Wednesday 2 August 2017

When Taste Becomes Wine, Terravista Book Club Blues: Wednesday, August 2nd!

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer (2 Aug 1924-1987) 




Lazy sleep-in until almost 8:30 am, enjoying early morning CBC Radio, from Kelowna, as Lady Dar had absconded to the guest bedroom in the wee hours of the night. Still a thick blanket of smoke over Penticton and environs, although day seems a tad brighter than it was yesterday, at this time. Some more firewood, from Steve, across the back lane, to cut to size, with my skill saw, before breakfast, and then I'll see about a ride.

As things turned out, I wasn't able to work on cutting up firewood as I must have spent almost two hours waiting on TurboTax helpline and then working with a very patient Immanuel who was able to shepherd me through past income tax returns, [incredibly complicated by changed email addresses and passwords since originally filed!], as we need copies of parts of forms for Chloë's realtor. As well, Lady Dar had requested the use of my computer for her GFA meeting at 2:00 pm so a few minutes before it began, I made myself a couple of sandwiches and munched on them while I filled my camel pack.

By the time I was suited/lubed it was close to 2:30 pm as I headed down Ellis. Another very strong wind, right out of the north at 23 kph, so I knew I couldn't face a ride to OK Falls. Didn't really wish to make another run to Crescent Beach either, especially after what was, for me, a very good run and AVG 24 kph, the day before. Given this, I only wanted a "stretch' ride so opted to invoke my Hamster Cage route, with variations on the PTC/Ellis/KVR sections. After a run along Lakeshore/Riveride, spent most of my gerbalizing here as with the slight downhill grade on Ellis, effect of head wind was pretty well neutralized while the tail wind, on return, allowed me to maintian, or even better, slightly increase my AVG.

Back from start of KVR, looping around at Vancouver Ave at top of this stretch, there are a number of side streets, with small hills, so I used them to "race" up, using my downhill speed to crest them in top gear, in spite of the fierce head wind. Return was even easier with wind at my back so I was pleased with my 'wind management" system, Dear Reader! Think many of the patrons, sitting outside, under the covered patio, at Cannery Brewing, wondered what I was doing as I must have ridden past them more than a dozen times! Although I had toyed with making a run to Apex, decided constant exertion of long, long uphill grind was probably not a particularly good idea, given amount of smoke in the air.Consequently, The Gravol Grind was a much more viable option and served me well under present conditions. Cheers, although smoke envelopes one's dizzy head and gets in your eyes and lungs! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1892779507#.WYJs3sVSZBY.email


Unable to come tonight. My brother in law died suddenly of a heart attack yesterday.   Don't feel like a night out. Sorry. Dear Kevin and Judi! Deepest sympathy on the untimely death of your brother/brother-in-law. Thinking of you both. Heartfelt condolences. Corinne and Patrick.

Hello my bridge friends, We just got back from the Island trip last night. It was three weeks of comping, and kiting, and general fun. So I am a bit tired now, but still busy with unpacking and clean up. I might be, however, available for the next round of play, so see you soon. Cheers Mike Welcome Home, Kite Man and Greetings All! Consensus, at the end of the fabulous two-table play, at Judy Blue's place, [Thank you for hosting, luscious cherries, most quaffable Sauvignon Blanc and lip-smacking Key Lime pie, Justicia; sparkling Sparkling, Josinta, to toast Arlo; tasty gingersnaps, Naramata Goil and wonderful companionship everyone!], is that this Monday evening, of the long-weekend, suits most people. 

A number of us can also play on Tuesday as well so interested players please let me know your preference and we'll plan accordingly. Lady Dar and I are delighted to host  either night. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Olga Smolga bemoans Patrizzio's bidding and Junk Food Gilliana hides under a blanket!

Below is what I'm about to send out to Book Club members. Senka's/Bobolino's home is simply gorgeous, beautifully furnished after wonderful, wonderful renovations to existing, rather ordinary rancher-style home. The covered patio is huge and a fabulous area for entertaining at all times of the year, except perhaps in the deepest of a fierce winter. When Ben wasn't guarding the food he entertained us by rolling around in the middle of the extensive lawn off the patio. Cucumbers and mint were from their large garden. They keep chickens as well.

Hello Book Club Bureaucrats at the Ministry of Utmost Happiness, Terravista Jurisdiction! Thanks, muchly, to Senka, and Ben, it goes without saying, for hosting such a wonderful, wonderful evening, in such a gorgeous, gorgeous setting and providing incredibly delicious, delicious cheeses, dips and cooling, home-grown, succulent cucumber slices, not to mention the AB/FAB Fandango! Thanks, as well, to the others for the many bottles of wine and to everyone for the lively exchange of opinions and personal experience, expressed with more than certain acuity, in relation to When Breath Becomes Air.

Near the close of the gathering, Senka suggested The Ministry of Utmost Happiness, by Arundhati Roy, and the group agreed that this will be the next selection. I must admit that I have only a vague recollection, [Please blame the wine induced euphoria and ever so congenial company of The Sisterhood!], of where the next gathering will take place and on which date. I seem to recall that Pamela offered to host on Thursday, at 7:00 pm, October 12th. If this is not the case, Naramata Goil, please let me know and Lady Dar and I are more than happy to host gathering on this date. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Lady Dar will send, in a separate missive, at some later date, yet to be decided upon, by Her Royalness, a list of books some of you expressed an interest in perusing, for your continued reading pleasure. Apparently, I am not deemed worthy to have unrestricted access to these most secret of lists, even though I am a triple agent, (US, Russia and Croatia!), with a license to kill, wine bottles! Pics: Book Club with a View!


Thanks for filling me in on what sounded like a wonderful evening. I had been looking forward to discussing this book. Patricio, please keep us posted as to the location of the next meeting. I have marked the 12th of October on my Calendar, also noted the title of the next book. Best Wishes to all Dame Judith
I did indeed offer to host Book Club on Oct 12. Booking events in October already, yikes! Winter is coming too soon🙁 Pam 


Hi Dame Judith! We were both sorry that you were not able to attend Book Club but obviously your bother-in-law's sudden death made it impossible. Do hope you and Kevin are now beginning to cope with such a loss. 

You will most likely have seen the note from Pam confirming that she will host next gathering. She and Bill, her husband, live on Littlejohn Road, same short road as Marichel Winery, but their home is the first on the left, as you turn west off Naramata Road. Closer to the date, Thursday, October 12th, we can chat about car-pooling. As far as I know, Michelle Dunn will be joining the group so there will be four of us coming from Penticton. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Dapper Duke sporting his snazzy collar!

Hello Naramata Goil, et al! Thanks for confirming that you will host on Thursday, October 12th, at 7:00 pm, I assume.  If group approves, I suggest we all bring something to nibble upon and a flagon of wine to sip while we debate The Ministry of Utmost Happiness. Until we have occasion to meet again, enjoy the long-weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Webster Waldorf, April 15th, a stunning work in progress! Bring your bathing suits and we can debate book in hot tub!  See all of you on Oct 12 at 7 pm chez moi,  Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment