Saturday 12 August 2017

Ride For Your Life, Gale Force Sandstorm Blues: Saturday, August 12th!

It is easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them. -Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933) 


When we left the house at 7:30 am, down Ellis, to make for the SS Sicamous where we would cross the channel to ride south alongside it, to connect with the continuation of the KVR along the west side of Skaha, there was only a slight breeze out of the north at between 6-9 kph. Not very busy at that time of the morning so it was a most pleasant ride as we sailed along the channel, empty of tubers, crossing 97, just past the entrance to the Penticton Airport and into Wright's Beach Camp. Have never ridden this part of the KVR at this time of year and I was quite astonished to see the caravans and trailers packed in, like sardines, but a foot apart, cramming the shoreline like lemmings! Not my idea of a summer holiday by any stretch of the imagination but obviously an option for many.

[Many thanks Patrick and Corinne This is turning into a birthday month, started last week with lunch and my walking friends, then lunch at my French class, a wonderful party on Sunday and who knows what Trevor has organised for me today❤️ Then on Wednesday I join the Variety Club Bash as their VIP going to Mt Gambier. Love Tina xxx] Once past the congestion of the narrow access road, more a dirt track, in fact, we encountered few other cyclists or walkers and so were able to enjoy being so close to the water, wedged between the shore and impressive silt cliffs or sheer rock faces, already radiating heat. Soon found ourselves in Kaleden where I pointed out the empty concrete shell of the Kaleden Hotel there:

Constructed in 1911, the hotel had two dining rooms (one formal, one for serving the many single men who were busy on the newly planted orchards or home building projects in the area). The building also had its own power plant. Each room had a bath as well as an outdoor sleeping porch. Unfortunately, the Hotel never reopened after World War as there was no re-bar included when the pioneers built the structure, as described above, and the structure was deemed unsafe. As well, the evolution of better roads and faster transportation diminished the site's value as a stopover. 

After the interior was gutted and sold off, the hotel was slated to be demolished. However, neighbour, Jim Goodwin, was concerned about how blowing up the building might harm his home. He bought the hotel for a dollar. It changed hands a couple more times before the community gained ownership over the building and surrounding land.
The structure is now almost completely covered in ivy or vines, of some sort or other, and is really quite attractive. Leaving this historic landmark behind, we made our way past Ponderosa Point and the gorgeous resort there and not long afterward we were crossing the wonderful bridge near the south end of Skaha where it turns into the channel leading to Vaseux. Through Lions Park there and into OK Falls itself. Since we had encountered an increasing amount of bike traffic as we rode closer to OK Falls, I suggest we return via Eastdside. Liisa agreed and so we made for the bottom of McLean Creek Road.
 
Like the Jack Rabbit she is, Liisa took off at the start of the first rise and I was always a fair way behind her on the climb. On the first level section, past the initial, steepest section of the hill, who should come racing towards me but Phantom Fantini! I recognized his lime green jersey and as we waved to each other and I shouted out his nickname, he smiled his infectious grin. I feel badly that we've not ridden together for over an year but life's twists and turns seem to have insisted itself between us. Do hope, however, to rectify this in the next little while.

Liisa was waiting for me at the crest of the hill and once we rejoined we enjoyed the slight downhill grade through the charming valley. I pointed out the small lumber mill nestled in the base of the hillside and she said it reminded her of her brother's yard back in Fiinland where he works a wood lot, building log cabins. Then the swoop back down to Eastside and into the slight head wind, all the way home. As we made our way up South Main I remarked that we would have it pushing us along to Oliver, later that afternoon, when Liisa would join me, that far, on my way to Osoyoos. [How dreadfully wrong I was to be, Dear Reader!] 

One we hit Government we ran into a bit of a traffic jam as I suppose many of the streets close to downtown had been closed off for the Peach Festival Parade so needed to do a bit of dipsy-doodling to avoid  any stoppage. Close to 10:30 am I dropped Jack Rabbit Slims off at Burns Street, with about 47 km on the clock, and I continued on to Ellis as I wanted to log an additional 4 km to register my "basic" 51 km outing. Didn't take long as I simply had to do a couple of loops past Cannery Brewing and then I was ready to return. Very pleased with ride as, aside from Liisa's terrific company, I was able to calibrate my planned KVR 100+ km ride. If I add on the Oliver Ranch Road/Stag's Hollow Loop, I will have almost exactly, (or slightly more than), the distance I need/want! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1911796126#.WZCGILWtdyQ.email


Liisa had showered by the time I had stowed my bike so I hopped into the  shower myself. Quick rinse/change of clothes then a mug of java, along with a couple of Liisa's fabulous blueberry scones, and we were off to the Farmers' Market. Had a great time visiting with the various vendors we've come to know, introducing Liisa to them. Lady Dar had decided not to join us as she had a number of important errands to run before heading down to Osoyoos, while Paolo and Joan had strolled down earlier, to catch the parade. Around 12:30 pm we bumped into the Whitney's so we visited with their friend, Leighton, serving tastings at Saxon Estate's booth. After giving Leighton a hard time we waved goodbye and then walked the Dunbarites to Lakeshore as they were having lunch at the hooded Merganser.

[Hi Farmers' Market Folk! Trust all goes well. Here is my account of the KVR, along Skaha, and back via Eastside, and then a few snaps of market morning. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: From books to balsamic, from booze to beets!] 

Left them as they crossed the street and made our way back through the Market as Liisa wanted to pick up a small jar of honey. Mission accomplished we left Main to walk home via the path along Penticton Creek. Once back at Burns I packed the things I wanted to take to Spirit Ridge so that Lady Dar could put them in the MarriageMobile before she headed south. 
 
Liisa finished her own packing, so that it was ready for their car, and then we had a bite of lunch, fuel for the coming trip to Oliver and beyond, for me at least. Lady Dar arrived before the Whitneys and shortly we said goodbye to her they returned after their pleasant luncheon. Liisa helped moved their bags and wine cases to the carand then they were off as well.

After we said adieu I set out a couple of extra bowls of food for the soon to be "abandoned" kittens, (I did ask Amanda to look in on them, Der Reader!), and a large bowl of fresh water, as we wouldn't be back until Sunday evening, around 10:00 pm, I imagined. With both the cat doors open they could come and go, at will, and I assumed they would both spend the night inside, although we would have no way of knowing. 

Liisa was ready to roll about 2:345 pm but by the time I'd refilled my camel pack and lubed up it was just before 3:00 pm before we headed for Government. Liisa had mentioned, just as we left our back door, that the wind sock on Amanda's garage now indicated that the wind was now blowing out of the south. Bit annoying as I had hoped we'd have a tail wind but didn't think all that much about it until we actually turned off Eckhardt onto Government itself.

The change was simply phenomenal, unbelievable, if not incredible, now howling, and I do mean howling, Dear Reader, out of the south at 40 kph, gusting to 57 kph! The wind was so fierce that it literally sand blasted us with dust, (particularly towards the south end of Government where there are numerous unpaved industrial lots), which immediately stuck to our sunscreen, (making us look like special forces troops, camouflaged for a covert mission), some of the particles making their way past my sunglasses to irritate my eyes. 
 
Fortunately, once we had battled our way out of Penticton to ride along Skaha, the dust was replaced by spray from the whitecaps that were roiling across the whipped surface of the lake. At times, many times, in fact, I had to stand up in the saddle to barely move forward. At such times I could only think about how far we had yet to go, Liisa just to Oliver while I was continuing on to Osoyoos.

By the time we were on 97, just past Tickleberry's, on the outskirts of OK Falls, we had only traveled 19 km and it had taken us an hour and ten minutes, a distance that, under "normal" conditions, should only have been about 40 minutes or even less, especially since, for the past month or more, the wind has always been out of the north. As Liisa's bike didn't have a bottle holder I pulled on to a side road nearbye to hold on to a stop sign, (No touching the Dreaded Burning Ground, please note, Dear Reader!), while she came up beside me to take a long pull from my camel pack. My mouth was dry shortly after I took repeated sips of my own, along The Battle of Eastside, so I could only imagine just how thirsty Jack Rabbit must have been!

