorry to hear that the smoke is probably affecting you. While we missed your sunny disposish, we had quite an entertaining evening of interesting hands. Played three rounds and Lady Dar had all the cards, with whichever partner she was paired with. I never played a single contract until I last round with her. Final score had The Queen of Hearts on top with just over 4000 points, followed by me at just over 2,000, then Phillipo with 1,900 and then Junk Food Gilliana at 1,400. Not very considerate hosts, winning all the fabulous bridge prizes! At any rate, trust we'll see you next week. I'll be sending out a message, in next little while, and, depending on response, will see who might host. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks for the update,Patrick !Last night sounded fun for lady dar!! Always fun when the cards are running your way. Keep me posted re next week😎 Judy
Hello Bridgeophiles! Trust we'll see more of you, next week. Venue for hosting is up for grabs with Lady Dar and I always happy to have game here, if not convenient elsewhere. At this point date is open, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday evening, so let me know what you think and if you will attend and I'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Games were so intense that I forgot to take any pictures!

Hi Power Walkers and Flatlander! Thanks for super snapola! I simply love that part of the KVR with the clay cliffs and sage. Don't worry about me as you are enjoying your Eggs Benedict and sipping Chai Lattes. I'm just fine doing dishes and laundry, shortly to make your Duke's bed as sheets are washed and dried. Vacuuming next! Fondestos and Love, Chief Scullion and Chamber Boy, Burns Street Gin Joint and Hot Sheet Hotel! PS: Dapper Duke asked me to hurry up and make bed as he finds the mattress softer than even his new pillow!

Hi Pat, for some reason my message said it was from George but it’s from me

Dear Patrizzio, How are you and Corinne? Thank you for your kind words. We all deal with ageing parents. It is difficult to see our parents' vulnerabilities. It is particularly difficult when my siblings and I are living far away from my parents. My sister is closest in Montreal and would like my parents to move to her country home to live with them which is an option albeit complicated, but my Dad seems to want to be here in his own home with his independence and freedom. 

My Mom is a people person and my Dad is not. He is sure he can care for my Mom. Trying to convince them both that some outside help would make a difference has been challenging but he knows he is tired and that having our help has made a difference. He is proud, stoic, extremely loyal and loving. My Mom just wants to be with people and needs stimulation. I am going to take him to look at a long term ‘memory’ wing at a new centre just a few blocks away where their doctor is. It may be an option for us in the months to come and the good thing is they have an apartment available. So many of the public care homes have huge waiting lists.

I have set up a few meetings with people this week. On Tuesday a woman will come over to tell us about her Caregiver program which organizes home visits to socialize with my Mom, help with a variety of jobs and give my Dad a break. We will look at some respite options for my Dad and some long term care homes if it comes to that in the future.



I wish we lived in the same city and I could just drop over and give them a hand. We will try and figure out something that will work for them so they retain their dignity and autonomy without compromising their health and safety at the end of their lives. In the meantime, I am enjoying concentrated time with them. I am trying to keep things light and fun. We are eating delicious food and getting to the park for walks as much as possible.

I am missing Georgio and look forward to seeing him sometime early next week. It sounds like you and Corinne are having a wonderful summer with your family, friends, cycling, varied activities, trips and her work. Looks like you are having lots of fun in Penticton with your freeloader friends and locals. Thanks for sharing your emails with me. We look forward to having you visit Galiano or us in Vancouver whenever that may be. Love to you both. Warm wishes, Jane


Hi Calamity and Giorgio! Lovely to hear from you although you are obviously immersed in a very difficult, trying situation. However, from the sounds of it, you seem to be dealing with matters as well as one might  expect given complications of distance and personalities. For our part we've enjoyed a very busy, full long-weekend.


Katie and
Chloë were up fairly early this morning to walk the KVR and around 11:00 am they phoned to invite Lady Dar to join them at The Bench Market, on Vancouver, just down from where KVR crosses this avenue. We had both eaten breakfast so she went to have a Chai Latte while I continued to answer messages. Back home, Katie packed up and left around 1:00 pm as she had some shopping to do in Kamloops. Shortly after waving goodbye we drove to Sendero Canyon to look at a number of units that The Sisterhood had seen earlier in the weekend. For my part, it is too isolated, among other things, although it is only about twenty minutes from us. At any rate, we next drove by a couple of other places and will see both tomorrow. Much closer to town and in lovely neighbourhoods. One we are most interested in has a legal rental suite so that would be a much needed mortgage helper for Chloë, as I'm sure you can well imagine.

Chloë left around 4:00 pm and I spent an hour or so cutting up more firewood, from Steve, across back lane. Cannot believe how much lumber I have gleaned from him, more than usable 2x4's and 2x6's while rest of "scraps" are perfect kindling. Just time for a quick shower and change and then Spiller Road Folk arrived for one table of bridge. Played three rounds and Lady Dar had all the cards, with whichever partner she was paired with. I never played a single contract until I last round with her. Final score had The Queen of Hearts on top with just over 4,000 points, followed by me at just over 2,000, then Phillipo with 1,900 and then Junk Food Gilliana at 1,400. Not very considerate hosts, winning all the fabulous bridge prizes!

Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Trust things work out as well as can be expected with your Mom and Dad, Jane. Stay well, take care of yourselves and we look forward to a visit, at some point. Cheers, Il Conduttore/Patrizzio, aka Freeloader Extraordinaire!

Hi everyone I've been in Alberta since last Friday morning and will remain until the end of August. My younger brother died unexpectedly last Thursday. The last few days have been difficult and there will still be a few more to follow.
I'll touch base with you when I get back. Until then I'll be busy with the family and dealing with my grief. It's a very sad time for me and us all. Hugs to all, Olly Dearest Olly, both Corinne and I were deeply saddened to learn of your brother's untimely death. Know we grieve with you and for you and family. Heartfelt condolences, Corinne and Patrick.


To all you dear friends I am thankful for the caring and heartfelt messages you have shared with me. It really helps being able to share this with you. Again it was so good hearing from all of you. I'll see you at the end of August. Many hugs to you all, Olly
 

No comments:

Post a Comment