Thursday 24 August 2017

UBC Summer Social in the South Okanagan Corbishley Blues: Thursday, August 24th!

A writer -- and, I believe, generally all persons -- must think that whatever happens to him or her is a resource. All things have been given to us for a purpose, and an artist must feel this more intensely. All that happens to us, including our humiliations, our misfortunes, our embarrassments, all is given to us as raw material, as clay, so that we may shape our art. -Jorge Luis Borges, writer (24 Aug 1899-1986)

Good afternoon, We look forward to welcoming you this Thursday, August 24, 2017 at the Summer Social in the South Okanagan hosted by Doug Corbishley, BASc ’59, and Diane Corbishley with special guest Professor Deborah Buszard. The event will be from 3:00pm to 5:00pm, with a brief speaking program beginning at 3:30pm. Please see the map for directions to 576 Hody Drive. Parking is available and a UBC staff member will be able to direct you to an available spot. For those with mobility challenges we do have a golf cart to assist you. Once again we look forward to seeing you this Thursday for the Summer Social in the South Okanagan. Warm regards, Jessie, Jessie Ravnsborg, MA Development & Alumni Engagement The University of British Columbia, Kelowna

 
Day dawned bakingly hot from the moment the sun appeared in the morning sky. This being the case, Lady Dar went out to water the front yard and vegetable patch as soon as she was up at  7:30 am, with Etta standing guard on the sidewalk to keep any local dogs, on early morning walks with their minders, away from her mistress!

Hello Newlyweds, et al! Trust all goes well with everyone. Finally, I've been able to edit the photos from the wonderful wedding weekend! I do apologize for the delay but Life's busy schedule intervened until now! I will be sending along five more albums after this so please forward any that might be of interest to those for whom I do not have email addresses. As well, Patti, please resend Rach's address as I cannot find message in which you passed it along, earlier. As well, anyone, let me know if I should use addresses other than what I might have in my Contacts list. Thanks.

Of course, many, many thanks to Ayn and Melvin, and everyone else who worked so hard and gave so generously to make this such a remarkable wedding and show of family love and support. Hope LAFD training regime is working out, Alexander, and that you and Sam are settling in to married life. How could that not be, given your commitment to one another. All of our love and best wishes to you both, Nana and Poppa!
Tying the Knot, Part 2: Hi Kids! Second installment! Cheers! Poppa/Patrizzio!Hi again, Kid! Tying the Knot, Part 3! The fabulous ceremony itself! Cheers, Poppa/Patrizzio! Jumping The Broom! Hi, yet again, Kids! Part 4! Love, Poppa/Patrizzio! Champagne and More! Hi, once more, Kids! Part 5, on the lawn! Love. Poppa/Patrizzio! Oxnard Farmers' Market and Silver Strand Festivities! Okay, Kids! Final installment! Love and Cheers, Poppa/Patrizzio!

I was up at just before 6:00 am, this morning, to let out the wildlings and make myself a mug of java before readying their much desired pumpkin and crunchies. Finally managed to finish editing pictures of Samantha's and Alexander's wedding festivities to put together a number of Flickr albums for them and rest of family and friends. Once I'd sent them off I had a bite to eat, (plain yogurt with one of the more than wonderful, juicily delicious peaches brought to us by Mah Jong Mary!], while I readied my camel pack. Then I suited/lubed up and was ready to roll at 11:30 pm. Had a very firm time constraint, from Lady Dar, as we were off to a UBCO Garden Party, in OK Falls, at 2:30 pm. This being the case I knew I would have to stay close to home and ride like hell to be back by 2:00 pm in time to shower and change. Furthermore, the wind was howling out of the NNE at 19.5 kph, more than three times as furiously as on Tuesday, so I didn't want to even think about bucking it, except on short stretches.