At any rate, the fierce blasts diminished somewhat, along Vaseux, although the several gradual rises , before the flats leading to Gallagher Lake, were work enough. By the time we reached the bridge there I was a considerable distance ahead, [The "heavy" Brodie made the going even tougher for Liisa.], so I circled in the entrance to the trailer park there waiting for her to catch up. Then, across the bridge, I pulled onto the frontage road which lead sto Dubh Glas Distillery where I found another stop sign to allow my baby reindeer to have another drink from my camel pack. Then back into the wind for about 14 km, although the stretch leading into Oliver itself is relatively flat and the wind certainly wasn't as much of an issue as it had been earlier in the ride.

Little traffic in Oliver, once we reached Main Street and were soon through, making both sets of traffic lights. Took advantage of the relative quiet from the considerable noise the wind usually engenders when riding into it, sheltered, somewhat, by the town's buildings lining the street, to thank Liisa for all three rides we'd taken. Once out of Oliver an easy few km to the turnoff to Tinhorn Creek. I was ahead of her, at this point, so I rode on the flat, towards the incredibly steep, albeit reasonably short hill, atop which the winery is perched. [Last year I only made it halfway up and then my legs simply couldn't turn the pedals!] By the time I circled back Liisa was coming down the driveway towards me so I thanked her again and we waved goodbye.

Back on 97, the highway, at this point, is lined, on both sides, by cherry orchards and I could feel a distinct cooling effect as the sprinklers were either on or had just been irrigating the trees. Cannot tell you how wonderful it felt as it was 33º C for most of the ride. Furthermore the cloud cover helped block out the direct rays of the sun and, as it was about 5:30 pm by this stage, the sun was starting to go behind some of the taller hills. As well, thought I might have had the wind beaten as I sailed along, relatively easily, on he slight downhill roller-coaster of the roadway. Unfortunately, just as I passed a road sign indicating Osoyoos was but 10 km ahead the wind hit, according to Garmin, about 35 kph. Not what I wanted, in the least, as you can well imagine, Dear Reader, but nothing to do but grit my teeth and plug on, thinking about Liisa, luxuriating on the terrace at Tinhorn, sipping a chilled glass of wine!


By the time I was over the bridge, which divides Skaha, making for the turnoff to Spirit Ridge I had about 64 km on my trusty odometre so I decided I might as well try for a 71 km outing after all the agony I'd already endured. This being the case I turned off the Crowsnest, to or three blocks before the road leading to Nk'Mip, and made my way along Lakeshore Drive, past the series of large resorts lining the beach there. Only had to go two km or so, before I retraced my steps as I knew that when I turned onto 45th Street to make my way up the slight hill to Spirit Ridge I only had a little less than 3 km to achieve the distnace I's decided upon. It was just after 7:00 pm when I reached the first part of the complex. Wasn't quite sure which building was Sumac, where we would be staying, but as I rode by the last one, at the end of the main pool, the gang were knocking back the vino on the balcony of the suite and shouted at me to keep going as dinner was already over! Wonderful warm reception so I was more than delighted to have arrived, even if I'd missed dinner, [I hadn't of course!], as by then all I could think about was water, my camel pack having been emptied earlier than it should have been, given Liisa's greedy gulps! What a wonderful, wonderful, memorable series of rides with such a strong, aggressive rider but more than happy, let me tell you, to unclip and dismount. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1912462363#.WZCFt7nuxu0.email


Hello there Sorry for the delay, it's been a long week. So let's see:
Resa's husband is Jonathan Gwartz or Jon for short. The baby lawyers, Danielle Bray and Josh Babataher-they will be married this November. The young man in glasses at Melvin's table was Jessica's youngest son, Jeshua James-Allen. The husband and wife were Tony and Alicia Allen at Mel's table. Sam's aunt is Melrose Ogden and her husband is the Reverend Renee Ogden. Lauren Beattie's son is Zanai and the father is Joe. Sam's brother is William, his girlfriend is Carly and William's son is Kobe. I think I got them all!! Hope the house-hunting is going well....fingers crossed for Chloe's job interview nexr Friday! Love Ayn Oh and yes, my so-called acceptable date was E.B. Dixon...aka Bernard

No comments:

Post a Comment