Tuesday 15 August 2017

Early Morning Constant Gardener Blues: Tuesday, August 15th!

It is the greatest of all advantages to enjoy no advantage at all. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862) 






Not up until 7:30 am as the Soccer Boy hadn't been fussing since around 5:00 am when he was agitating for a game. I managed to dissuade him and he settled down to allow me to continue to enjoy the bliss of falling in and out of sleep, listening to early morning radio. When I did get up, Miss Etta was still sleeping on the armchair in the living room and seemed inclined to stay there. Neither of them were in any rush to go outside so I prepared my java before "dismantling" the barricade I have taken to erecting in front of the cat door to the back patio. Then I took my mug of steaming Instanto with me while I watered the front garden.

Quite cool, relatively speaking, but probably more smoke than yesterday. When I turned the hose on the large grouping of lavender to the left of the front sidewalk, Duke dashed out from it, shaking off the water I had inadvertently doused him with! I didn't see him crouched beneath the bushes so he wasn't particularly happy with me, I'm sure! However, he couldn't have been too, too upset as he joined me in the back patio to supervise the watering process there. Back inside to watch my recorded stages of the Tour. I've moved my  computer into the living room so am all set up to view and digitate. O Bliss is Me, Dear Reader!

Spent most of the morning catching up on recording my rides of the last few days, taking breaks to play soccer with Duke. Had an appointment with Mark the Barber, at 3:00 pm, to have myself made presentable for Saturday's wedding! By the time I walked down, had my ears lowered and then walked home, it was 3:35 pm so I suited/lubed up and I was ready to ride. I had filled my camel pack earlier so just needed to strap it on and I was out the door. Had decided I'd make for Crescent Beach as the wind was back to its old tricks, blowing out of the north at between 14 kph-17 kph and I really didn't want to face it on the return leg. 

By now I can almost do this ride to Summerland on auto pilot so I can take in all sorts of things while I pedal away. Noticed some of the set-up, along Lakeshore, for the coming ITU Duathlon World Championships, here in little old Penticton, from the 19th-21st. A freind asked me to volunteer on Monday, at a Water Aid Station so I will be on shift at 7:00 am! I gather it will be for the Para Duathlon event so I'm very keen to watch. Unfortunately, we'll be out of town, in Kamloops, as mentioned above, for the many of the other World Championship events this coming weekend. At any rate, I simply followed my, by now, route regulare, and so dipsy-doodled into Red Wing East, for a couple of loops there, before doing the same at Kickinee, Soorimpt and Pyramid, tiny but lovely Provincial Parks and then into Sun-Oka for more of the same before leaving the highway in Trout Creek, on Wharf Rd.

Great to be away from the continuous stream of traffic whizzing by and I could enjoy this luxury all the way to Crescent Beach as there is a relatively new, (It opened a year or two ago.), separate pedestrian/bike path which parallels 97 from the north end of TC to the start of Lakeshore in Lower Town. Traffic here is usually very light so not an issue at all. As well, silt cliffs there provide additional protection from the wind so by the time I reached Crescent Beach I had achieved an AVG of 22.1 kph. Very pleased but felt that I probably wouldn't be able to push that to over 24 kph on way home as wind wasn't blowing nearly as forcefully as it was, a month or so ago when I managed to achieve my best speed of this season.

Felt a bit tired by the time I turned around but I was not complaining and I did push the AVG to 23.3 kph by the time I was close to Red Wing West. One quick loop here and then back on 97 to turn onto Riverside once I was over the channel. Not much traffic on Lakeshore so I whizzed along. Sometimes it is chock-a-block with cars trying to find parking but today I only had to dodge a few tourists riding four-wheeled, canopy covered rental units. Had to do a bit more dipsy-doodling at the Marina as I needed a little more than 1.5 km, somewhere, if I was to reach the distance goal for the day, 71 km. With a short run up Burns, to Eckhardt, before I rode to the back of our house, I managed just that although I dropped a couple of notches to achieve an AVG of 23.1 kph. Still, a far better result than when Liisa and I were battling Aeolus on Saturday and Duke came to the back patio to congratulate me as well as to chew on my salt-encrusted gloves and wonderfully odorous clip-ons, rolling on top of them in feline ecstasy! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1918847985#.WZOs75StY3g.email 
 
Hi Patrick and Corinne, Thank you again for your great hospitality. I really enjoyed my stay with you and the whole trip to the wine country. I loved the bike rides as immobility and "just eating / drinking / sitting around" doesn't suit me well, so thank you Patrick for lending the bike and leading the rides. I have many fond memories and with the detailed account of the trips I can dip back to them when the weather gets grey and the heat of the summer is but a memory. 