This being the case I put on my Gerbil face and simply Hampsterized myself with endless loops of the PTC then short bursts onto Lakeshore to start of ITU fencing and then back to PTC, adding on runs up Ellis and side streets off it to KVR. Run up it to Vancouver and then back down to repeat, ad naseum, until I had the distance I needed, within the strict time parameters, to head for home, just a few minutes before 2:00 pm and just in time to shower and change before Lynne walked in the door as she was hitching a ride with us to reception. Bravo Patrizzzio, not for the ride but for being on time, just for once! Cheers Ye Nay Sayers!!!
Map and Stats for ride:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1938415987#.WaCIPYM_24k.email


Dad, These are all so wonderful!! Thank you so much for taking the time to take these on such a special day, making these albums and sharing them with all of us xoxo Uncle Emil would be both impressed and proud that you've carried on his title of family archivist/photographer. I can't wait to go through them all again at home this weekend. Love, Ayn 

Hi Ayn! Thank you for the lovely words. I'm delighted that I was able to capture a small part of such a marvellous time in the life of our family. As I mentioned, I wish I had been able to send the pictures along sooner but other than that I trust they will bring back fond memories, laughs and tears of joy, for one and all, as the years go by. Again, as you say, I'm proud to wear Uncle Emil's mantle even if I don't really have his skill with a 35 mm camera, developing and enlarging competencies. As I need not tell you, or anyone, today's digital technology allows for much easier, though not necessarily better, photographs, from start to finish. At any rate, I hope that he and Sharktooth and Uncle Walter are looking down and enjoying seeing our continuing life and times. Fondestos to The Service Pooch from both Etta and Duke, behaving more like wild horses, galloping around the living room, up and over furniture, skewing the rugs as they dash away from each other! Love and Cheers, Dad! 

On another matter, we attended, along with Lynne, (Peter was golfing, of all things!), a fabulous reception, in OK Falls, in support of UBC Okanagan, Kelowna, at the simply gorgeous home of Diane and Doug Corbishley, both UBC Alumni. Wonderful, wonderful appetizers/desserts provided by Joy Road! Lakeshore terrace where most of the reception took place, provides stunning views of Skaha and surrounding hills. Had a chance to meet a number of the Deveopment Officers and current students, as well as some of the hoi aristoi of the Okanagan political establishment, Senator Fitzpatrick and his wife; Tom Siddon, [He knew of Peter from his work on the Naramata Water Board.], former Minister under Mulroney, and hosts, Diane and Doug, lovely, lovely people, all much involved in the development of UBCO.

Interestingly enough, one of the other attendees was
René Goldman, one of the professors in the Department Asian Studies at UBC and with whom Randy Nadeau studied during his PhD studies! As you will remember, Randy lived with us for three years, over the course of his program. Lynne and Peter might recall that we visited with him and Ruth, (now his ex-wife, as you well know!), in Dallas, the weekends before and after our week or so stay in New Orleans with them. René and his wife now live in Summerland. Trust "Arnold's" golf game went well as it was a terrific reception.

Pics: Dinner with Michelle Dunn, (My "cousin"!)), on Wednesday, after she and Nana went swimming, when we had our first two cobs of corn, along with zucchini from our modest vegetable plot. Sunset that evening. Chateau Corbishley! Fitzpatrick and Tinhorn Creek hootch! Joy Road's  Crème Brûlée! Vista extraordinaire! Sarah Campbell, UBCO Development Officer, with Lady Dar. Tom Siddon with Lynne and Amal, from Saudi Arabia, current student at UBCO. René with Patience, from Uganda, (another current UBCO student); Doug with Trophy, another current UBCO student, from the Caribbean, [I think but can't remember for sure!], and Patience; Polishing off my delicious Crème Brûlée! [I was lucky to save one as Lady Dar ate one of the two I had stashed in garden!] Diane and Doug! As a Chemical Engineer he spits on mine tailings!


Patrick! Pleasure meeting you at the Alumni Social.. I noticed the business card you gave me had an email written down at the back... I assume you could want it so here it is attached for your reference.P. S. - Good luck with your psychiatrist Kind Regards, Genadiy Master of Business Management, Bachelor of Science University of British Columbia My mission is to be the architect of my clients' financial goals and dreams.
Hello Genadiy! Great to meet you as well. Thank you for sending along the pdf of the back of my card. Really appreciate it as now I'll be able to get in touch with my shrink and schedule my next appointment! Couldn't have done it without you!

For our part we really enjoyed
the fabulous reception at the simply gorgeous home of Famiglia Corbishley.
Cannot remember if I asked you where you live but if here in the Okanagan you should pop by our place, in Penticton, for a visit, at some point. For now, all the best and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Financial Dream Architect Genadiy! Sunshine on water; Sail away;  Reaction to news that I just made a 20% return on my latest investment!



No comments:

Post a Comment