We arrived home safely but I'm now in a detox mode which started with a vigorous power yoga session last night followed by a lovely tomato salad dinner (I had big crop of ripe tomatoes in my garden). I poured a generous amount of Balsamic Bliss (from the Farmer's Market) on the tomatoes. Yam. On the way home I picked 20 lbs of peaches which wait canning. Another way to remember the summer. I'm off to my cottage tomorrow for a couple of days to pick blackberries, swim and relax. Thanks again and until next time Cheers, Liisa

Hi Detox Person! Trust all goes well with rehab! Thank you for your kind words but you are a very easy guest, not to mention a talented chef and cyclist, if a featherweight in the hootch department! Thanks for such a lovely time, food, wine, rides and company, of course. Glad the Balsamic Bliss went well with your home-grown tomatoes. I'll be sure to tell Leigh, in a couple of weeks, as we won't be at this Saturday's Market. For my part I've been enjoying Peter's peaches and the last of your blueberry scones! Finished off the last piece of Miradoro pizza so fridge is almost completely empty of "overlefts" our Swiss boarders term fro "left-overs"!

Went for a ride yesterday evening. Didn't leave until 7:00 pm so I had to take my LED lights along. Reminded me of being in France except I was out in the countryside there. Still, a very pleasant and cool outing. Today's ride was also a good one, in spite of the fair amount of smoke.


Happy Blackberry picking, swimming and relaxing. Quite the life. Must away as I want to watch more of The Tour. As mentioned, you are always welcome here, Liisa, so please keep that in mind for future getaways. Until then, stay well. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Sumac at Spirit Ridge, Osoyoos walk and Black Hills!


Great to see you:  It was great to see you all on our latest excursion to the south valley. The drive home yesterday was in marked contrast to the drive up on Thursday. Not a hint if smoke or haze. Now if we both could get some rain, that would be good. We were a bit chagrined to read Tony Gismondie's absolute rave on Terravista in Saturday's Vancouver Sun. We missed the boat here and I can assure you we will not be so unresponsive to friend's suggestions next time.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and be sure to give us a shout if you come this way. Cheers...Paul Hi Paolo et al! Thanks for the thanks but thank you and Joan, once more, for the lovely visit as well as the terrific meal at Miradoro. As you say, you'll need to return to visit Terravista so hurry up and pack! Thanks, as well, for the offer of a place to stay. Be careful, we might just be knocking on your door after Chloë moves in! Anyway, here are a few of the snaps I took Sunday evening. Cheers for now, to one and all, Patrizzio! Pics: Blow winds and crack your cheeks!Hi Lurkin' and Jugos! Here are some of the pictures from Miradoro this past Sunday evening. Wind was simply unbelievable, blowing over a glass of wine! Cheers for now, Patrizzio
 
Thanks for the Lobster: Dear Lynne and Peter,It was great to see you both on our recent visit. The lobster feast was truly memorable. Profuse thanks to Peter for making this happen. We owe you one mate. Saw Anne P for lunch today and all is well with her - she sends her best. Rest assured we will be back to the south valley at some point and we look forward to connecting them. Unless of course, you make it to Vancouver and we can get together then. The SLAIS celebration perhaps on Sept 29th. Enjoy the rest of your summer. Best Wishes....Paul and Joan Hi Paul, You don't owe me anything. It was my pleasure to bring the lobsters and enjoy your company. Looking forward to the next time.
Peter
Hi Crustacean People! Here are a few more snapolas from Tinhorn Creek. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks! Dear Corinne & Patrick, On behalf of the three of us thank you for your hospitality during our recent visit. We had a great time as always. Hope to see you in Vancouver soon. You really should consider coming for the double bill of the Writers Fest Gala and the SLAIS celebration the next night. We can offer a conveniently located bed for both. Help us drink some of this wine we came back with as well. Trust all goes well in the hunt for Cloe's new place and that the family unit is in tact once the deal is done. ☺  Best Wishes....Paul & Joan & Liisa


No comments:

Post a Comment